Baltimore Port - Transportation Inquiry?

mom0f3

I am glad I found this thread. We are actually coming from Chicago. Had thought about taking the train to Baltimore BWI. Both ways for 4 people is around 740, which isn’t bad. The bad part is the time it takes to get there and back. Getting there is 21hrs. from Chicago to Baltimore. I don’t think the kids could sit there that long without driving us nuts. But I am still interested in this thread for the hotels and shuttle. Unless I change it, I think we are going to fly in and stay at a hotel the day before. So anyone want to chime in with good hotels with shuttle service, I am all ears. And if anyone knows things to do in Baltimore, again I am all ears. The one thing that I have heard that I wouldn’t mind doing is this pirate cruise that they have in Baltimore. Maybe someone has done this before? Thanks BullsFan for bring up this thread.

I am glad I found this thread. We are actually coming from Chicago. Had thought about taking the train to Baltimore BWI. Both ways for 4 people is around 740, which isn’t bad. The bad part is the time it takes to get there and back. Getting there is 21hrs. from Chicago to Baltimore. I don’t think the kids could sit there that long without driving us nuts. But I am still interested in this thread for the hotels and shuttle. Unless I change it, I think we are going to fly in and stay at a hotel the day before. So anyone want to chime in with good hotels with shuttle service, I am all ears. And if anyone knows things to do in Baltimore, again I am all ears. The one thing that I have heard that I wouldn’t mind doing is this pirate cruise that they have in Baltimore. Maybe someone has done this before? Thanks BullsFan for bring up this thread.

Lovermonkey:

My pleasure. I have a neighbor that is Platinum and takes the train from Philadelphia to Baltimore each time they have cruised. He says that there are a few Hotels that will send their Shuttle for you providing you stay with them pre cruise. As I get more information I will advise.

Goggle Baltimore Visitors Bureau or some such and you will see so very many things to do in Baltimore! You could spend weeks here site seeing, National Aquarium,Walter's Art Museum, Inner Harbor, Science Museum etc, etc. There is something for everyone.:) Enjoy!

B.

The train station is not right near the Cruise Terminal.And the area is iffy near the train.

I agree with the above post. Train station is not in a good area

I beg to differ...nothing "iffy" at all. Penn Station is almost a straight shot south on St. Paul Street to the cruise terminal on McComas St....approximately 5 miles and a short taxi ride.

isn't the train stop by the airport? If so stay by the airport. Several of those hotels have a stay there one night and they will shuttle you. Might probably pay for the hotel and it be the same rate or lower than port parking.

IMO, it makes absolutely no sense to travel further south on Amtrak, get off at BWI and then have to back track to get back Downtown to Locust Point. :confused:

Get off the train at Penn Station, hop in a taxi and before you can bat an eye, you're at the port. ;)

Bulls Fan...There's really no need to get a hotel room the night before. Just leave some wiggle room and catch your train a little earlier to alleviate any problems. Amtrak from Philadelphia will get you to Baltimore in less than 2 hours. Grab a taxi to the port....DONE! ;)

Keep it simple! Remember, you can redeem AMEX points for Amtrak fare and there's also a discount for AAA members. We use Amtrak to travel to Philadelphia and Manhattan frequently.

before. So anyone want to chime in with good hotels with shuttle service, I am all ears. And if anyone knows things to do in Baltimore, again I am all ears. The one thing that I have heard that I wouldn’t mind doing is this pirate cruise that they have in Baltimore. Maybe someone has done this before? Thanks BullsFan for bring up this thread.

Hotels in Baltimore that provide a shuttle:

http://www.harbormagic.com/cruise/index.asp

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-baltimore-maryland-MD222?sid=x0I6AM.NN1SOgnAD.10&sarea=&sname=&sstate=&scountry=&sradius=&slat=39.292244&slon=-76.607628&schain=&exp=&scity=&sort=&type=&map=&srp=&amenity=&sstate_country=&city_code=&nadult=1&nchild=0

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/baltimore/balrs/hoteldetail

The Urban Pirates tour leaves from Fells Point. I haven't experienced it.

http://urbanpirates.com/web/

Here's a Baltimore interactive map with tons of things to do. The National Aquarium, the Maryland Science Center and Port Discovery are great for kids. Good luck. ;)

http://baltimore.org/maps

While I generally agree with the principle of arriving in the port city the day before your cruise departs (as we did last year when sailing out of Baltimore) if you are traveling from a longish distance (say, more than three or four hours away), Philadelphia is close enough to Baltimore that it is essentially a local trip. I.e., as another poster noted, the train ride on Amtrak takes just over an hour--no need to book a hotel for the night before unless you really want to spend time in Baltimore.

Taking Amtrak from 30th St. Station, Philadelphia, to Baltimore for a cruise departing in the afternoon, I'd aim for either the 9:33 out of Philadelphia, due in Baltimore at 10:41, or the 10:30, due at 11:38. Even if the train is delayed (as is often the case on Amtrak), this should give you an ample time-cushion. Taxis are lined up right outside Baltimore Penn Station, and will get you to the cruise terminal in 20 minutes or so. The trip really couldn't be easier.

Wow, never heard of them. Good to know. We've been trying to figure out an economical way to get to Bayonne in Nov, and this sounds promising. We also have a repo cruise ending there, so we need a one way ride home to Md then, too. What time did the bus meet you for the return?

