About that Seattle Light Rail....

n0w0rn3v3r

You can take light rail into downtown Seattle all day and evening til 11 pm (not sure of the exact cut off times) Get off at Westlake Station and pop up to street level. You'll have about a 4 block walk to the market--You can ride the monorail to the Science center which is right at Westlake Center (the shopping area near the rail station) and see the Space Needle--so the answer is YES! You can use light rail to commute in and out of the city for those two places. Enjoy!

Oops--did this backwards....answer first, question second........

You can take light rail into downtown Seattle all day and evening til 11 pm (not sure of the exact cut off times) Get off at Westlake Station and pop up to street level. You'll have about a 4 block walk to the market--You can ride the monorail to the Science center which is right at Westlake Center (the shopping area near the rail station) and see the Space Needle--so the answer is YES! You can use light rail to commute in and out of the city for those two places. Enjoy

Is it possible since we are staying hear SeaTac to take light rail from Seatac to Pikes Market or Space Needle . Our plane arrives at 12:15 pm on a Saturday would like to visit downtown and then back on rail to our hotel near Seatac.

The station is on the main street in front of the airport; they're not connected. About an 7-10 minute walk from baggage claim. Map and directions are in this link. Basically you go to the 4th floor of the parking garage then walk thru the garage and out to the street.

If there isn't a cab in front of Westlake you'll find them in front of any hotel. Yes, pier 91 is a few miles from the downtown core.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Popular-destinations/Airport-service.xml

we used the light rail too get downtown with our carry-on bags. if you have large bags and more than 1 each i would not use it. they take up space that is meant for passengers. but from baggage there are directions too the light light and it is covered. you will have too take a elevator up and then there is a touch pad machine too purchase your tickets. it is a little over $2 now too ride pp one way. they do have random checks for tickets so make sure you have it. it was a nice convienient ride and there were plenty of seats when we were on it a 2:30 in the afternoon. it is easy too take a elevator up too street level at westlake and get too your hotel. and the monorail is easy too use also for the needle. i like the light rail.

First - Welcome to Seattle.

Second - I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything, but after seeing so many people struggle over the last couple of weeks, I think I should.

I ride the Light Rail Mon - Fri, from the "Sodo" station to the "Westlake" station at 06:30 and 15:30. The number of people I see wrestling with luggage on the train is amazing.

If you are getting on the train at the airport, you have first dibs on the area set aside for "luggage and bikes". Each car has one of these areas, so please take advantage of it and stow your luggage there. Also on each car are two folding "bench" type seats. Please do not put your luggage in the area left by the bench being folded up. This is marked as the handicap accessible area.

If you are going from downtown to the airport and board the train at any stop besides the "Westlake" station, good luck with your bags. It will not be impossible for you to do, but it will be tight....you may be stuck standing in the aisle holding onto your bags.

When you get to your stop, if you need additional time to get your bags on/off the train, there is a button you can push (check the "sound transit link light rail" website for info). When the lights start to blink on the doors, the doors are preparing to shut....push the button so that you can get all members of your group and your bags off the train.

Also note there was a fare increas as of 06/01, it's just a $0.25, but it is still an increase. Adult fare is $2.75 from Airport to Westlake. Do not be surprised to find a "Fare Enforcement" person come down the aisle and ask for your ticket. This is a sporadic event, but it does happen.

Just remember, I am a weekday commuter and these are my observations. Like everything else, your experience may be totally different depending on what day and time you are riding around town.

Enjoy your cruise.....

Thank you so very much for this post! You confirmed my suspicions about the light rail not being for travelers with luggage. We were heavily leaning toward a limo or towncar and now we know!

• 2 weeks later...

I am typically as thrifty as they come, looking for bargains when I can. However, when I am spending what it costs to go on a cruise (and I purchase cheap cabins), the taxi to the hotel/pier seems like a minor cost. ;)

Transportation from Seatac to the Sheraton downtown was one of the undecideds on my trip. We decided to go for the light rail yesterday which was a Saturday and it worked out ok. Here's what I learned as a first timer in Seattle using light rail. We are a family of 3 and had 4 large suitcases. We arrived at 2pm and since the airport is the start/end of the line it was definitely the only place I would get on with this amount of luggage. We used up the entire bike/luggage storage area with our suitcases. At each stop, more and more people got on and by the 3rd stop it was packed. 2 people had gotten on with bikes but no one else with luggage like we had. There was construction yesterday and the light rail wasn't running as frequently as normal so that may have had something to due with the amount of people onboard. The trip to Westlake took about 35 minutes and cost $6.75 for 2 adults and a youth. Compared to at least $45 for a cab I'd say it was worth it. My daughter seemed to really enjoy the ride.

