Munich

Jesterscourt

Steamboats, just to let you know we will be in your city next week. We love Munich and have been there twice. We are staying at the Hotel Vitalis in Schwabing so that we can be closer to Olympia Park and the BMW Welt. It was rather difficult booking a hotel so I assume there is a Spring festival or something going on. Tourist alert: we will be taking a 4 hour Segway tour of Munich one day, and another day taking the train to Fussen to visit the castles. Also hope to see a concert at the Cuvillies Theater at the Residenz, which is supposed to be the most beautiful theater in Germany. And, although you probably hate it by now, we'll break down and go to Hofbrauhaus one night because I like their pork knuckles and kraut! Not to worry Steamboats and other Munchenicks, we'll hang out at the Viktuallenmarkt also (if I can ever figure out how to spell it!). If you could comment on the weather and something exciting happening next week, please do. Vielen danke! Steven

Welcome to Munich, Steven (o.k., it´s next week :D)!

Your plans sound pretty good! And there was only one letter wrong in Viktualienmarkt ;)!

I don´t know of anything special going on by next week. So I don´t have a clue why booking a hotel was difficult for that time of the year. School holidays start on Saturday (June 11th, two weeks for Pentecost). But that´s only in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg.

Thanks for the Segway alert :D! I see those tours passing by my office building (which is located in Ludwigstrasse).

The Cuvilliés Theater is really a great one. But there are only three shows next week, two of them are theater pieces, one is a music show (on Wednesday). So I´d suggest a tour during the day, check here

http://www.residenz-muenchen.de/englisch/tourist/opening.htm

I haven´t seen a forecast for next week. Yesterday and today we´ve been on the loser side - while whole Germany was sunny we had overcast and a little rain. That should change by the weekend.

steamboats

Haven't been there. Garmisch-Partenkirchen looks amazing, especially taking a chairlift up the Zugspitz. There is never enough time! Steamboats, it seems there is a special concert next Sunday night at the Cuvillies we will try to go to. I'll tell you, tickets are not cheap in Munich! We saw the opera in Budapest for 1/3 what we paid for the Munich Staatsoper, but it's worth it......

Steamboats, I know we're getting off the topic of River Cruising, but if you check the Cuvillies Residenz website, there is a concert there next Sunday 12 June at 22:00 of Andreas Skouras doing Mozart and Schubert. There are some other shows on other days before that, but I can't understand the German to figure out what they are if you could help me. Danke! Steve

Steve,

Now I´ve found it :D! It´s by Bavaria Klassik. That´s why it´s not listed on the other website. They have rented the theater for this concert. Did you opt for the pre concert dinner? That´s in one of the restaurants of Bavaria´s most famous chef. When you are at Hofbräuhaus make sure you go a little further to the Platzl Square. There you´ll find some shops by Alfons Schuhbeck. I higly recommend the ice cream and of course his spice shop. He´s running the restaurants Orlando and Südtiroler Stubn (1 star at Michelin).

steamboats

Thanks for the recommendation about Platzl. We love ice cream! Many years ago, I remember staying one night at the Hotel Platzl. What a great location! Wish I was staying there again. Will be leaving tomorrow for Munich. If you must know, the agenda for the trip is to pick up a car. Gee, I wonder what brand?

Sorry, but Munich is not known for Bratwurst ;)! That´s Nuremberg or Regensburg. Munich has it´s own sausage called Weißwurst (white sausage). But it´s not coming with Sauerkraut. Of course you can get Bratwurst and Sauerkraut in nearly all restaurants but they sell you Nürnberger Bratwurst.

steamboats

Nürnberger Bratwurst is the best. There are hundreds of sausages in Germany. The one that I could not handle was blood wurst. I lived in Augsburg for four years. Augsburg is part of Bavaria, but like Stuttgart, part of Swabia (ancient German tribe). Swabian food is as good as it gets in Germany.

Swabian spatzle is the best. I particularly liked spatzle with onions and cheese.

4774Papa,

Never say that a Bavarian Swabian is the same as a Baden-Württemberg Swabian :D:D!! Even the dialects are different.

Kässpatzn - love them!! Best when made by my Mom!! Check out here for a recipe

http://www.food-from-bavaria.de/de/reg_spez/einzelprodukt.php?an=228&display_lang=en

BTW Allgäu is part of Bavaria and those Swabians have a really hard to understand dialect. And I´m "multilingual" - born in Bavarian Swabia, spent my first years in Franconia (and you can talk for hours with a Franconian whether Franconia is legally a part of Bavaria) and now living in Munich (Upper Bavaria) for more than 30 years:D!

steamboats

4774Papa,

Never say that a Bavarian Swabian is the same as a Baden-Württemberg Swabian :D:D!! Even the dialects are different.

Kässpatzn - love them!! Best when made by my Mom!! Check out here for a recipe

http://www.food-from-bavaria.de/de/reg_spez/einzelprodukt.php?an=228&display_lang=en

BTW Allgäu is part of Bavaria and those Swabians have a really hard to understand dialect. And I´m "multilingual" - born in Bavarian Swabia, spent my first years in Franconia (and you can talk for hours with a Franconian whether Franconia is legally a part of Bavaria) and now living in Munich (Upper Bavaria) for more than 30 years:D!

steamboats

Gruss Gott,

I understand Swabians are related to the Helventi tribe that founded Switzerland. I think it is interesting that people in a modern country can still relate to tribal roots. I know Germans don't move around a lot like Americans.

Archived