What time did you get to the port terminal? Including your stop in NJ, how long did it take, door to door? I like the idea of a bus, with lots of room for bags -- I tend not to travel light :eek:. Any charges for bags?

Sorry so many questions, but one more... did it stop at New Carrollton?

thanks so much!

What time did you get to the port terminal? Including your stop in NJ, how long did it take, door to door? I like the idea of a bus, with lots of room for bags -- I tend not to travel light :eek:. Any charges for bags?

thanks so much!

https://www.enttours.com/ or call them. ;)

--no need to book a hotel for the night before unless you really want to spend time in Baltimore.

Taxis are lined up right outside Baltimore Penn Station, and will get you to the cruise terminal in 20 minutes or so. The trip really couldn't be easier.

Could not agree more...keep it simple! Done! ;)

While I generally agree with the principle of arriving in the port city the day before your cruise departs (as we did last year when sailing out of Baltimore) if you are traveling from a longish distance (say, more than three or four hours away), Philadelphia is close enough to Baltimore that it is essentially a local trip. I.e., as another poster noted, the train ride on Amtrak takes just over an hour--no need to book a hotel for the night before unless you really want to spend time in Baltimore.

Taking Amtrak from 30th St. Station, Philadelphia, to Baltimore for a cruise departing in the afternoon, I'd aim for either the 9:33 out of Philadelphia, due in Baltimore at 10:41, or the 10:30, due at 11:38. Even if the train is delayed (as is often the case on Amtrak), this should give you an ample time-cushion. Taxis are lined up right outside Baltimore Penn Station, and will get you to the cruise terminal in 20 minutes or so. The trip really couldn't be easier.

Post Captain:

Thanks for the valuable information. Do you know what the cab would cost for four people?

Thanks

Post Captain:

Thanks for the valuable information. Do you know what the cab would cost for four people?

Thanks

we paid 20.00 which included the tip for 3 people.

With 4 people with luggage- you might need a van

Hi, All. I posted before our cruise from Cape Liberty asking if anyone had experience with Entertainment Tours from Washington/Baltimore to Cape Liberty port. I was concerned, because it sounded like it might be cutting it close for time to our Celebrity Cruise, being as they didn't leave Baltimore til 10 AM. The price and convenience couldn't be beat, so I decided to give it a try. Glad I did! The driver actually called our cellphone to say he was running early, and we left Baltimore before 9:30, he also called the folks at our next stop (Marlton NJ), so we were able to leave from there early as well. Only 5 of us on a big comfortable bus, and dropped us off right at the Terminal. SO much better than the train and taxi I'd planned.

On leaving the ship the following Sunday, the bus was right there waiting for us, and had an uneventful trip back to Baltimore.

If you're coming from DC, be aware that it's the same bus leaving Union Station at 8 AM and leaving Baltimore Travel Plaza at 10 AM, so if you can get a ride to Baltimore, you can get an extra hour of sleep!

Wow, never heard of them. Good to know. We've been trying to figure out an economical way to get to Bayonne in Nov, and this sounds promising. We also have a repo cruise ending there, so we need a one way ride home to Md then, too. What time did the bus meet you for the return?

thanks so much!

https://www.enttours.com/ or call them. ;)

This thread was moved, not sure why....We're mixing apples with oranges here.... the OP was talking about getting to cruises and leaving out of BAYONNE,NJ not Baltimore, MD... so this may confuse readers of this new thread. :confused: Plus, people trying to get to Bayonne will certainly not look on a thread about the port of baltimore. I live near Baltimore, and don't need info on how to get there!

I had checked out the Entertainment Tours website, AND called/emailed them to find out answers, but still after several days I had not received any response. The only thing the website told me was that there is a charge of $10 per bag, each way, after the first one free.

That's why I posted my questions, and I was hoping Momof3 would respond....

I was intrigued by the bus at first...but from what i can tell from the website, the several hour bus ride would be approx $250 RT (including baggage but not tip), but then I STILL need transportation to get to the bus stop at D.C.'s Union Station, or to the one in Balt (easily another

$60 RT cab or shuttle).

Driving to Bayonne ($60 RT gas) and staying at a hotel (for $100/night) that has free parking (the port charges $19/day) for our 15 day cruise, as well as free hotel shuttle to the port terminal... I think I've decided that's a no-brainer to drive ourselves instead --it's is still cheaper, more convenient, gives me control of our arrival, and is less stressful, plus gets us onboard the ship earlier.

This thread was moved, not sure why....We're mixing apples with oranges here.... the OP was talking about getting to cruises and leaving out of BAYONNE,NJ not Baltimore, MD... so this may confuse readers of this new thread. :confused: Plus, people trying to get to Bayonne will certainly not look on a thread about the port of baltimore.

Driving to Bayonne ($60 RT gas) and staying at a hotel (for $100/night) that has free parking (the port charges $19/day) for our 15 day cruise, as well as free hotel shuttle to the port terminal... I think I've decided that's a no-brainer to drive ourselves instead --it's is still cheaper, more convenient, gives me control of our arrival, and is less stressful, plus gets us onboard the ship earlier.

I agree...very odd that these 2 threads were combined. :confused::rolleyes:

Good, glad you worked it out.

I'd use Entertainment Tours in a heartbeat for Bayonne. Get a ride to the pickup location, no hotel, sit back and relax on I-95 and from what I understand, luggage is taken from the bus directly to the ship, disembark, sit back and relax, someone picks us up at the bus terminal. This would be my no-brainer. ;)

Archived