Baltimore Port - Transportation Inquiry?

mom0f3

Hi, All. I posted before our cruise from Cape Liberty asking if anyone had experience with Entertainment Tours from Washington/Baltimore to Cape Liberty port. I was concerned, because it sounded like it might be cutting it close for time to our Celebrity Cruise, being as they didn't leave Baltimore til 10 AM. The price and convenience couldn't be beat, so I decided to give it a try. Glad I did! The driver actually called our cellphone to say he was running early, and we left Baltimore before 9:30, he also called the folks at our next stop (Marlton NJ), so we were able to leave from there early as well. Only 5 of us on a big comfortable bus, and dropped us off right at the Terminal. SO much better than the train and taxi I'd planned.

On leaving the ship the following Sunday, the bus was right there waiting for us, and had an uneventful trip back to Baltimore.

If you're coming from DC, be aware that it's the same bus leaving Union Station at 8 AM and leaving Baltimore Travel Plaza at 10 AM, so if you can get a ride to Baltimore, you can get an extra hour of sleep!

We just booked a Pride cruise from Baltimore. We are considering taking the train from Philadelphia to Baltimore on the Saturday prior to the cruise. Does anyone have experience with this issue? If so, what Hotels are close to the Baltimore train station and did you stay there? Did they offer shuttle service from the train station to the Hotel? Should we consider driving?

Thanks

We just booked a Pride cruise from Baltimore. We are considering taking the train from Philadelphia to Baltimore on the Saturday prior to the cruise. Does anyone have experience with this issue? If so, what Hotels are close to the Baltimore train station and did you stay there? Did they offer shuttle service from the train station to the Hotel? Should we consider driving?

Thanks

Never took the train, I grew up in Baltimore and still live here in the county. Love my city. Drive down. The train station is not right near the Cruise Terminal.And the area is iffy near the train. I'd come right down 95 and if you want to stay over night I'd call Marriott or Hampton Inn. Both are on 95, in a good area and I believe offer the Shuttle to the ship.

Never took the train, I grew up in Baltimore and still live here in the county. Love my city. Drive down. The train station is not right near the Cruise Terminal.And the area is iffy near the train. I'd come right down 95 and if you want to stay over night I'd call Marriott or Hampton Inn. Both are on 95, in a good area and I believe offer the Shuttle to the ship.

Hi! Im driving in from Montreal, should take me about 12 hours with some stops Im staying at a best western with week long parking, and shuttle service to the port.

But i was still wondering if i shouldnt have taken Amtrak instaed.

But after hearing about the train station and all, and the fact it will take about 14 hours by train,im thinking maybe i made the right decision:)

isn't the train stop by the airport? If so stay by the airport. Several of those hotels have a stay there one night and they will shuttle you. Might probably pay for the hotel and it be the same rate or lower than port parking.

I highly recommend you take the train from Philadelphia to the BWI train station (the next station south of Baltimore). There are free shuttles from there to all the various airport hotels (which are good) and the Baltimore train station is NOT in a great neighborhood (although you could certainly take a cab down towards the Inner Harbor). But I think the airport hotels offer a better range of price points and they do cater to folks cruising (some offer free duration parking and shuttles to the port).

Hi! Im driving in from Montreal, should take me about 12 hours with some stops Im staying at a best western with week long parking, and shuttle service to the port.

But after hearing about the train station and all, and the fact it will take about 14 hours by train,im thinking maybe i made the right decision:)

The train from Montreal DOES stop at the BWI airport/rail stop and that's in a much better area with a good selection of hotels to choose from.

The train may be a more relaxing way to travel. But considering you'll have to change trains in NYC and have to hassle with your luggage, driving is quicker and a few less hassles, IMHO.

We live in Phila. Took the train to Baltimore in February. Very easy and affordable.

Train takes 1 hour 7 minutes.

Taxi is available when you get off the train- 20 bucks which included the tip.

We did not go the day before- We went the morning of.

Arrived at the port at 1:07 and were sitting, eating on the lido deck by 2:15.

What I learned- TIckets go higher as the day approaches. If you know when you want to go-- get your tickets as soon as you can.

For your return trip- do not get tickets before noon.

You will not be able to purchase a ticket for say 2pm and grab the noon train without paying the difference.

I did not find the train station iffy- we were there for less then 10 minutes after we got off the train.

We spent maybe 30 minutes from the time we got off the ship until the train came.

We did not have to change trains- it was a direct rail- (did we even go through NY??? Amtrak takes 1 hour 7 minutes)

Taking the train was relaxing, easy and affordable.

We live in Phila. Took the train to Baltimore in February. Very easy and affordable.

Train takes 1 hour 7 minutes.

Taxi is available when you get off the train- 20 bucks which included the tip.

We did not go the day before- We went the morning of.

Arrived at the port at 1:07 and were sitting, eating on the lido deck by 2:15.

What I learned- TIckets go higher as the day approaches. If you know when you want to go-- get your tickets as soon as you can.

For your return trip- do not get tickets before noon.

You will not be able to purchase a ticket for say 2pm and grab the noon train without paying the difference.

I did not find the train station iffy- we were there for less then 10 minutes after we got off the train.

We spent maybe 30 minutes from the time we got off the ship until the train came.

We did not have to change trains- it was a direct rail- (did we even go through NY??? Amtrak takes 1 hour 7 minutes)

Taking the train was relaxing, easy and affordable.

Serene56:

Thanks for the feedback. What did you do about your luggage aboard the train? Was there ample space? There are four of us travelking and we will have one large luggage and one carry on each.

