Will "greasing the palm" help?

SE NC

This is our 10th cruise. We always have gotten the the dinner setting we want, be it early or late. However, this time we booked a last minute 5 night cruise on the Fascination that leaves Saturday, June 11, (yes indeed....don't care if it is our 10th cruise....we are as excited as kids at Christmas!). Here's my question....we are confirmed for the 8:00 setting. We want the 6:00 setting. If it has not been changed when we board, I will visit the matre d. Will it help or should I "slip" him a twenty to change my time? Thanks for sharing any experience you may have had!:D

You are now platinum so guaranteed to get whichever time you want. show them your silver card and voila .. they will change you. You get first choice over people not platinum

dont need to tip to get it, but the maitre d' wouldnt mind.

You should have gotten the time you requested when you booked, but I can understand it being last minute, but even last minute Iv gotten my request.

This is our 10th cruise. We always have gotten the the dinner setting we want, be it early or late. However, this time we booked a last minute 5 night cruise on the Fascination that leaves Saturday, June 11, (yes indeed....don't care if it is our 10th cruise....we are as excited as kids at Christmas!). Here's my question....we are confirmed for the 8:00 setting. We want the 6:00 setting. If it has not been changed when we board, I will visit the matre d. Will it help or should I "slip" him a twenty to change my time? Thanks for sharing any experience you may have had!:D

If this is your 10th Carnival cruise you will be platinum and therefore can have any seating your little heart desires:D

You are now platinum so guaranteed to get whichever time you want. show them your silver card and voila .. they will change you. You get first choice over people not platinum

You should have gotten the time you requested when you booked, but I can understand it being last minute, but even last minute Iv gotten my request.

not platinum yet! 3 of the cruises were on other lines.....

The above info is correct. Check the time that the Maitre 'd will be accepting requests for changes, and note where he/she will be, and go there ASAP. The earlier you make the request, the more likely you'll be accommodated. I'd bet the chances of you getting your request granted are pretty good.

Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

As others have suggested. go to Maitre D' at beginning of cruise and request to be changed to earlier time.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case since the cruise is less than 2 weeks away.

I remember 1 time a platinum couple booked last minute (w/in 2 weeks of sailing), got 8pm dining, went to Maitre D', requested 6pm dining and couldn't get it. I saw them eating up on the lido every night.

As others have suggested. go to Maitre D' at beginning of cruise and request to be changed to earlier time.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case since the cruise is less than 2 weeks away.

I remember 1 time a platinum couple booked last minute (w/in 2 weeks of sailing), got 8pm dining, went to Maitre D', requested 6pm dining and couldn't get it. I saw them eating up on the lido every night.

Last cruise we booked months early and by error gave us anytime dining . Went to MD ( we are platinum) and asked to be changed to early.

His asst said she would see what she can do but they are pretty full up. Showed her platinum card again and she said the same thing.

Went to guest services to discuss and the next day we had a card with our new table at early seating.

This cruise we kind of forgot to tip the MD. One of his jobs is to train his staff.

Just a side note , that did not happen on the Dream .

The Maitre D that is currently on the Fascination is hilarious. Ever night around 9:00 he puts on "showtime", so if your request to change to early seating isn't granted and you are lucky enough to be in his dining room, you are in for a laugh. He calls himself Joseph the "supercharged" Maitre D :D .

Have a great cruise!

I don't believe in tipping... I believe in OVERTIPPING! I always ask for a table for two (I tell MD it's due to my social anxiety, in actuality I'm a salesman and a total extrovert) because I like to dine alone with my DW. The grease is a guarantee.

The last time I tried to tip the Maitre D he told me it was not necessary and gave me back my money. After I insisted that he take it he handed it to my wife and said he would do all that he could for us and did not need any extra money to do so(we were switching to a 2 person table for our honeymoon before YTD).

He switched us and we had a great cruise. At the end I tried once again to slip him a little extra and he again refused so I just added it to the extras at the end.

it was strange because it went opposite of everything I had read on here before taking the cruise.

This was on the Valor by the way.

How do you find out where and when the maitre d' will be to request a change?

There are actually two ways. It's almost always posted somewhere on the first days "Fun Times". (You've really got to look for it though!) You can also go to the pursers desk and simply ask them where the Maitre 'd will be, for dining change request, and they'll tell you exactly when, and where. No problem! :D

Also, I'm seeing mixed reports above reference dining requests for Platinum cruisers. As I understand it, dining requests are GUARANTEED for Platinum cruisers. (We're Platinum,,,well actually MileStone, and have NEVER had a problem getting our dining request granted!)

"SKY"

There are actually two ways. It's almost always posted somewhere on the first days "Fun Times". (You've really got to look for it though!) You can also go to the pursers desk and simply ask them where the Maitre 'd will be, for dining change request, and they'll tell you exactly when, and where. No problem! :D

Also, I'm seeing mixed reports above reference dining requests for Platinum cruisers. As I understand it, dining requests are GUARANTEED for Platinum cruisers. (We're Platinum,,,well actually MileStone, and have NEVER had a problem getting our dining request granted!)

"SKY"

One of the perks for platinum is guaranteed dinner time. If the MD does not train his people to honor this I will take action to get what we are entitled to. Always do it in a nice way but do not like to be taken advantaged of.

The Maitre D that is currently on the Fascination is hilarious. Ever night around 9:00 he puts on "showtime", so if your request to change to early seating isn't granted and you are lucky enough to be in his dining room, you are in for a laugh. He calls himself Joseph the "supercharged" Maitre D :D .

Have a great cruise!

Joseph is the best MD in the fleet in my opinion. And, he'll tell you to keep your money! He did that for us a few years back on Celebration.

I'm platinum and I understand that my dining time is guaranteed. However, I do not expect to be able to walk on to the ship and force the maitre de to change another cruiser's dining assignment to accommodate me if no tables are available.

I take care of my dining requests well before sailing and if a mistake is made or I change my mind on the way to the ship, I hope to be accommodated. Nothing more.:cool:

When you board the ship,Go see the maitre d,THERE is no need to tip him,But you can if you want to,ENJOY your cruise and have a great time:)):p;)

I ditto this post! We did this as soon as we got to the dining room and there was no problem at all. A tip was offered and refused! He said it was his job to help us out!:D Gotta love that kind of attitude!:D

Archived