Kindle on Alaska Cruise

detroit70

I have an iPad which I love, love, love BUT recently bought the Kindle for travel and outdoor reading. It is great! At $114 it's a bargain (the Ads are only when the reader is in "sleep" mode...totally does not interfere with reading.) Bought a zippered case so it can travel in my purse or beach bag safely!

Planning to download a few extra books for our Bermuda cruise in July!!

I selected the Nook because I can download library books to it. In the seven months I have had the device, I have downloaded and read over 50 books.

Before we leave for our Panama Canal cruise in November, I'll download a bunch of library books to the Nook. When we reach Ft. Lauderdale 14 days later, I'll download some more for the return trip.

I also download classics and other public domain books from Project Gutenberg. I enjoy Dickens, Mark Twain, and other classics as well as current thrillers.

Amazon has announced that library books will be available for that platform as well later this year.

Luckysadie - we are doing the reverse of your cruise in Oct. Do you have the 3-G version and if so, were you able to search the Internet/email during the cruise (especially in the Canadian ports)?

DaveOKC

I have the Kindle 2 which has 2G, but sometimes indicated 3G. My husband has the Kindle 3 WiFi. He had an issue in one of the U.S. ports when he tried to move a book from the archive to his home page. It started to "move" but got stuck in the ether. The title was on his home page but in very faint letters. He was not able to read it on his home page until we got home. We got the Kindles just to read and we had more than 20 books available.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen Kindle discounts but I've seen other offers. At Mother's day they were offering a $25 gift card with your Kindle purchase. To me, that was almost a discount. I was looking for that for Father's day but it didn't happen.

One day thought I saw 20% off a cover with a Kindle purchase but I don't see that offer anymore.

On the thread topic, I'm getting that the 3G isn't going to work on the ship. This is sad but it makes sense since an iPhone data doesn't really work well if it only gets EDGE data service which is -I think- what they have on the ships.

Archived