So we got off at Westlake went up to street level (there are escalators and elevators) and we walked a block and a half which took about 3 minutes (past a few homeless kind of scary looking people) and we were at the Sheraton hotel.

I heard about the long walk from the airport terminals to the light rail station but it was not bad at all. It's right at the end of the parking garage and there are plenty of signs.

I would go this route again as long as we start at the airport or Westlake and the downtown hotel was nearby.

Of course, your results may vary.

Our experience using the Light Rail from Sea-Tac to Westlake was a good one. I had a 22-inch suitcase with 17-inch tote which I could stack, and my husband had a 25-inch suitecase with rolling tote. We arrived on a Friday around noon, and had no problems with the Light Rail. Of course, as others have mentioned, there's not a tremendous amount of space for luggage, and I couldn't even imagine trying to get on the train with luggage midway beetween the airport and the Westlake. It wasn't a very long walk from the baggage claim, 10 minutes at most. Once vending machine to sell tickets wasn't cooperating so we simply moved to the next one. A train was already there waiting on the platform when we arrived and it seemed to wait for a few minutes until it was at least half to three-quarters full before departing the station. It was a bit awkward those regarding seating. Some seats are actually elevated up a couple steps, so that's not good for those with luggage.

Transportation from Seatac to the Sheraton downtown was one of the undecideds on my trip. We decided to go for the light rail yesterday which was a Saturday and it worked out ok. Here's what I learned as a first timer in Seattle using light rail. We are a family of 3 and had 4 large suitcases. We arrived at 2pm and since the airport is the start/end of the line it was definitely the only place I would get on with this amount of luggage. We used up the entire bike/luggage storage area with our suitcases. At each stop, more and more people got on and by the 3rd stop it was packed. 2 people had gotten on with bikes but no one else with luggage like we had. There was construction yesterday and the light rail wasn't running as frequently as normal so that may have had something to due with the amount of people onboard. The trip to Westlake took about 35 minutes and cost $6.75 for 2 adults and a youth. Compared to at least $45 for a cab I'd say it was worth it. My daughter seemed to really enjoy the ride.

So we got off at Westlake went up to street level (there are escalators and elevators) and we walked a block and a half which took about 3 minutes (past a few homeless kind of scary looking people) and we were at the Sheraton hotel.

I heard about the long walk from the airport terminals to the light rail station but it was not bad at all. It's right at the end of the parking garage and there are plenty of signs.

I would go this route again as long as we start at the airport or Westlake and the downtown hotel was nearby.

Of course, your results may vary.

I appreciate the detailed information. I am staying at the Sheraton next month and plan on using the light rail. Can you tell me which exit you took at Westlake to get to the Sheraton. Can you see the Sheraton once you are on street level? If not, how did you know which direction to walk? Thanks!

I appreciate the detailed information. I am staying at the Sheraton next month and plan on using the light rail. Can you tell me which exit you took at Westlake to get to the Sheraton. Can you see the Sheraton once you are on street level? If not, how did you know which direction to walk? Thanks!

I'm glad the info helped. We exited on to pine st- I think that was the only way out but not positive. Anyway, exit onto pine then go left (east) a half block then make a right onto 6th ave at which point you will see the sheraton which is just 1 short block. Piece of cake!

I'm glad the info helped. We exited on to pine st- I think that was the only way out but not positive. Anyway, exit onto pine then go left (east) a half block then make a right onto 6th ave at which point you will see the sheraton which is just 1 short block. Piece of cake!

Thank you so much. It sounds easy enough!

the station is quite large. One exit brings you to 3rd and pine and the other to 5th and pine. You want to head towards 5th since the Sheraton is on 6th

Thanks for making that clear. When given 2 choices I have a knack for picking the wrong one.

The other thing you can always do, if you have a Smart phone [i have the iPhone] using the map application that comes loaded on all the iPhones, you can punch in directions . on the top bar have it reflect "Current Location" and then for the "to" address, put the hotel's address on that line and your GPS will guide you.

But what others have said, we took Pine Street 5th, 6th Street and upon entering the street level, we took a left and saw the Grand Hyatt about 1.5 blocks up the street. While at the Grand Hyatt I saw the Sheraton and it appeared to be only about another short block or two away. Not far from the light rail at all:)

Archived