Little bottles of alcohol "SMUGGLING"

NJEMT29

Really, just the buying of it at home, the cleaning of the RR's, filling them up, adding the weight to the already heavy luggage....I know it isn't allot of work, but I drink Gin. It costs me $40/liter thru BV. For that price, it's not worth even the minimal effort. If I drank Malibu or something, a bottle that gets jacked up 500% thru BV, it might be worth it to smuggle.

I have to go to the store anyways to pick up last minute items......I have to fill up all my 3 oz bottles for my toiletries.....if I didn't add the booze I still weigh my bags and if they are too heavy then I remove an article.....there is no more effort then what I am already doing........and if you buy the small bottles like the op you just throw them in your luggage.......oh my I'm tired:p

I have a feeling you don't do the packing:p

The xray can see them of course .. they just are allowing the small ones.

They don't allow the small ones if they find them.

I buy a bottle every cruise through Bon Voyage or room service but we fly in the day before so usually take the travel bottles for the hotel. This past April we were traveling with another couple so took 12 of each rum and vodka. The day took more of a toll than we anticipated and our begining the vacation celebration was rather mild. We had 9 bottles of rum and 8 bottles of vodka left when we boarded the ship.

I packed the little bottles of rum among my make up and travel size toiletries. Our travel partners were not as creative with the vodka. Her bag was delayed and a little note was left stating they had found alcohol in her bag and had confiscated it.

Here's the funny thing. They only confiscated two of the bottles leaving her with 6 remaining. I am sure they didn't see the rest on x-ray but still I couldn't believe they had opened her bag for two small airline bottles.

Travel bottles are more expensive than buying a bottle from Bon Voyage ounce for ounce. I don't intentionally smuggle but what am I supposed to do with them if I don't finish them before boarding?

Carnival must know that many people fly in the day before. I think confiscating a few travel sized bottle is petty. For the record, I returned home with my remaining 9 airline bottles of rum. I needed help finishing my bottle I had bought from Bon Voyage because I couldn't fly back with an open bottle in my suitcase.

I have to go to the store anyways to pick up last minute items......I have to fill up all my 3 oz bottles for my toiletries.....if I didn't add the booze I still weigh my bags and if they are too heavy then I remove an article.....there is no more effort then what I am already doing........and if you buy the small bottles like the op you just throw them in your luggage.......oh my I'm tired:p

I have a feeling you don't do the packing:p

Well, for me the bottles I buy are only jacked up maybe $15 bucks thru BV. It is convenient. It's pretty easy to smuggle, and I used to do it allot in the past, but for $15 it's just not worth my time. Lazy I guess!:)

The X-Ray scanners are densinometers, that is they measure differences in density in addition to metal. This means that the security at the Port can detect any type of bottle whether it be small, large, rum runners, carried in the bagge or on your person. If they let you through, the security has made a decesion to do so. You are certainly not fooling them.

Taking of alcoholic beverage, except for the bottle of wine is violating the term of the contract. If Carnival, who reads these boards, decides to enforce their policies, they can and will catch the smuggler and confiscate the alcohol

One goes on a cruise to enjoy being served, it seems to me a great deal of trouble when you can have a drink, provided by the crew at any time of the day or evening.

<emphasis mine>

I know you're trying very hard to come off as an expert in the field, but if you re-examine the parts of your post I've bolded, you'll see where an important logical inference in your argument fails to hold up.

I'm heading out on my first ever cruise in a week. We drink a fair amount and have been reading through the forums about booze smuggling and buy-on-board options. I have decided to go both routes.

Just Bought 2 bottles of vodka from BV for $40 each plus will bring some in the luggage, plus the bottle of wine per person and the 12 pack of soda for mixers per person. All said and done, no need to buy any drinks on the 5-day cruise. Will probably just buy the odd beer here and there for convenience.

I figure if our smuggled stuff gets caught, the 2 bottles purchased and 2 bottles of wine will be more than enough to get us to the first port, and by then we can get some ideas from other cruisers on how to get booze back on the ship from a port excursion.

At $40 a bottle it's hard to go wrong with BV from my perspective. Flying to NYC from Toronto and booze prices are crazy high to begin with in Canada (HUGE taxes) and not much better in Manhattan. Duty free purchases in the Toronto airport will go in the checked luggage (after being transferred into plastic containers).

Most cheap pints and 1/2 pints have plastic bottels and caps. Just fill your cargo pants up. We do it all the time.

I found some Capt Morgan pints that were plastic lids bought 2 had one in each cargo short walked right on. I dont drink a lot of mixed drinks but it was nice I had a cup and would buy a coke and fix a drink in the room to have on the balcony or to carry around.

