All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I am going with a group of first time cruisers, about 25 or so, on the Explorer next June.

I would like to put together an information sheet about the ship. Things a first timer would have no idea of knowing or even know to ask about.

Anything you know now that you wish some one would have told you about the Explorer?

Here is a site that should be very helpful. We have been on the EOS 4 times, the last one in May of 2012. Can't wait to book our next trip.

http://www.voyager-class.com/

Enjoy,

Fred

Here;s another one (not explorer specific but this thread seems to draw traffic.)

If you book an excursion through RC, will you be asked to meet your group at a location onboard or will you be expected to meet somewhere in port/ on the dock? (Specifically interested in the answer to this for the Biolumnescent Bay tour in SJ,PR.)

Here;s another one (not explorer specific but this thread seems to draw traffic.)

If you book an excursion through RC, will you be asked to meet your group at a location onboard or will you be expected to meet somewhere in port/ on the dock? (Specifically interested in the answer to this for the Biolumnescent Bay tour in SJ,PR.)

You usually meet someone on the dock. We had one excursion for which we met on the ship, but that was because the excursion involved a special tender directly from the ship (in Belize). It is not difficult finding your tour once you get off the ship; most of the excursion operators have big signs and stand in one place on the pier.

You usually meet someone on the dock. We had one excursion for which we met on the ship, but that was because the excursion involved a special tender directly from the ship (in Belize). It is not difficult finding your tour once you get off the ship; most of the excursion operators have big signs and stand in one place on the pier.

Thanks! This excursion takes up the majority of the day in PR so we were hoping that if we are among the first off we can just pop into the first gift shop we see for a couple minutes before meeting our excursion since DH simply MUST own a t-shirt from each port of call. Sounds like that could be possible if we hurry. (I'd hate to be the one idiot everyone else is waiting for!)

Can anyone that feels like being a RCCL cheerleader help me convince my husband/kids that I made the right choice for our June cruise on Explorer? It isn't helping that NCL has the brand new Breakaway for 7 nights and an extra night in Bermuda scheduled for the day after ours! UGH! :(

Can anyone that feels like being a RCCL cheerleader help me convince my husband/kids that I made the right choice for our June cruise on Explorer? It isn't helping that NCL has the brand new Breakaway for 7 nights and an extra night in Bermuda scheduled for the day after ours! UGH! :(

OOOooooo...That will be tough to convince. The Breakaway looks like a dream ship for kids! Older conservative Royal Explorer, or brand new playland Breakaway?

The Explorer is a great ship and they will have a great time on it.

The Explorer is a great ship -- make sure they go to the ice show, game room, rock wall, Johnny Rockets -- they will have a great time. Pricing for Breakaway is up there -- it is staying in NY, so maybe next time -- but after doing it -- I guarantee, you will be back! Vicki:)

Just get off the ship. There will be a number of uniformed RCI personnel directing the masses. Just ask one where your excursion is meeting, and they will show you where to go.

OOOooooo...That will be tough to convince. The Breakaway looks like a dream ship for kids! Older conservative Royal Explorer, or brand new playland Breakaway?

The Explorer is a great ship and they will have a great time on it.

You're killin me here LOL

ok, here goes my how & why Explorer story…we will be taking 2 friends of our kids with us (I didn't think 5 nights would be a problem for them) it was pretty reasonable when we booked (Breakaway is about $400+ more pp for only 2 more days- 1 at sea 1 in Bermuda) we already have cruised Adventure & loved it (basically same ship as Explorer)

…but I keep looking at the Breakaway and it looks AMAZING!

Would you cancel, rebook on NCCL or would you go with Eplorer & wait on Breakaway for next year? :confused:

Would you cancel, rebook on NCCL or would you go with Eplorer & wait on Breakaway for next year? :confused:

We were in a similar position. In the end, we decided that such a quick step up from our last voyage on the Crown Princess might "spoil" us for other ships in the future. That said, we do plan to do Breakaway in 2014. :D

If I were you, I would stop looking at Breakaway. Take your friends and children on the original itinerary you have booked. Enjoy your time on the EoS and book Breakaway for next year. There are plenty of ships on the sea and plenty of time to see them all. Just my $.02.

Edited by JulieRose

We were in a similar position. In the end, we decided that such a quick step up from our last voyage on the Crown Princess might "spoil" us for other ships in the future. That said, we do plan to do Breakaway in 2014. :D

If I were you, I would stop looking at Breakaway. Take your friends and children on the original itinerary you have booked. Enjoy your time on the EoS and book Breakaway for next year. There are plenty of ships on the sea and plenty of time to see them all. Just my $.02.

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing.