Thanks

The train may be a more relaxing way to travel. But considering you'll have to change trains in NYC and have to hassle with your luggage, driving is quicker and a few less hassles, IMHO.

Well thats part of the reason i dont want to take the train. Having to change trains in NY is a real drag!The only direct train to baltimore leaves from vermont a couple of hours away from us. But hearing that it stops at the airport, is making me think about it more. Will see.

Thanks for the info

Serene56:

Thanks for the feedback. What did you do about your luggage aboard the train? Was there ample space? There are four of us travelking and we will have one large luggage and one carry on each.

Thanks

On a Saturday there shouldn't be a problem stowing your luggage. There's usually a couple of racks at the front of the car for the big stuff, and the carry-ons can go in the rack overhead. I actually would consider driving myself since there's four of you. I don't ever use taxis in Baltimore, but I bet that 4 people with luggage could get more pricey than $20, plus, if you do come the night before I would recommend staying near the BWI Station which is quite a bit further from the port than Union Station.

If you want to start your vacation on Saturday, I would drive down and stay in White Marsh on Saturday night. I believe that at least one of the hotels offer a "Park and Cruise" rate if you want to avoid parking at the pier.

I'm a big fan of the train, and always take it to NYC, but in this case the station isn't close enough and parking at the pier is convenient, so I think driving would be the way to go.

Serene56:

Thanks

I got a porter at 30th street and in Baltimore- they stow it for me.

Its getting off that you have to take it off yourself but that was not a big deal either- is everyone old enough to handle their own luggage?

There is plenty of over head racks if you did not want to go the route of the porter.

don't ever use taxis in Baltimore, but I bet that 4 people with luggage could get more pricey than $20, .

we had three people- 3 suitcases and 3 carry ons.

Why would it cost more for 4 people?

we had three people- 3 suitcases and 3 carry ons.

Why would it cost more for 4 people?

I assumed that there were two of you. I don't know if taxis in Baltimore charge per person/per piece or not. I seem to remember that the BWI taxis do, but they're not governed by the city. Either way, the cabfare difference to the port from Union Station between what you paid and she would pay would likely be negligible. The determining factor for me would be if they were coming down the day before...then I would recommend staying somewhere away from the station, which could add cabfare to the hotel, possibly to the port, etc.

I got a porter at 30th street and in Baltimore- they stow it for me.

Its getting off that you have to take it off yourself but that was not a big deal either- is everyone old enough to handle their own luggage?

There is plenty of over head racks if you did not want to go the route of the porter.

My kids are 17 and 14. No issue with them handling the luggage. I was hoping that there would be a hotel that had a shuttle that would pick you up from the train station if you were staying there. I have zero experience in Baltimore. It appears that we can either get ff at the two mentioned stops.

Thanks

Last fall I took the train from Connecticut to Baltimore. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in downtown and they came and picked us up at the train station and we used "Go the airport shuttle" to get from the hotel to the pier and back to the train station.

Ihe determining factor for me would be if they were coming down the day before...then I would recommend staying somewhere away from the station, which could add cabfare to the hotel, possibly to the port, etc.

I agree- it is sooo much nicer towards the pier area.

But there is soooo many times to chose from with the Amtrak from PHL that there really is no reason to go down the night before. It isnt that far of a distance.

Grand daughter LOVED the full seats-- and the window out was amazing.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0176.JPG

after the cruise she handled her own luggage- I was so proud of her.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0178.JPG

and arriving at the pier by taxi- the guy handled the luggage to the porters

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0180.JPG

We go from Philly as well and we drive down in the morning. It is very easy because the port is right next to the I95 exit. You would get there just as fast and the parking price is cheaper (I think) than the price of two to go on the train. If you do that, you have to find a cab to the port. You don't need to go the day before and stay at a hotel unless you want to do some sightseeing the day before. We drive down at about 8-9 and are on the ship by 11:00...very convenient.

We go from Philly as well and we drive down in the morning. It is very easy because the port is right next to the I95 exit. You would get there just as fast and the parking price is cheaper (I think) than the price of two to go on the train. If you do that, you have to find a cab to the port. You don't need to go the day before and stay at a hotel unless you want to do some sightseeing the day before. We drive down at about 8-9 and are on the ship by 11:00...very convenient.

The Pride is still debarking at 11am on most cruises.

On our cruise I was in a full panic at 10:30 and they were still calling decks for self debarkation. I showed Jamie our train tickets for noon and she let us off after deck 6 was called- we got our luggage and through immigration it was about 11:15. Taxis are all lines up outside- didnt have a wait at all.

The previous week when we arrived at 1:10 they were just calling Zone 7 for boarding.

You were on the Pride at 11am?

Sorry I should have clarified...We were on Grandeur of the Seas by 11:00 when we sailed from Baltimore a few years back. Another review of a Pride cruise posted on these boards from a week ago said they were on board by 12:15. So I assumed your experience would be similar. We are sailing on her on July 3 and we intend to leave here around 8-9 for the drive down. If we have to wait, we don't mind.

The Pride does not dock until 9am. then it must clear.

Most people on the sailing do self assist. They start by calling down each deck.

I was surprised because they check as you are dinging out. If its not your turn they make you go back.

the decks called seem to be various each week- for us they started at the time and worked their way down. Deck 6 was being called about 10:30. (still needed 1, 4 and 5 before people with the luggage were being called.

Port of Baltimore was the easiest, bestest embarkation/debarkation i have ever experienced.

Archived