Besides price...how bad of a choice was the NCL insurance?

nackjoke

I had every intention of researching independent carriers for our upcoming cruise but its been 3 weeks since I put down my original deposit and spaced it and it appears I will be stuck with the NCL insurance. I guess I could cancel my original booking and rebook and thus reset that window but then I need to learn what I need to look for when shopping..

We are a military family so the chance of a deployment is always there but fortunately not unlikely in our current situation. I honestly have no idea what the military medical will cover but assume the worse and definitely want coverage for worse case situations..

Any experience/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The cost of insurance is compatible with independent plans. Our claim - which covered all NCI suppliers - transfer and hotel - were handled fairly.

The only problem with NCL insurance is that usually pay it with your final bill, So preexisting conditions might be ruled out. Of course other independent travel arrangements - individually arranged air, pre and post cruise stays will not be covered.

If you are before final payment you may cancel the NCL insurance. That is what I was told by my PCC. He suggested since there are currently no pre-existing conditions to go ahead and put it on the reservation. He says if we decide we don't want it before final payment, no problem.

Thanks for the responses.. I definitely want insurance and medically speaking our family doesn't currently have any pre-existing conditions to speak of, just was wondering if keeping the NCL insurance was a mistake

As I am military also... as long as you know there is not a foreseen deployment, the NCL Insurance is just fine. I have had their coverage on my last cruise and our upcoming one, as well. It always good to have a little reassurance in our line of work.

As far as the medical coverage, as long as you are officially cleared for leave (carry copies of your leave form), Tricare should supplement any cost not covered with the insurance.

The cost of insurance is compatible with independent plans. Our claim - which covered all NCI suppliers - transfer and hotel - were handled fairly.

The only problem with NCL insurance is that usually pay it with your final bill, So preexisting conditions might be ruled out. Of course other independent travel arrangements - individually arranged air, pre and post cruise stays will not be covered.

I priced it out and plans on insuremytrip.com were at least 30% less than NCL's. With NCL's insurance the cancel for any reason gives you a 90% of your cruise fare credit toward another NCL cruise. A comparable policy with a different company provides 75% in cash. If you don't need cancel for any reason coverage then the policies are even more affordable. There is a current thread where the OP's DH had to be medevaced from the ship and that cost $36,000 all by itself. I don't think TriCare would cover that;).

We went through this same decision this week. I initially checked insuremytrip.com and the rates available there were definitely better for comparable coverage. I thought the coverage amounts provided by NCL were low (medical expenses, evacuation, etc.)

As a military family, have you checked the travel insurance available through USAA? That's what we decided to go with. The rates are good (kids are free). They also cover leave revocation and deployment.

First, if all you paid is the initial deposit, it goes toward your cruise itself. Nothing has been paid on the insurance. So the insurance you bought was never in effect until you made your final payment. Many people don't realize this and then find out the hard way that things they expected to be covered aren't.

Personally I would go compare insurance coverage right after final payment. Then get it within the period that pre-existing conditions are waived, and while everyone is fit to travel. Many people don't think they need pre-existing condition coverage, but later have something go wrong and find out all the things that aren't covered. To me you lose one of the biggest benefits by waiting.

There is a current thread where the OP's DH had to be medevaced from the ship and that cost $36,000 all by itself. I don't think TriCare would cover that;).

Tricare is obligated by law to pay initially for "medically necessary services and supplies required in the diagnosis and treatment of illness or injury." This only applies to all servicemembers on active status (to include activated Reserve/National Guard members) and their family members. A portion of those fees may be recouped from the servicemember.

This does not cover inactive servicemembers in the Reserve/National Guard, retired servicemembers or their family members with Tricare coverage, however, you may file a claim for partial reimbursement after you have settle your account with the provider.

Source- Tricare Service Center in the military hospital I work at.

The biggest difference I was told by my TA, is that insurance issued by the cruiseline is going to cover them, more than you. If they go defunct, you have no insurance.

I think Regency went bankrupt, a few years ago, while on a World cruise and stranded lots of people in Australia (I think). They paid thousands for the cruise, then had to fork out more money to get back home, because they had bought their insurance from the cruiseline.

Enough to make get my insurance from a third party.

Archived