About that Seattle Light Rail....

n0w0rn3v3r

First - Welcome to Seattle.

Second - I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything, but after seeing so many people struggle over the last couple of weeks, I think I should.

I ride the Light Rail Mon - Fri, from the "Sodo" station to the "Westlake" station at 06:30 and 15:30. The number of people I see wrestling with luggage on the train is amazing.

If you are getting on the train at the airport, you have first dibs on the area set aside for "luggage and bikes". Each car has one of these areas, so please take advantage of it and stow your luggage there. Also on each car are two folding "bench" type seats. Please do not put your luggage in the area left by the bench being folded up. This is marked as the handicap accessible area.

If you are going from downtown to the airport and board the train at any stop besides the "Westlake" station, good luck with your bags. It will not be impossible for you to do, but it will be tight....you may be stuck standing in the aisle holding onto your bags.

When you get to your stop, if you need additional time to get your bags on/off the train, there is a button you can push (check the "sound transit link light rail" website for info). When the lights start to blink on the doors, the doors are preparing to shut....push the button so that you can get all members of your group and your bags off the train.

Also note there was a fare increas as of 06/01, it's just a $0.25, but it is still an increase. Adult fare is $2.75 from Airport to Westlake. Do not be surprised to find a "Fare Enforcement" person come down the aisle and ask for your ticket. This is a sporadic event, but it does happen.

Just remember, I am a weekday commuter and these are my observations. Like everything else, your experience may be totally different depending on what day and time you are riding around town.

Enjoy your cruise.....

Seattle Light Rail is fantastic!

We got onto the Light Rail at the stop near King Street Amtrak station on a Saturday. There was virtually no one on the train but four of us, so I'm glad we were traveling on a Saturday. We found it a breeze to use. I'm from the San Francisco area, and here you're really lucky to find an elevator that works, so talk about people struggling with luggage!

Anyway, for our $.75 fare (senior fare), we had a smooth ride to the airport.

Thank you to whoever is responsible for Seattle's Light Rail!!!

thanks for posting the info. when we used the lightrail too westlake we kept our one carryon on the floor out of the way of the isle. i saw many seats open and young ones using the pull down for the handicapped. fortunately it was not needed but the sign was disregarded. it is a shame about that. but i love the lightrail. and your tips are very helpful.

thanks for posting the info. when we used the lightrail too westlake we kept our one carryon on the floor out of the way of the isle. i saw many seats open and young ones using the pull down for the handicapped. fortunately it was not needed but the sign was disregarded. it is a shame about that. but i love the lightrail. and your tips are very helpful.

We have used "handicapped" seats on other subways...most of them say anybody can use them, but they need to be given up if somebody of need actually gets on board and needs to use it...So hopefully the "young ones" you mention fit into that category and would have moved if somebody needed to sit there.

to original poster...thanks for info...we will be using light rail next week...can't wait!!

Another question??

From looking at maps looks like it works...but just want to be sure.

Can u take the light rail/bus combo from Airport to Pier 66 (actually we are going to the Marriott which is right across the street).

It looks like the light rail ends at "Jackson and 5th" which is near qwest field...

It also looks like "Bus 99" (which is a free bus) goes right by that station and circles around downtown, going right by the pier.

If that is right than it would only cost $3 at most to get from airport to pier?

We will only have one carryon suitcase and a backpack per person, so it isn't like we are lugging a bunch of luggage.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Another question??

From looking at maps looks like it works...but just want to be sure.

Can u take the light rail/bus combo from Airport to Pier 66 (actually we are going to the Marriott which is right across the street).

It looks like the light rail ends at "Jackson and 5th" which is near qwest field...

It also looks like "Bus 99" (which is a free bus) goes right by that station and circles around downtown, going right by the pier.

If that is right than it would only cost $3 at most to get from airport to pier?

We will only have one carryon suitcase and a backpack per person, so it isn't like we are lugging a bunch of luggage.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Yes this is quite doable.

The light rail doesn't end at Jackson and 5th; there's a station there (International District) from which it's a short walk to the Route 99 (former waterfront trolley, now bus) stop. The 99 bus is free and will stop in front of the Marriott.

Yes this is quite doable.

The light rail doesn't end at Jackson and 5th; there's a station there (International District) from which it's a short walk to the Route 99 (former waterfront trolley, now bus) stop. The 99 bus is free and will stop in front of the Marriott.

Thanks for reply...

Is that the easiest place to switch from L/R to bus?

I guess if it is as easy as it sounds, I am surprised it isn't the way everybody that is looking for easiest/CHEAPEST way to the port does it...both coming and going??

Thanks for reply...

Is that the easiest place to switch from L/R to bus?

