Family emergency, can you change a cruise sail date??

rene194215

A friend of mine with her brother are to sail in Sept on the Miricle and thier mom just feel very ill. Even though it is still 3 months out she knows that they really need to change the date as to not leave her mom alone. Does anyone know if Carnival has any sort of policy? I thought I would try to find out for her so that is one thing less on her mind,,,

A few things- they have paid the deposit and about half of the remainder. They do not have travel insurence. Can they change the sail date? They found out they are not able to cancel already....

Thanks in advance...

They should be before final payment that far out. Im guessing the problem is they booked ES, so they would not get their deposit returned. IF they are booked Early Saver, then there is a $50 pp fee and carnival holds the rest of their deposit for up to 2 years to be used for another carnival booking. The payments over and above deposits would be refunded.

You can always cancel, so Im guessing what they mean is without penalty.

Tell them not to wait until final payment though.... as after that even more money will be lost if they cancel.

They are before final payment so they can indeed change their cruise if they wish. However, if they booked Early Saver there will be a $50 per person cancellation fee and Carnival retains the deposit for a cruise within the next two years. If not early saver, they can get all of the money refunded. Hope everything works out ok for the mother.

If they have booked with a TA - that may be why they have been told they can not cancel... Do you have any additional details on that?

About 5 years ago my mother was hospitilized about a week before we were to cruise. We called our PVP, who we had used for many cruises. We had no travel insurance, she went above and beyond what we expected and we were able to transfer our cruise dates for $50 a person I believe. I have been told by several veteran cruise that this is highly unusual since we were so close to sailing date, but my opinion of Carnival's customer care has never been questioned since. Call Carnival direct and good luck.

Thanks everyone! I just found out that they were able to change the date and only had to forgo the $50 per person as some of you mentioned... They were able to apply the rest of the money for another cruise next year leaving from Ft Laughterdale.. not sure which though...

Thier mom is doing ok which I am sooo glad for but she does have a long road to recovery!

Thanks again everyone!

Archived