How should we dress for a December cruise?

Lyk2cruise

We are taking a cruise December 17th out of Orlando, FL (Port Canaveral) going to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. I know it's early to be asking what to wear, but at the end of Summer I want to know if it's ok to pack up the kids summer clothes. Also, is it appropriate to wear sundresses and 'tropical' skirts? Please share any other December cruising tips/hints/experiences/etc.!

By the way! The cruise has 3 days at sea. Will these days be cold? How should we prepare to dressed on these days?

We took a cruise in December and ran into a tropical storm. It was pouring for a lot of the cruise, so be prepared for anything.

That said, it will most likely be warm and you'll need the summer clothes.

Summerwear is the norm...if it's really cold in the States, it may be cool in Nassau, but in your other ports, it will be quite warm to hot!

Bring shorts and swimwear! White is fine all year round in the Caribbean!

we usually cruise in December and last year to the caribbean out of Port Canaveral for 2 weeks we followed a COLD front but the temps were cool to warm and summerwear was still just fine-so dont pack it up til after the cruise...just have a jacket for the cooler morns.

ENJOY:)

We cruised last January, and plan on doing the same January 2012. Since we flew down from the NE, we had on jeans and long sleeves or a polo with a light jacket for the flight down. After that, it was all shorts, although we had packed an extra pair of jeans and khaki's just in case.

We are taking a cruise December 17th out of Orlando, FL (Port Canaveral) going to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. I know it's early to be asking what to wear, but at the end of Summer I want to know if it's ok to pack up the kids summer clothes. Also, is it appropriate to wear sundresses and 'tropical' skirts? Please share any other December cruising tips/hints/experiences/etc.!

By the way! The cruise has 3 days at sea. Will these days be cold? How should we prepare to dressed on these days?

The weather leaving Port Canaveral could be on the cool side and may require jeans, shirt, maybe even a jacket. I would expect as you move south it will get warmer but its possible may be on the cooler side. St Thomas will be warm, probably upper 70s to low-mid 80s as will St Maarten. The only real dress restrictions are in the main dining room. The 1st night on board you can wear whatever you have available as it takes time for luggage to arrive. After that on formal nights its elegant and the other nights dress casual wear but I have seen women get by with dress jeans, nice top, and dress shoes on other than formal nights.

Archived