Standing Ovations

BosoxI

I have just read a review in which it was noted that a performance was rewarded with a standing ovation. What performance on a Princess ship is not rewarded with a standing ovation?:D There is a group of people-jack in the boxes-who automatically jump up at the end of every performance, good, bad, or indifferent. It used to be that standing ovations were reserved for those rare performances which truly exceeded the norm. Not so on Princess. Having said this, I realize that Standing Os in no way affect me; they do not spoil my cruise; they don't really annoy me, rather they give me reason for mirth in seeing how "average" has been elevated by some into "stupendous". But I ask this: "if by chance some performer REALLY deserves such a rare accolade, how will it be given? :confused:

I have just read a review in which it was noted that a performance was rewarded with a standing ovation. What performance on a Princess ship is not rewarded with a standing ovation?:D There is a group of people-jack in the boxes-who automatically jump up at the end of every performance, good, bad, or indifferent. It used to be that standing ovations were reserved for those rare performances which truly exceeded the norm. Not so on Princess. Having said this, I realize that Standing Os in no way affect me; they do not spoil my cruise; they don't really annoy me, rather they give me reason for mirth in seeing how "average" has been elevated by some into "stupendous". But I ask this: "if by chance some performer REALLY deserves such a rare accolade, how will it be given? :confused:

I agree with you 100%!!!!

..and "screaming" your approval should be banned!

On the Tahitian, my eardrums could not take the shrill screaming from a women in the seat behind me....with every joke and magic trick. It got very tiresome and painful.

What happened to good ole applause?

I don't think I've ever been to any show on a Princess ship, whether a production show, or comedian/hypnotist, etc. that ended with a standing ovation, at least not that I recall.

Anyway, I would agree with the general sentiments, a standing ovation should not be the norm.....

Mike

Then on the other hand, there is nothing more difficult than performing to a group of silent people. Please show your pleasure if you see or hear something worthy of applause. You'll get a better performance.

BTW, where are you seeing all these standing ovations? I remember only one or two in the past year.

I recall only one standing ovation in 15 Princess cruises: "C'est Magnifique" on the Dawn (11-night Mexican Riviera). To this day, the performance ranks as the best I've seen on Princess and the SO was well-deserved.

Bravo!

Chris

I don't think I've ever been to any show on a Princess ship, whether a production show, or comedian/hypnotist, etc. that ended with a standing ovation, at least not that I recall.

Anyway, I would agree with the general sentiments, a standing ovation should not be the norm.....

Mike

Me neither, in fact the applause was pretty weak too.

Everyones experience with production shows differ too. To a new cruiser every performance is great. To us, we usually will walk out since it is no better than a high school production. I do like PCL so do not flame, even though I am new to this line. I have found on all the mainstream lines the production shows are very poor, no better than an amusement park show.

The only time I have stood and given standing ovations is each time on our MSC USA cruises. They do entertainment like no other. On America's Got Talent last year they had a black light group doing different configurations in the dark to music. MSC has done this for years...and Howie Mandel said he has never seen anything like it. On MSC you get London Conservatory of Music trained singers and dancers that are trained. You get shows like no other we have ever seen. Each show on MSC is worthy of a standing ovation, and we do not do that lightly. I always clap for appreciation for a show, but do not just stand if it does not warrant that. Like I said, On MSC USA cruises, most got standing ovations.

Standing ovations are now de rigueur on Broadway, even for the worst schlock. I suppose its now considered pretentious or elitist to differentiate the good from the so-so. :(

The trouble is that it makes one feel embarrassed to not be standing when most others are. I think it is the sheep mentality that causes it.

Not me. I'm not embarrassed at all. When the jumpers jump; I stay seated. Very rarely have I attended any performance that merits a standing ovation. Now then, if you ask me about Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow concerts......................... :D

The problem that occurs to us is that these standing ovations often lead to 'walking ovations' as folks head to the doors even though the CD is making announcmnets. These, on occasion, have been kinda critical, like when a change is made in itinereary, etc. in addition, often first timers need any info to enhance their experience. At the very least a walking ovation is discourteous IMHO.

You are 100% on it

Seems to me that the "Beatle Maniacs" received standing ovations the both times we saw them on the Emerald this past March.

You saw them twice!?! Don't know if that was on the same cruise as us in March (March 18 - 28) but there was almost a riot (OK, an exaggeration) in the line-up trying to get into the 2nd show. There was a problem with the lights and they had "removed" everyone from the theatre that had arrived early and didn't re-open the doors until a few minutes before showtime.

But, yes, there was definitely a standing "O" for both shows. Don't recall any for anything else other than there was something close for the song and dance team that switched-out during our cruise on the departing crews' finale performance.

You saw them twice!?! Don't know if that was on the same cruise as us in March (March 18 - 28) but there was almost a riot (OK, an exaggeration) in the line-up trying to get into the 2nd show. There was a problem with the lights and they had "removed" everyone from the theatre that had arrived early and didn't re-open the doors until a few minutes before showtime.

But, yes, there was definitely a standing "O" for both shows. Don't recall any for anything else other than there was something close for the song and dance team that switched-out during our cruise on the departing crews' finale performance.

Yes...twice...we were on b2b cruises so saw them on the 18th and 28th cruises:)

Yeah I often smile to myself onboard at what people think is great entertainment . Certainly any offering's while onboard adds to the choices available to enhance our cruise experience, but just because they're there and available to us does not make them good or enthralling and most of time certainly not worthy of a standing ovation.

I admit, I'm afraid I'm in the stay seated catagory when everyone jumps to their feet. :)

Srpilo

Then on the other hand, there is nothing more difficult than performing to a group of silent people. Please show your pleasure if you see or hear something worthy of applause. You'll get a better performance.

BTW, where are you seeing all these standing ovations? I remember only one or two in the past year.

I've got to agree. I asked someone I know who's an entertainer on Princess ships. He said that yes, they have experienced standing ovations, but in his opinion, "Not often enough." But it does mean a loot when it happens.

Most recently on the Star's trans Atlantic in May. Every theater performance we attended ended with the majority of people in the first 3 to 5 rows standing and applauding, followed by other sheep further back. For example, (but not to pick on the poor woman who was only trying to make an honest living), there was a trained pianist, U of Illinois, I believe, and during her act she laid down on the floor under the keyboard and reached up and played the piano. Now that does take some skill, but it is essentially a vaudeville act. Nevertheless, the big O followed her performance. Honestly, I felt sorry for her. In the past year DW and I have been on the Emerald, the Grand twice, the Pacific, and the Star and I am quite sure the Os were seen on every one of those ships. We were on the Celebrity Eclipse, too, but I don't recall what occured. (BTW the Eclipse had far better entertainment than any Princess ship I've ever been on) We will be on the Star again in as few months. I'll let you know the story.:p

I've got to agree. I asked someone I know who's an entertainer on Princess ships. He said that yes, they have experienced standing ovations, but in his opinion, "Not often enough." But it does mean a loot when it happens.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but it means nothing if it occurs regularly.

Archived