I guess if it is as easy as it sounds, I am surprised it isn't the way everybody that is looking for easiest/CHEAPEST way to the port does it...both coming and going??

The light rail < > bus transfer with typical cruise luggage is a nuisance, since neither system was designed with luggage-toting travelers in mind. Read the first post in this thread.

Plus, there are two cruise terminals, one accessible by public transportation (your route) and the other, not. In addition, aside from the Marriott and the Edgewater, access to other downtown hotels from light rail stations is more variable, ranging from convenient to very inconvenient.

Thanks so much to everybody for posting such great information about the Light Rail do's and dont's! I'm wondering what the "Westlake Station" is. Is Westlake the name of the street where the light rail stops, is it referring to a part of town called Westlake, or is it a shopping center called Westlake? Are there any hotels that are right there at the Westlake Station?

Thanks so much to everybody for posting such great information about the Light Rail do's and dont's! I'm wondering what the "Westlake Station" is. Is Westlake the name of the street where the light rail stops, is it referring to a part of town called Westlake, or is it a shopping center called Westlake? Are there any hotels that are right there at the Westlake Station?

Westlake Station is an underground transit station, one of several along the downtown bus tunnel. It's underneath Westlake Center, a mall in the center of downtown. There are lots of hotels close by, but probably the nearest is the Westin, about half a block away.

Westlake Avenue is a street that begins downtown near Westlake Center and runs (mostly) north for about three miles, through the South Lake Union neighborhood, up the west side of the lake, and ends at the Fremont Bridge. Westlake Park is a not-especially-park-like plaza right across the street from Westlake Center.)

Casagordita-what a fast response and so helpful. Thanks a bunch! I didn't realize the light rail was underground. That makes me wonder if the pro of having a cheap fare from the airport to the downtown hotels along with riding on a light rail-which sounds like fun-is worth the cons of having to take your luggage up stairs and walking X number of blocks to get to a close hotel.

Casagordita-what a fast response and so helpful. Thanks a bunch! I didn't realize the light rail was underground. That makes me wonder if the pro of having a cheap fare from the airport to the downtown hotels along with riding on a light rail-which sounds like fun-is worth the cons of having to take your luggage up stairs and walking X number of blocks to get to a close hotel.

The light rail runs mostly above ground until it gets downtown--some of it on elevated tracks, some of it down the middle of a boulevard. There are elevators and escalators at all the stations, so you don't have to do stairs unless you want to.

I would say, if you're not traveling at weekday commute times, and you're staying in a hotel close to a light rail station, and you're reasonably fit and mobile, and you have luggage with wheels and not more of it than you can reasonably drag...then the light rail from the airport a great deal. If any of the above aren't true, or you aren't counting every penny and you just want maximum convenience and minimum hassles, then do a limo.

I do believe that Seattle Lt Rail like Vancouvers was designed for airport commuters and pax with luggage. I believe they designed the seats to be high enough for luggage to fit underneath. I'll check it the next time I use it but I do believe that is what I read. Its hard to imagine a transit system designed to get people to the airport that couldn't accomodate luggage.

I do believe that Seattle Lt Rail like Vancouvers was designed for airport commuters and pax with luggage. I believe they designed the seats to be high enough for luggage to fit underneath. I'll check it the next time I use it but I do believe that is what I read. Its hard to imagine a transit system designed to get people to the airport that couldn't accomodate luggage.
I was involved (a little - local government stuff) in the planning process for the regional transportation plan, subsequently Sound Transit. The cars are designed like many other light rail systems to accommodate very limited passenger luggage; in the case of Link luggage storage is commingled with bike storage. I too will check under-the-seat space; it's probably sufficient for some carry-ons etc. but not cruise-passenger quantities.

It wasn't designed - nor marketed to the voters - as an airport train system. It was advertised as a congestion-reducing commuter system, and when the airport was mentioned it was usually in the context of the light rail getting airport workers to and from Seatac, rather than being marketed specifically for passengers. (As for its congestion-reducing benefit, don't get me started.)

Luggage storage on trains is a big problem all over the place. It becomes especially worrisome when your bags are at the other end of the car, the car is full of commuters, and the door is open at an intermediate station (say Pioneer Square or the ID) for just a few seconds. Many people don't like to be separated from their bags in that manner, and then having to scramble to collect them. It works, but not to everyone's tastes. Try taking the Piccadilly line from LHR into central London sometime when you have bags. Oy. That's why they built the Heathrow Express and can get away with charging twenty or thirty quid for it.

the 99 is a bus but I can tell you a tour guide it takes you to all the places a tourist normally goes and duplicates the route of the Hop On Bus. Save your $35 and use the free 99 route bus instead.

Can't you just stand by (or at least near) your luggage if there is a designated area for it...or just drag luggage to the end of the car and keep it with you in the aisle?

