Finally Booked!

Well, after lurking on this forum for a while, and making a couple of posts, I just completed booking our first PG cruise. DW and I are set to set off for a 14 day cruise departing on April 7, 2012. This is a gift to ourselves in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary. We have only cruised the caribbean on large mass-market ships---Princess, Disney, NCL. (When I say mass-market, it does not mean "bad"--we've had nothing but positive experiences on our cruises!) We are looking forward to this new small ship experience, and appreciate all of the advice we have picked up here.

We ended up booking our own airfare to Papeete---we got a $1450/person credit for the airfare. I wanted to make the flight from LAX to PPT (and back) via business class, and Air Tahiti Nui was going to charge about $8500 for a business class upgrade. I was able to make my own arrangements on Air France in business class for significantly less. My only "regret" with the Air France flight is that it arrives in Tahiti at 3:50AM, and departs for LAX at 7:30AM the day we disembark--so hardly the most convenient times.

I have made a reservation at the IC hotel for 2 nights (well one full night --April 6, and what will be left of April 5). Our TA tells me that the room rate thru PG provides for airport to hotel, and hotel to ship transfers as well as breakfast, but the 2012 cruise brochure seems to indicate it includes only the room. If anyone knows if I am mistaken (hopefully), please let me know.

Look forward to learning more from you guys, and figuring out how we will spend our time while cruising.

Thanks.

Look forward to learning more from you guys, and figuring out how we will spend our time while cruising. Thanks.

Congrats on booking PG. There are a lot of nice folks on here that can offer a lot of info. :)

I had a little sticker shock about that price for the business class myself..I was planning on splurging but, yikes!, that is most of my budget for a 10 day trip to Ecuador and a short Galapagos cruise for 6 people in June. I just couldn't justify spending that budget for 8 hours of reclining an extra 30 degrees :eek: (maybe some champagne??)

Just curious about where you AF originates? LA?

I took advantage of the 2-week sale, $7600 inclusive from LAX for the 2 of us on the Cook Islands/Society Islands cruise on December 10th. Yup, down on deck 3 but who cares I'm on the PG for the same price I paid last year for the 10 day princess for a window room.

This will be our 16th trip to the South Pacific but our first time on the PG so I'm excited about it.

I had a little sticker shock about that price for the business class myself..I was planning on splurging but, yikes!, that is most of my budget for a 10 day trip to Ecuador and a short Galapagos cruise for 6 people in June. I just couldn't justify spending that budget for 8 hours of reclining an extra 30 degrees :eek: (maybe some champagne??)

Just curious about where you AF originates? LA?

Yes--the AF originates in LA. Departs 10:30PM; Arrives 3:50AM--lovely.

I took advantage of the 2-week sale, $7600 inclusive from LAX for the 2 of us on the Cook Islands/Society Islands cruise on December 10th. Yup, down on deck 3 but who cares I'm on the PG for the same price I paid last year for the 10 day princess for a window room.

This will be our 16th trip to the South Pacific but our first time on the PG so I'm excited about it.

That is an amazing price! You scored a deal on this.

Actually we were getting 2900 per person for June a few months ago but dates we wanted were not lining up. Also AF seats on this run are not flatbed or I would have made them line up!

Actually we were getting 2900 per person for June a few months ago but dates we wanted were not lining up. Also AF seats on this run are not flatbed or I would have made them line up!

I am embarrassed to say what we are paying based on these figures. I clearly need to become a smarter shopper!

Emdee, remember that is from LAX for the 11 night cruise for first time cruisers on the PG so we don't get the inner circle discount. Which cruise were you quoting? Currently the 1/2 off plus free airfare price on our cruise date is sitting at $9400 cheapest fare for 2 inclusive from LAX.

Archived