Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Gibbs1984

If we are flying international, is it possible to take the glasses with us if we take it as "carry on"?

You could, we had to fly domestically when we disembarked and took our glasses as carry on. They are well boxed and our cabin steward kindly added some extra packaging including a string handle!

Just make sure you don't have too much carry on as you would t want to check these in...If in doubt I'd wait to order once home and pay the shipping fee. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
You could, we had to fly domestically when we disembarked and took our glasses as carry on. They are well boxed and our cabin steward kindly added some extra packaging including a string handle!

Just make sure you don't have too much carry on as you would t want to check these in...If in doubt I'd wait to order once home and pay the shipping fee. Enjoy!

Thanks for this info

I did the class on Summit in May and was told we could not take the glasses with us, they had to be shipped. The reason given was that too many problems with broken glasses that people wanted replaced. Not sure if this was just the policy on Summit or something new fleet wide.

Yes, we are almost wine snobs, after we did a land tour of Europe and the tour guide was a wine and food writer as well, we were introduced to Riedel glasses. Yes there is a difference, we do not fuss with types, or which is better for RED or White, quite frankly I do not like the size of some. We buy here and there, where deals arise, even TJmax has some occasionally. The last ones(set of 4) I bought there for about $28, with senior day discount LOL, the same glasses could be found on Amazon for about $75.

Riedel will make a Walmart Winking Owl or Trader Vics $3 wine better/maybe actually drinkable with a good aerator. No I do not drink much of that stuff LOL, nor do I drink real expensive wines either.

One think about Riedel glasses they will break, sooner or later?

Edited by north29

I did the class on Summit in May and was told we could not take the glasses with us, they had to be shipped. The reason given was that too many problems with broken glasses that people wanted replaced. Not sure if this was just the policy on Summit or something new fleet wide.

I noticed that in the info webpage that it said you would be given a voucher to redeem online. No mention of being given them on the ship.

I noticed that in the info webpage that it said you would be given a voucher to redeem online. No mention of being given them on the ship.

Things may have changed, attendees at our tasting event were given the option to take the glasses or a voucher to redeem online. For the Aussies we were not given a choice, apparently the local Riedel distributor wouldn't honour the voucher redemption so we could only take the glasses with us, or go without [emoji33][emoji3]

• 1 month later...
My husband and I will be traveling on the Celebrity Millenium on June 24th on the Southbound Alaska Cruise.

I was wondering if anyone has participated in the Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop before and thinks its worth the $89 dollars?

I would most likely be doing this workshop alone due to my husband being more of a beer man, however that does not bother me.

Also I have read reviews in the past that before they would seve you wine in the appopriate glass if you participated in the workshop...do any of you know if this is still in practice?

Thanks!

We signed up for this and went to take it and when we saw the wines, we bolted: 4 cheap wines, one of which was the Celebrity Chardonnay. I recall on Reflection that the wines were going to be better, but we missed that one...On Summit, we went down to do this, and were very disappointed and the cheap wine selection.

Here's the deal:

We thought it was going to be a premium wine tasting and you get the glasses as a bonus.

The story is that it's really a Reidel sales event with some cheap wines to show off how the shape of the glasses accentuate the different types of wines. That's all well and good, but the Sommellier will do tastings with you in Reidel glasses to show you this without having to buy the glasses. The wine glasses are not a bad deal -- if you want all four glasses, but I didn't want half the glasses...so we spent the money on wine and not glasses. To each their own...

I just called Celebrity cruise lines and they said that for $87 it only includes the wine tasting in the Riedel glasses and that you do not actually get to keep the glasses? Is it worth $87 then?

No...it's all abt the glasses...you can do the tasting only for $15, which shows you how cheap the wine is (further recognizing that they make a profit on this $15)...but you can also ask the Cellar Masters Sommelier to do a private tasting with you using the machines or your premium beverage package and he or she will bring out the glasses and show you the difference.

Edited by soxfan2013

No...it's all abt the glasses...you can do the tasting only for $15, which shows you how cheap the wine is (further recognizing that they make a profit on this $15)...but you can also ask the Cellar Masters Sommelier to do a private tasting with you using the machines or your premium beverage package and he or she will bring out the glasses and show you the difference.

I think I paid about $25 on the Equinox in July for wine tasting only. I'm not sure if you could take glasses in person -- all present either paid for shipping or, like myself and at least one couple, paid lower fee as shipping costs were prohibitive (this for UK and the Netherlands (over $30).

FWIW, I enjoyed the workshop very much although I couldn't say I experienced a difference for the red wines. Your palate may be more discerning though!