I would have thought that when planning any commuter system that connects a major city to its airport that it would be common sense to figure out that it would be used heavily by the flying public to get to/from town.

It wasn't designed - nor marketed to the voters - as an airport train system. It was advertised as a congestion-reducing commuter system, and when the airport was mentioned it was usually in the context of the light rail getting airport workers to and from Seatac, rather than being marketed specifically for passengers. (As for its congestion-reducing benefit, don't get me started.)

Luggage storage on trains is a big problem all over the place. It becomes especially worrisome when your bags are at the other end of the car, the car is full of commuters, and the door is open at an intermediate station (say Pioneer Square or the ID) for just a few seconds. Many people don't like to be separated from their bags in that manner, and then having to scramble to collect them. It works, but not to everyone's tastes. Try taking the Piccadilly line from LHR into central London sometime when you have bags. Oy. That's why they built the Heathrow Express and can get away with charging twenty or thirty quid for it.

Can't you just stand by (or at least near) your luggage if there is a designated area for it...or just drag luggage to the end of the car and keep it with you in the aisle?

I would have thought that when planning any commuter system that connects a major city to its airport that it would be common sense to figure out that it would be used heavily by the flying public to get to/from town.

You can indeed put your luggage in the aisle, or on a seat, or stand near it. But it's a 40 min. trip in small train cars with a lot of stops and (in rush hours) a lot of other passengers, and many people feel it's not particularly neighborly to say that your suitcase deserves a seat while someone stands.

Use of the train as a transport means for airport passengers certainly was considered; it just wasn't the main purpose for the system, and really not much of a capacity consideration. I don't know the actual statistics, but I'd be surprised if airline passengers make up more than a few percent of total users of the system, especially during the 8 months or so outside of cruise season.

The cars were designed to maximize ridership capacity rather than for the particular needs of luggage-toting airport passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update with our recent experience using the light rail/99 bus.

We took light rail from airport to Chinatown/International District Station, then took 99 bus to Pier 66.

WORKED GREAT!!

Cost $2.75 per person.

We each had a carryon sized roller bag and a back pack. It worked great with that size luggage.

Others got on bus during ride with full size luggage...it wasn't as easy, but as long as you can carry it yourself up into the bus it isn't that bad...there are 2 bench seats in the front of bus and the luggage toting people just sat there and held onto their bags.

Bus drops you right at pier 66, so for those using that pier this is the cheapest (by FAR) way to go...A little walking to get to the station at the airport, but it is well marked and a level walk.

We stayed at the Marriott, maybe 3 minute walk from where the bus drops you off.

Doing it again I would definately use this method to get downtown and top pier.

Bus actually goes right by Pikes Place Market, so if hotel is in that area this method would also work.

Great information in this thread! My husband and I have decided to use the light rail on September 24th to get us from Sea Tac to Pier 91 for the Golden Princess. We're light packers and able bodied to carry our stuff. Can someone tell me exactly how to get to the light rail station from the airport. Is it connected? Once we get to Westlake Center, are cabs readily available? We've stayed at the Sixth Avenue Inn, close to the Westlake Center, on a trip to Seattle before I just don't remember if I saw cabs around. I used Google map and it says Pier 91 is about 3 miles away from the Westlake Center.

Thanks!

Can someone tell me exactly how to get to the light rail station from the airport. Is it connected? Once we get to Westlake Center, are cabs readily available? We've stayed at the Sixth Avenue Inn, close to the Westlake Center, on a trip to Seattle before I just don't remember if I saw cabs around. I used Google map and it says Pier 91 is about 3 miles away from the Westlake Center.

Thanks!

The station is on the main street in front of the airport; they're not connected. About an 7-10 minute walk from baggage claim. Map and directions are in this link. Basically you go to the 4th floor of the parking garage then walk thru the garage and out to the street.

If there isn't a cab in front of Westlake you'll find them in front of any hotel. Yes, pier 91 is a few miles from the downtown core.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Popular-destinations/Airport-service.xml

Is it possible since we are staying hear SeaTac to take light rail from Seatac to Pikes Market or Space Needle . Our plane arrives at 12:15 pm on a Saturday would like to visit downtown and then back on rail to our hotel near Seatac.

The station is on the main street in front of the airport; they're not connected. About an 7-10 minute walk from baggage claim. Map and directions are in this link. Basically you go to the 4th floor of the parking garage then walk thru the garage and out to the street.

If there isn't a cab in front of Westlake you'll find them in front of any hotel. Yes, pier 91 is a few miles from the downtown core.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Popular-destinations/Airport-service.xml

Thank you! Don't know what I was doing wrong but I couldn't find that info anywhere! Cruise Critic members are the best. :D Now if the cruise would just hurry up!

Archived