Alaska Northbound 25 May - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Plummy

I always appreciate reading a well balanced, thoughtful review. Its conclusions may be any where on the continuum from excellent to never again.

What I do find distasteful on this forum is the negative responses to those reviews when they contain some criticism. If someone finds the food inconsistent, how can we conclude others would love it...even while appreciating the subjective nature of this category?? And if two independent travelers report a few surly crew members, should we conclude that the reporters are high maintenance??? It was their cruise experience and they are entitled to report it.

Brawls and sleep disrupting noise in the corridors shouldn't occur on any ship..nor prank telephone calls. I don't think that these are the usual Regent experience but do agree that if they were my initial Regent experience, I might be loathe to spend another 10K giving them --or any line or hotel--another chance!!

I'm not sure I interpret the responses as negative to critical comments.

Perhaps I see it as those posters, myself included, simply indicating that those reported deficiencies do not necessarily reflect the experiences of the greater majority of posters/Regent cruisers.

We agree that each of us is entitled to an opinion but that other's experiences may not have travelled the same path.

Oceans & Rivers, This is from Terry's June Blog.

June is just around the corner – hard to believe that the year is half way through. Yikes! I am excited to see many of our guests again on the Navigator in a few weeks. Regardless of which ship you will be on this summer, if Alaska is part of your plans please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way. Questions to ask? Opinions? Updates? Let me know and see you soon!

Beth, thanks so much for that link. You're very generous to offer for people to contact you. Don't mean to be dim, but do you work for Regent?

So, it seems that Terry Breen is indeed going to be on Navigator for the season and not Oceania?

Regardless, again thanks for the link. I promptly ordered her Inside Passage.

mimito4,

No, Beth isn't asking you to contact her with questions about Alaska...... she was just quoting Terry's blog. It's Terry who's inviting questions.

:D :p :D Get it now. I certainly didn't at first. Thanks for clarifying.

Teresa, I was having posting issues yesterday. The first time I attempted to post Terry's remarks, I put them in italics. Sorry for the confusion. Hope you enjoy Terry. She is a wealth of information and her book is excellent. You will be able to purchase it in the boutique. And yes, she does work for the cruise line. Besides Alaska, she is well versed in the culture of South America. Don't miss her lectures.

I heard a story a long time ago and these thread brought it back . . .

A quiet distinguished elderly man was standing at an airline ticket counter working with an agent. An elderly woman approached the available agent at the next position and demanded to be upgraded to First Class for her next flight. She insisted the upgrade be done immediately at no charge and closed by saying . ."I have a right to be in First Class."

The distinguished man smiled and quietly said to the woman . ."ma'am, with all due respect, First Class is not a privilege, it is a way of life."

As one poster alluded, apparently there were some on his cruise that had never experienced an open bar, were unable to act accordingly, and were generally rude to the point of encroaching on the enjoyment of others. A shame really.

Also reminded of the harassed airline counter attendant in Chicago when an angry man yelled "Do you know who I am?"

The attendant picked up her microphone and stated " I have a man here who doesn't know who he is, please come to AA counter and help identify him."

After 16 Regents, we are an easygoing couple who 'roll with the punches.' A few complaints here and there. Nothing serious. Always fixed if the complaint is expressed with reasoning. But watch out if they miss the cherry out of my Rob Roy !!

Looking forward to our 6th.Mariner on 12/04 with lots of smiles and fun.

Is it just me or has this thread gotten really weird

Yes, it got really weird; I had a post deleted over a day after I posted it; makes no sense to delete after everyone had read it. :confused:

How odd, Marc

I think the original poster and i had very similar experiences and too bad we never met in person

Hopefully Regent will address the staff issues soon

Me too, I will be on Navigator in a few months. There are so many well trained staff. There is no excuse to keep staff onboard that are not well trained and well performing.

Archived