Concerned about number of cruise ships in Dubrovnik port!

We will be in Dubrovnik on November 12, 2011.

We will be on one of 4 cruise ships in port on that day!!!!

I am concerned about the tremendous amount of tourists who will be cramming the city!

Also, the wall closes at 3pm, and we don't pull into port until 1pm.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about bringing this up?

Should I call the cruiseline? Should I EVEN bother trying to get them to look at this? I would hate to miss out on enjoying this city, which so many say is a favorite to see.

All thoughts are appreciated!

TIA

Not sure why you would call the cruiseline...... they truly aren't changing the itinerary for 3 other ships in port or a late arrival. Sometimes it just works out that way.

Not sure if your screen name is an indication of your cruise experience..... but assuming it is, you will find that 4 ships in port is not so bad...... have heard of 6-7-8 or more in port in Santorini on the same day.......and that is a real zoo !!!!! St Thomas USVI is another port that sometimes has a ton of ships on the same day.......Cozumel too. There are only so many ports that larger ships will fit into and everyone goes to the same ones - and sometimes on the same day.

You really just need to plan around what ya' get........ or book a different cruise that will give you more time in port. I would try to get off first thing, head to the wall and perhaps just go halfway around. That is what we did even though we had all day. We did the ocean side and it was nice. There are other things to see in the old town and even just strolling the small streets is entertaining. Good luck.

We were in Dubrovnik on Princess last summer and there were 5 ships in total there that day. We felt the town was overcrowded and I was absolutely terrified as we tried to exit via the Pila gate. There were crowds from newly arrived ships trying to get in whilst we were trying to get out. I felt so scared and had to get out of the crush but managed to find another gate out of the old town. Maybe Dubrovniklady could advise you on this?

I would avoid the Pila gate which is probably where your shuttle bus will drop you - hence the crowds- as there are various starting points to the walk around the walls if you want to do that as most first time visitors do. We'd also recommend the open top bus for a tour around the area. We're back in Dubrovnik this year and will DEFINITELY avoid the old town.

We were in Dubrovnik on Princess last summer and there were 5 ships in total there that day. We felt the town was overcrowded and I was absolutely terrified as we tried to exit via the Pila gate. There were crowds from newly arrived ships trying to get in whilst we were trying to get out. I felt so scared and had to get out of the crush but managed to find another gate out of the old town. Maybe Dubrovniklady could advise you on this?

I would avoid the Pila gate which is probably where your shuttle bus will drop you - hence the crowds- as there are various starting points to the walk around the walls if you want to do that as most first time visitors do. We'd also recommend the open top bus for a tour around the area. We're back in Dubrovnik this year and will DEFINITELY avoid the old town.

The Cabrio bus no longer runs in November, it is the beginning of the rainy season. Crowds at the Pile entrance to the city walls will not be huge, there will be no wait to climb up the steps. Walking the sea side, weather depending, will take about 1 hour and it does have many spectacular views. During October the wall closes at 6pm, 01 November it changes to 3pm.

If you are set in coming in November and want to walk the wall, it is best to take a taxi up to the old town entrance. Taxi cost is 75 Croatian kuna or 10 Euros and the trip takes about 5 minutes.

November weather can be sunny and cool, also cold, wet and very windy. Weather in October is much nicer with less rainy days.

Archived