Elation: excursions to Mayan Ruins via rental car?

I read a review not on CC where the couple rented a car at Calica and hit both Tulum and Coba (I hope I have the name right. I am not familiar with this ruin). Has anyone done it and have any advice. I know there are car rental agencies at the port, and I guess you can reserve a car ahead of time on line.

The alternate itinerary on Elation stops at Progresso where you can go to Chichen Itza if you want a 2 hour drive each way, and/or Uzmal for an hour? drive. Has anyone done this?

What did you do about food?

Or maybe I'll get lucky and someone will have done both and can compare them. We were disappointed in a Cozumel ruin site, and loved the one out of Costa Maya.

I've never sailed with Carnival, but Mobile is only a 3 hour drive away. I feel I must do so before Carnival pulls out of Alabama! Thanks ya'll.

Do Xcaret, everyone that did it raved about it. (some ruins, caves, more things to see and do). I should have listened to this advice.

I did Tulum and thought the ruins all looked kind of the same. If you wanted to swim in the ocean, then I think it was worth it.

Tulum has been the one excursion I did thru Carnival that I thought was dissapointing for the money.

Tulum is only like 37 miles from Calica and a straight shot down the highway, but I would still be nervous driving in a foreign country so I didnt do the car rental.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm wondering if they just accept your US drivers' license or if you need an International Drivers License, among other questions.

You know, when we went to HI we rented cars and did not take the optional insurance because we were covered 1) by our own car insurance policies, believe it or not, and 2) by our credit cards! But I don't think that holds true for foreign rentals!

If anyone has been to the ruin farther away than Tulum, please chime in, too.

In Mexico its a crime to be in a accident. Iv heard of more than one driver hauled off to jail. Happened on one of my roll calls. He was bumped from behind filling up with gas, (they thought it was a set up) and not released from jail until the wife paid $800 in cash.

Dont even consider not taking full insurance.

I can't answer the rental car question. But we've done Progresso twice...once on the Fantasy and once on the Elation. We went to Dzibilchaltun (sp?) the first time and loved it....except the heat. The next time we went to Chichen Itza and loved it too. Both are unique experiences.

When we went to Dzibilchaltun, you could still climb on the ruins. The view from the top is amazing. I was also amazed by the temple there that tracks the placement of the sun.

You can no longer climb the ruins at Chichen Itza, but it is worth the 2 hour drive for the sheer size and significance of the ruins. It is definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Today we saw a DHL truck with a picture of one of the pyramids on the side of it. My 14 yr old son was able to recognize it, which was priceless to this mom!

Be warned, though, there are vendors there trying to sell you just about everything at Chichen Itza. I found this a little frustrating, but learned to ignore them. We were served a sack lunch once we got back on the bus. It wasn't very good, but at that point I was too tired to care. Besides we ordered room service once we made it back to the ship.

Either way, remember to take plenty of water with you. The sun bakes you and it is easy to get dehydrated.

HTH!

Alicia

If you go to Progresso, once down the long pier on the free bus, you will be given a choice of excursinos at great prices. The free bus is from Auto Progresso, same as the busses from Carnival. Its a win win.

Combo Dzibilchaltun + Merida $39

Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruin Tour $29.

Chichen Itza Mayan Tour $49

Uxmal Mayan Tour $49

(just to name the ruins tours offered). You will be taken right from where the free bus drops you off. Go early for the longer tours, or you will be too late.

Great prices

If you go to Progresso, once down the long pier on the free bus, you will be given a choice of excursinos at great prices. The free bus is from Auto Progresso, same as the busses from Carnival. Its a win win.

Uxmal Mayan Tour $49

(just to name the ruins tours offered). You will be taken right from where the free bus drops you off. Go early for the longer tours, or you will be too late.

Great prices

What wonderful prices. Who needs a car rental? ha

Not sure if I would ever rent a car in Mexico..... take a look at this and you decide.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2011/03/saved-from-hell-in-jail-cell-at-cozumel.html

What a story. The couple that was on Conquest on my roll call, this was when Ike was hitting Galveston, so we spent the night in Cozumel. Even that little bump from the back at the gas station would have been enough to miss the ship.

People need to read your link .. and realize the huge risk they are taking.

• 3 weeks later...

Uxmal Mayan Tour $49

Great prices

We opted for an Uxmal tour when we were at Progresso. It's a great site, and there is a nice restaurant on the grounds. You can climb most of the ruins, the famous Pyramid of the Magician was the only structure that was off limits.

Nothing wrong with renting a car in Mexico - sure there can be exceptions, but nothing to worry about. My advice (I have lived here for over 23 years and drive a car) is to always take all the insurance. Your credit card may have coverage, but payments are always made in cash and your credit card may reimburse you later. For peace of mind, take all the insurance and you can walk away.

You will never be taken to jail unless the accident involves an injury or death.

Don't let the unadventurous chickens dissuade you! Have fun and get away from the sheep!

Archived