I'm heading out on my first ever cruise in a week. We drink a fair amount and have been reading through the forums about booze smuggling and buy-on-board options. I have decided to go both routes.

Just Bought 2 bottles of vodka from BV for $40 each plus will bring some in the luggage, plus the bottle of wine per person and the 12 pack of soda for mixers per person. All said and done, no need to buy any drinks on the 5-day cruise. Will probably just buy the odd beer here and there for convenience.

I figure if our smuggled stuff gets caught, the 2 bottles purchased and 2 bottles of wine will be more than enough to get us to the first port, and by then we can get some ideas from other cruisers on how to get booze back on the ship from a port excursion.

At $40 a bottle it's hard to go wrong with BV from my perspective. Flying to NYC from Toronto and booze prices are crazy high to begin with in Canada (HUGE taxes) and not much better in Manhattan. Duty free purchases in the Toronto airport will go in the checked luggage (after being transferred into plastic containers).

Exactly my thoughts. We aren't huge drinkers. A bottle or two from BV, two bottles of wine, and the occasional cocktail while we are out and about in the evening just about does the trick:)

One goes on a cruise to enjoy being served, it seems to me a great deal of trouble when you can have a drink, provided by the crew at any time of the day or evening.

I don't get too excited one way or the other as far as the so-called "smuggling" goes (I say "so-called" because it really isn't "smuggling" as defined in my dictionary). I don't go on vacation to get hammered, so it isn't a big deal one way or the other.

More importantly, I neither go on a cruise to be served or "to enjoy being served". I go on a cruise to relax in the sun and to visit new places. I do appreciate that some enjoy being waited on. That's just not my thing. If I could get a reasonable rebate on the cost of daily cabin service and dining room wait staff, I'd gladly have my cabin cleaned less often and happilty eat only at the buffet.

With the cost of all those "little bottles", you might as well just order a bottle (albeit over-priced) from the BV Dept and have it in your room. Enjoy :)

Yea I did a quick google to see how many shots you get out of a litre of crown royal or any litre if I remember my caclulations you about save half or a little more or over what an idividual drink would cost you that is if you drink Crown srtraight up . Its like $6 a shot was thinking of ordering one for our friends room as surprise for them and knowing they will share lol. :D:D:D:D

That's why you put your RR's in your checked luggage, not carryone. Checked luggage only gets the most basic security check, no detailed x-ray search.

Why not put them in your pockets and walk through security?

Why not put them in your pockets and walk through security?

Gig has BINGO and the name for the little bottles is "Nips". About five years ago, you could get them for $1. I assume they are close to $2 now. But pockets in cargo shorts seem to work well.

Every adult can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne on board in your carry-on the first day. every person can also bring up to 12 cans/bottles of non-alcoholic beverages in their carry on.

i think my hubby and I are stopping at a store on the way to the cruise terminal for 2 bottles of wine and 24 bottles of water/mixers.

also, i've seen a few people mention rum runners. amazon has the "cruise rum runner package" . i already bought them. plan on using them for my august cruise to get some vodka on board via my checked baggage. let you know how it works out..

Sissy:D

We had 4 rum runners through our checked luggage (the big ones - 1 liter I think they are). They were in one checked suitcase that also had all our liquids in for various other things (medicines, shampoos, etc). The bag was locked so they had to call us down. We figured we were busted when we were called down to open our suitcase. They zeroed in on the bag of other liquids debating the contents of a bottle of pepto bismol, and a bottle of shampoo. Since they were filled with the actual liquids, they passed it around, poured a little out etc and FINALLY, from a supervisor I was able to keep the pepto bismol and shampoo. They completely missed 4 large rum runners which were not all that well hidden...so it is worth a try.

What's the benefit of rum runners vs. standard plastic bottles of booze in your checked bags. Never had a problem with the latter, and RRs seem like more of a hassle...

RRs disguise the shape, and can be tucked into shoes, in between clothes etc etc. Also, they are pretty handy and travel well.

I will be bringing on a couple of wide mouthed water bottles anyways in my carry-on. What's to stop me from filling one with clear rum?

I'm sure they know all the tricks but they don't actually open water bottles to sniff I'd bet. I don't know, I'm asking.

I will be bringing on a couple of wide mouthed water bottles anyways in my carry-on. What's to stop me from filling one with clear rum?

I'm sure they know all the tricks but they don't actually open water bottles to sniff I'd bet. I don't know, I'm asking.

Some make it through, some don't. It is a toss of the dice, but worth a shot.

when we boarded the valor in miami 6/29 they checked all the liquid bottles and you could only take on water bottles with unbroken seals it seemed so much more strict than our last cruise.

Archived