First Family Cruise, DS last name different than mine, HELP!

CleoSushi

Hi there, DH, DS and I will be doing our first family cruise this September :). DH and I luv cruising and we can't wait to introduce our little guy (2 yrs old) to cruising.

Now my question is... i still go by my maiden name and DS has DH's last name. We all have passports. Now, should i bring a copy of his bc to show that i am his mommy since my last name is different?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad this was asked! I didn't think about this!

I believe I signed my married name on my son's birth certificate (I'm at work and can't check now), but my passport has my maiden name (got it for our honeymoon). Will I have an issue if the birth certificate and my passport have different last names?

LOL! Ok, I panicked for a minute. I TOTALLY forgot that I had to put my maiden name on the birth certificate! No need to respond! We're good!

I remember my DIL had to bring her marriage certificate since her passport still listed her maiden name but her booking was in her married name - so you might need that.

FWIW, we're in the same situation and no one batted an eye. I think the bags under my eyes, baggage hanging off me and toddler attached to me left no doubt who his mother was.

Seriously though, I would bring the bridging docs, even if no one asks for them....

I remember my DIL had to bring her marriage certificate since her passport still listed her maiden name but her booking was in her married name - so you might need that.

Thanks for the tip! I booked with my maiden name since that is what is on my passport. So, I should be fine there.

FWIW, we're in the same situation and no one batted an eye. I think the bags under my eyes, baggage hanging off me and toddler attached to me left no doubt who his mother was.

Seriously though, I would bring the bridging docs, even if no one asks for them....

I can totally see myself looking like that, lol. I plan to bring the birth certificate in case there are any problems.

We just came back from a cruise, and no one ever questioned that I was my children's mother, even though we have different last names. I didn't bring their birth certificates, just their passports. Probably helped that they look just like me, but I doubt it would have made a difference regardless. :) Although I guess better safe than sorry if you're really worried.

We have never had any issues travelling with just passports, although I have brought their birth certificates on previous trips just incase. (Can't hurt.) It is more of an issue if you are travelling with your kids, but without your spouse, but that requires other paperwork, and that's for another thread.

The cruiselines are usually picky about the names on your cruise tickets matching your travel documents exactly. Our eldest's name is officially Charles, but he goes by Charlie, so all week he is greeted by the more formal version and he often doesn't realize that they are talking to him. :D

Our eldest's name is officially Charles, but he goes by Charlie, so all week he is greeted by the more formal version and he often doesn't realize that they are talking to him. :D

That exact same thing happened to our son. He never goes by his formal name, and all the staff kept calling him that throughout the week. I'm sure they must have all thought we were terrible parents with such a rude kid, but he just didn't know they were talking to him.

Archived