Barcelona security issues

808cruise

We're staying at Hesperia Ramblas Hotel on 7/1 & 7/2 (post 12 day Solstice) and 7/10 & 7/11 (post 7 day Carnival Magic).

I've read that for some it has been a challenge to get to area hotels from the port because of the protests that are happening in Plaza Catalunya.

Do you have any concerns or a plan?

We're staying at Hesperia Ramblas Hotel on 7/1 & 7/2 (post 12 day Solstice) and 7/10 & 7/11 (post 7 day Carnival Magic).

I've read that for some it has been a challenge to get to area hotels from the port because of the protests that are happening in Plaza Catalunya.

Do you have any concerns or a plan?

July is a whole month away. Lots can happen, both good and bad, between now and then. AND, Barcelona is large, large city. What's happening as a "protest" or "show" in one area doesn't mean the whole city is affected or shut down. Check these boards as you get closer and/or use Google news to check the latest development in Spain with their challenged economy. Right now it looks like Germany (and others with money) will be bailing out Greece to keep the euro from tumbling too much in value. Greece has had more immediate problems than Spain. We'll be in Barcelona June 6-7 and 19-20.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 42,625 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

There are several things you might consider:

Cabbies will do everything to avoid an area of congestion.

If you are still concerned about events which MIGHT take place in the future and you have refundable hotel reservations consider moving away from the Plaza and la Rambla. There are plenty of hotels on the Diaganol, although there is more car traffic. You can pick up the HOHO there as well.

If you have ever been to Barcelona when their football (soccer) team beats Madrid in a home match then you will think the protestors are tame. I don't mean to demean you concerns but frivolity can get just as out of hand as protests.

Please don't worry now about what might be. Events change constantly and I asssure you the people of Barcelona want you there too.

First of all, your hotel is more in the middle of the Ramblas and not at the top where the Plaza is. There should be no problem getting there from the port. secondly, protests in Barcelona are usually announced ahead of time so everyone knows when and where they will be. We were in Barcelona this past January/February and stayed on the Ramblas near the Plaza (Hotel 1898). They had a demonstration one evening that we knew about ahead of time. The protest line moved through the plaza and on out. It was very organized.

We will be back in Barcelona next week and haven't given this any thought. Enjoy your time there. It is an amazing city.

This has been discussed on the Ports of Call Spain board and from those who have been there they have noted that the demonstrations have been very peaceful. I would not change my plans and as Terry noted July is a long ways off relative to these items.

Keith

Archived