bus cost LHR to Travelodge

We plan to take the bus from the central station at LHR to the Travelodge Central, we've done this before, I know we get off as soon as the bus turns off Bath road, but I can't remember what the cost should be. Last time I think we paid too much, at least it was more than on the return to LHR.

Oyster is a pre-payment travel card which you can buy on the spot at shops and stations around London. You can either use it as a "pay and go" card which you top up as necessary, or as a season ticket for commuters. It can be used on all underground lines and on buses and overground trains in the London area. You get better rates travelling using an Oyster card than buying individual tickets.

There is a £5 deposit which is refundable if you cash in the card when you leave. If you are spending time in London its worth having.

Paul S

There is a £5 deposit which is refundable if you cash in the card when you leave.
Just to add: You also get all the unused credit refunded as well.
What is the Oyster? Can US people get & where, is it worth it just for the 2 of us RT?
If all you are doing is taking the bus to the Travelodge and back again, and you are not using any more public transport in London, then the benefit of an Oyster is IMHO very marginal. You'll pay £4.40 each in bus fares, compared to £2.60 each, but the saving of £1.80 per person has to be balanced against the time it will take to get your Oysters (one per person) before you go to the Central Bus Station, and the time to hand the cards back in and get the deposit and unused credit refunded when you return to the Central Bus Station. In your shoes (on the assumption that that's all the public transport you're using), I probably wouldn't bother with an Oyster.

If you do decide to get Oysters, you can get them from the Underground (Tube) station that serves Terminals 1, 2 and 3 - this is almost directly underneath the Central Bus Station so you're inevitably going to go very close to it.

You can, of course, keep the Oysters indefinitely if you wish. The cards and the credit do not expire.

We stayed at Travelodge Heathrow Central for one night when arriving late into Heathrow. He had tons of luggage (well, not really tones, but enough) and it was too much to get to a bus, and off again. At the Travelodge web site, they listed a number for a private taxi who picked us up right at the terminal and took us right to the hotel. it cost about 11 pounds or something like that. Well worth it for us, and much cheaper than any black cabs that are at Heathrow. If you are interested, check their web site, or I could try and look it up. It has been 2 years, but I would assume it should be the same deal.

Cheers

Len

Archived