Packing for Marina 7/1/2011

robermaz

Looking for 40 lbs. of clothing suggestions for this trip of varied climate changes. It's been easy packing for travel across the U.S., Canada, & Mexico in an R.V.. We just take everything we own. How do you get it right when limited to what to take? :confused:

Think layers, one color or hue and ease of multiple wears.

Remember no one will know you and will not care that you wear the same shirt or blouse three days in a row to the dining room.

If you are a woman, think accessorize.

We usually do not like polyester shirts, etc but take polyester/cotton blends on cruises as they can be rinsed out and dry much quicker and in better shape that all cotton.

Look in your local store that carries travel supplies and consider buying packets of single wash detergent packages. We rinse out u/w and socks in the sink and dry them on the clothes line in the shower.(I presume Marina has a clothes line, all the R ships do) We make do with 4-5 sets of u/w for a 21 day cruise.

Also think what you are spending on the cruise, then consider that $50-75 for laundry charges are not that bad.

Lastly, think what you really need. Don't take things you just might, might need. You are going to an area where you can buy emergency supplies, if necessary. Don't pack a two liter bottle of mouthwash from Costco! Go get the sizes you can use up on the trip. This will also give you extra room to pack souvenirs after you trow out the empties.

I tend to take clothes that I still love but need to weed out of my closet and at the end of the cruise, leave them or toss them. I usually leave a note for the steward/stewardess to discard them. They are nice things and hope they can be recycled to someone. This way I have lots of room in my suitcase for new purchases. I wear black/white and use gold sandals which go with everything.

I am a knitter and usually finish a garment on the cruise:)

Layer that with a Jacket and Sweater and you are good to go. I also take running shoes that have just enough tread on it to make the trip and toss them also at the end of the cruise.

Mentioned in a earlier thread was a company called "luggage forward". That might be an option to have them ship your luggage so you don't have to.

http://www.luggageforward.com

Is that total or pp?

We usually take about 50 lbs total in 2 suitcases plus 1 carry-on with meds & electronics

We did Northern Europe & Norway last year going from 30C to 0C we had layers as well as our quilted jackets, rain jackets, hats & mitts for Svalbard

Laundry is available also the self serve laundry rooms 3 Washers/3 dryers each machine is $2 per load

Layers, wash and wear clothing, mix & match. is thekey....no formal wear or fancy clothes required so should be easy

just pack half as much as you think you need;)

Lyn

We have tried to discard old clothes at the end of a cruise but it takes an iron will to throw away old friends and most of the time we end up bringing them home for "just a few more wears" Also you will still have the weight to consider on the outbound flight.

As to the self service laundrys, we have used them on occasion but, at least on the R ships they are always busy. On a sea day you might have to wait an hour for a machine and then spend a couple of hours doing the laundry. Not our idea of why we are spending $400-500 a day. The room is windowless and hot. Perhaps it is better on Marina. If you do plan on doing laundry, Oceania provides the soap but we always take several dryer sheets in a plastic baggie as the clothes do much better in the dryer.

One last bit of advice, originally from your mother (I am sure). When you were growing up she probably screamed at you frequently "Hang up your clothes":D We all have a tendency, at home to throw clothes over a chair, on the bed, etc. You will have a lot less laundry, etc if you always hang things up and smooth out the wrinkles. It takes a minute and can give you several additional wears out of an item. (End of soapbox!)

The clothes line is long and stretches over the tub plus there's extra bar below the towel rack. Ventilation, IMO, much better in Marina bathroom and underwear and most clothes dried easily overnight. I generally did handwshing b4 dinner. Actually put the clothes in the shower with me and they took a shower too and did the last rinse. Use towels to roll them after ringing and got most of water out.

Found the laundry rates and drycleaning rates reasonable. Dry cleaning costs actually less than we pay at home. Used it for slacks that DH and I wore to dinner once they got a bit tired.

Enjoy your cruise. We loved the Marina.

We have a pretty active roll call for your July 1 sailing, if you care to join us at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1172681

As far as clothing - our motto is "layering" and wearing clothes that dry quickly, if washed out in the sink. I know there is a self service lauderette, as well as a ship's laundry to send things out, but I bring along clothes that dry overnight and wash them out in the bathroom sink, using detergent that I will pick up in Copenhagen before embarking. I also bring along old socks and underwear and throw them out as we go along. I may not be a fashionista, but my luggage is always manageable.

Over the course of our last few cruises, we have met people who travel with carry-ons only. They have looked great on excursions, during sea days and in the various dining rooms. So traveling with less is very doable!

Our goal is to get our two check-ins down to one, especially for the July 1 cruise since we will be doing 14 days of land travel prior to the cruise. We'll be taking trains and buses between three cities and a short flight to our final destination. We used to always travel with a Eurail Pass when we were younger but that kind of traveling is more challenging the older one gets. So, out of necessity we are paring down our luggage for this cruise. It's difficult but we are determined to do it!!

We also met people with one carryone each. They were in a suite and used the ship's laundry.

That's my goal. The carryon part, I mean. I think the key is to leave the pretty stuff home. Black, gray, white, taupe. That's it.

We want to take a trip in Europe where we use the trains to just wander at will. We will have to use a carryon for that.

I bought new luggage recently and got a two piece set. That third huge piece is useless now as it is overweight when half full! Unless of course, like my DD, you are moving around the world for your job. SHe takes her life possessions in two huge suitcases and happily pays the overage charges. Of course, her bedroom here is jammed with àll the rest of it! I doubt she will ever stay anywhere long enough to buy a house.

Mo

For years we have used plastic blow up hangers to dry shirts, etc. They work faster by keeping the two sides (front and back) apart for better air circulation. They work especially well on knit shirts.

I know Amazon sells them but if you goggle "blow up hangers" you will find several styles and stores selling them.

We would not travel without them.

For years we have used plastic blow up hangers to dry shirts, etc. They work faster by keeping the two sides (front and back) apart for better air circulation. They work especially well on knit shirts.

I know Amazon sells them but if you goggle "blow up hangers" you will find several styles and stores selling them.

We would not travel without them.

Lots available on Amazon!:)

2 tips.

Unlike RV travelling, assume you will have a bag delayed/lost by the airline. Cross pack so that you both have some things in each others suitcases so that if one is lost you don't have to have dine with your travel companion dressed in all your stuff (no matter how well they look in that colour :)

Learned from land travels by suitcase, for hand washing we pack a super absorbant towel (available from travel shop and 'as see on TV' type of thing) Very light weight, packs small and really dries things much more quickly. Wring out the laundry in one of these and most things can be dry the next day (depending on humidity)

The weather we will experience is very much like our Seattle spring weather and the summer weather we had while living in Alaska. Wear layers. The temp will usually be in the 60's and maybe we'll get one of those rare really warm days but don't count on it. If you bring a light sweater or something like that, you'll be fine. Do bring rain gear because I'm sure we'll need it in some of the ports. I checked weather underground and each of our ports is about the same. Dover however might be warmer.

We booked this trip knowing that laying by the pool will probably not be in the cards.....but that's why it is so green where we will be.

Karen

Archived