Just got off an 8 night Norwegian fjords on eclipse. We are wine drinkers and really enjoyed the work shop. We were fortunate to have some nice wines with the work shop, which enhanced the experience. Ordered the glasses Monday and they are on their way. Would recommend this work shop for the dis believers of what a difference a glass can make in the enjoyment of a glass of wine. Cheers

We signed up for this and went to take it and when we saw the wines, we bolted: 4 cheap wines, one of which was the Celebrity Chardonnay. I recall on Reflection that the wines were going to be better, but we missed that one...On Summit, we went down to do this, and were very disappointed and the cheap wine selection.

Here's the deal:

We thought it was going to be a premium wine tasting and you get the glasses as a bonus.

The story is that it's really a Riedel sales event with some cheap wines to show off how the shape of the glasses accentuate the different types of wines. That's all well and good, but the Sommellier will do tastings with you in Reidel glasses to show you this without having to buy the glasses. The wine glasses are not a bad deal -- if you want all four glasses, but I didn't want half the glasses...so we spent the money on wine and not glasses. To each their own...

Yes, on the Summit all but one of the wines were Kendall Jackson. The reason is, as you pointed out, the whole emphasis is on the glasses and how the shape and rim work together to bring out the best qualities of the wine.

When redeeming the coupons online, the glasses are packaged in sets of two. Each participant can choose 2 sets of two. If you want all 4 glasses to be the same variety you just choose 2 sets of whichever is your choice. You have control and do not receive one of each glass. They are very well packaged and shipped well.

Our workshop was held on the last night for a reason. Some have mentioned having their wines served in Riedel after participating in the workshop, but because of tremendous breakage problems they are really trying to get away from that. Having already broken one of our glasses, I truly understand this!

Yes, on the Summit all but one of the wines were Kendall Jackson. The reason is, as you pointed out, the whole emphasis is on the glasses and how the shape and rim work together to bring out the best qualities of the wine.

When redeeming the coupons online, the glasses are packaged in sets of two. Each participant can choose 2 sets of two. If you want all 4 glasses to be the same variety you just choose 2 sets of whichever is your choice. You have control and do not receive one of each glass. They are very well packaged and shipped well.

Our workshop was held on the last night for a reason. Some have mentioned having their wines served in Riedel after participating in the workshop, but because of tremendous breakage problems they are really trying to get away from that. Having already broken one of our glasses, I truly understand this!

I didn't know this...I might have done it for 4 Reidel Cabernet glasses and not the assorted box that was presented...how much is the shipping?

Just got off an 8 night Norwegian fjords on eclipse. We are wine drinkers and really enjoyed the work shop. We were fortunate to have some nice wines with the work shop, which enhanced the experience. Ordered the glasses Monday and they are on their way. Would recommend this work shop for the dis believers of what a difference a glass can make in the enjoyment of a glass of wine. Cheers

Also, don't forget the fasinating couple who joined you for this pleasurable experience. Surely, they added to the pleasure of tasting some very good wines and discovering how the glasses did make a difference?

Cheers

Edited by Solon

I didn't know this...I might have done it for 4 Reidel Cabernet glasses and not the assorted box that was presented...how much is the shipping?

When you order the glasses on the website, you have the choice of ordering any combination of glasses you would like.

Shipping cost varies on where you are. Only when you order will the shipping cost be revealed.

My wife and I have taken the workshop in the past and really enjoyed it. Now the question for you folks is that as we are Canadian, has anyone Canadian, rather than carrying the glasses home, used the coupon for the glasses in Canada and had them shipped to their home?

Thanks for your helkp

We were told on our cruise that they no longer offer you to carry the glasses off the ship. Everything is now shipped to you.

Apparently, they were suffering too many breakages storing them on the ship!

So, there is no longer a choice.

Can't help with the shipping costs to you though.

• 1 month later...

We did this on our cruise in March and absolutely loved it! Great selection of wines, very informative.

Extract from my review below:

Our last wine event was the Riedel Wine Glass Tasting which was quite an eye opener. I didn’t know the value of a good wine glass before this event, and it was fantastic as you sampled four wines – once in a regular glass, once in a Riedel Glass. We also received four Riedel wine glasses to take home each (8 in total), which for us made this wine event well and truly worth the price of approx US$87 per person.

My daughter and I will be cruising on the Solstice leaving Sydney for the South Pacific (8 days) on 26 November. Anyone know whether there will be a Reidel workshop on this cruise?

On our 12 night cruise there were 6-8 wine events offered. I'd imagine on the 8 night cruise there might be 4-6 wine events on offer however the Riedel one, Coinosseur dinner and world wine events are very popular, so hopefully they keep these.