Montreal Airport

We will be on the Regatta arriving in Montreal on October 12th and staying at the Sheraton for two nites. I am not familiar with the airports in Montreal and noticed there are two. Don't know which is the correct one to choose for a flight back to NYC. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Only one, Pierre Trudeau International (YUL) is currently used for commercial flights. Mirabel used to be the main international airport, but is now only used for test flights and cargo I believe.

There is always the possibility of taking the bus to Burlington, Vermont, and flying home from there, which can often be much cheaper than YUL. Or, if you have the time, you can take the train back to New York. I believe you can walk to the train station (Gare centrale) from the Sheraton via the underground city, but confirm with them to be sure.

We will be on the Regatta arriving in Montreal on October 12th and staying at the Sheraton for two nites. I am not familiar with the airports in Montreal and noticed there are two. Don't know which is the correct one to choose for a flight back to NYC. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Only one for commercial flights. Montreal international or TRUDEAU airport YUL. Note you will clear US customs and immigration in Montreal. Bring your passport or birth cert.

Montreal actually has three airports:

• YUL - Montreal-Trudeau (All commercial passenger aviation)
  • YMX - Montreal-Mirabel (previously used for International flights for 1975-1997, now cargo aviation and medevac)
  • YHU - St-Hubert Airport (previously used for all flights 1927-1941, now general aviation)

The code of YMQ is still in use to refer to Montreal (all airports). But commercial passenger traffic is fully consolidated at YUL.

YUL has US pre-clearance. If your flight from Montreal is directly to the US, you will go through US clearance in the airport and your flight in the US arrives as if it was domestic. You will need a passport to fly from Canada to the US. (Birth certificates are not accepted.)

Archived