It will also give me another reason to re-visit Bermuda! :D

You're killin me here LOL

ok, here goes my how & why Explorer story…we will be taking 2 friends of our kids with us (I didn't think 5 nights would be a problem for them) it was pretty reasonable when we booked (Breakaway is about $400+ more pp for only 2 more days- 1 at sea 1 in Bermuda) we already have cruised Adventure & loved it (basically same ship as Explorer)

…but I keep looking at the Breakaway and it looks AMAZING!

Honestly, I would keep the booking. $400/pp is $1600 for the family. Your kids will still have a blast on the Explorer, and the Breakaway will probably be much cheaper next year. Make you decision and stick with it (meaning stop looking at the Breakaway).

Thanks for the input everyone, going to stick with EOS, we priced the other and it wasn't 400 more pp it was actually almost double pp what we paid for Explorer! :eek: We will consider next year when price drops… or….ALLURE & OASIS! :D

What sort of late night buffets should I expect on the 7 night Bahamas cruise? It would be nice if they have something the night we're in Port Canaveral for people who visit the theme parks and want some food when they get back around sail-away time (11pm).

Also are there any decent chocolate croissants on board? Celebrity has good ones at what used to be called the Cova Cafe (I forget what the current name is). The ones there have twice the amount of chocolate as at the Windjammer and in the dining room.

Honestly, I would keep the booking. $400/pp is $1600 for the family. Your kids will still have a blast on the Explorer, and the Breakaway will probably be much cheaper next year. Make you decision and stick with it (meaning stop looking at the Breakaway).

Not to mention all the extra money they'll need to spend to have a decent meal at the specialty restaurants.

What sort of late night buffets should I expect on the 7 night Bahamas cruise? It would be nice if they have something the night we're in Port Canaveral for people who visit the theme parks and want some food when they get back around sail-away time (11pm).

Also are there any decent chocolate croissants on board? Celebrity has good ones at what used to be called the Cova Cafe (I forget what the current name is). The ones there have twice the amount of chocolate as at the Windjammer and in the dining room.

There was a midnight buffet poolside on our seven-nighter, but it was night four or five I believe.

There was a midnight buffet poolside on our seven-nighter, but it was night four or five I believe.

Thanks.. Port Canaveral is the 3rd night. Is there a normal gala buffet? On Celebrity (which is what we've been sailing recently) they did away with that and have one at brunch instead.

Thanks.. Port Canaveral is the 3rd night. Is there a normal gala buffet? On Celebrity (which is what we've been sailing recently) they did away with that and have one at brunch instead.

What do you mean by normal gala buffet? The midnight buffet on Explorer had all sorts of food, from meats to desserts. I believe it was supposed to be Caribbean-themed. However, we were too full from late seating dinner that we didn't even get on line for anything.

What do you mean by normal gala buffet? The midnight buffet on Explorer had all sorts of food, from meats to desserts. I believe it was supposed to be Caribbean-themed. However, we were too full from late seating dinner that we didn't even get on line for anything.

The "Midnight Buffet" on the Explorer is held on the pool deck around 11pm. They serve all kinds of food and try very hard to please everyone. The band is playing and the activities staff is working to get people to dance. It is usually well attended.

If you need to eat at 11pm the Promenade Cafe is open. The have great pizza, small sandwiches, desserts, and fruit! Otherwise, there is room service! No reason to ever be hungry on a cruise!

Diane

Actually, won't the excursion ticket tell you where and when to meet?

Yes. In most cases it will say on the pier at xx:00 o'clock.

As I said, there will be many RCI uniformed personnel on the pier directing everyone to their specific excursion.

Would you hate me if I said all of them? :D

Sorry it's taking so long. A lovely young-in blasted into me on the Explorer and knocked me down. My back has been killing me to the point that I went to the hospital. I have a herniated disc. People please watch your children. He didn't even say he was sorry, just ran away. The last two days, I had to deal with the lovely elevator people.

That being said, I tried to upload the compass' with both of my scanners and can't seem to figure it out. My neice is coming over today, maybe she can figure it out. If no one post's them by Monday I can't take them to my daughters and she can do it for me.

Another little tip for the 10 day itinerary on Explorer. Go to Dawn beach on St. Martin if you are beach people. Beautiful little beach and great beer prices at the beach bar. You can rent an umbrella and chairs for like $12 dollars. It's prettier and much less congested than Orient Beach.

Edited by Heidils

Another little tip for the 10 itinerary on Explorer. Go to Dawn beach on St. Martin if you are beach people. Beautiful little beach and great beer prices at the beach bar. You can rent an umbrella and chairs for like $12 dollars. It's prettier and much less congested then Orient Beach.

Is the water calm there?