not totally potty trained....

PoppyMac

Im worried about my son who will be just a month shy of 4 when I had hoped to have our cruise scheduled. Currently he wears pull ups, but I am worried he will still be in them when we cruise. I am a single mom ....if he isnt completely potty trained..will I be able to leave him in the kids club for me to go to the spa or anything? I figure he will still be in pull ups, but might still have accidents. So no pool...no kids club without me? I might have to pay another adult to come with me if this is the case.

Is this the case on all cruiselines? No pools with even swimdiapers? :eek: Oh man.

Im worried about my son who will be just a month shy of 4 when I had hoped to have our cruise scheduled. Currently he wears pull ups, but I am worried he will still be in them when we cruise. I am a single mom ....if he isnt completely potty trained..will I be able to leave him in the kids club for me to go to the spa or anything? I figure he will still be in pull ups, but might still have accidents. So no pool...no kids club without me? I might have to pay another adult to come with me if this is the case.

Is this the case on all cruiselines? No pools with even swimdiapers? :eek: Oh man.

Their rules are that he must be potty trained. I think that they allow one accident as a grace.

CDC Vessel Sanitation Program rules forbid diapers in any pools, even swim diapers.

Have you tried the M&Ms potty training technique?

I went on the Dream last month. They will take him in the Kids Club if he is not 100% potty trained. However it requires two crew/staff members if he needs help going potty. He can wear pull ups there. They were going to take my almost 3 year old son who is only 95% potty trained, but I paid for him to be in the nursery instead. For the pool my son was in the Mickey Pool with me. He is only 23 lbs and looks really young but no one questioned me. He did just fine and told me when he had to go potty if we were in the pool. I went just me and my 2 kids and had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same fear with my son who is 3 1/2. During Easter break I just told him that he was no longer allowed to wear diapers during the day, only at night. OK, was all he said, and shrugged. He is still not night trained but has been diaper free for two months during the day. Good luck!

Use the cruise as incentive. Tell him if he wants to go in the pool or play in the clubs, he needs to be 100% potty trained. Unless he's got a medical issue, there's no reason for a four year old to not be at 100% at least during the day other than laziness. (His, not yours!) If he wakes up dry after a nap, that's your evidence that there's no reason he can't be 100% daytime trained if he wants to.

And I agree with the earlier poster, Pull-Up's can often delay training because they are too much like a diaper.

M&Ms

There's something in that candy coating that will potty train kids.

Get a big 2 lb. bag and keep them out of reach. When your son goes in the potty, verify then give him a generous handful of M&Ms. Repeat every time that he has a verified event. When he's stopped having easy accidents, reduce the amount and he'll be potty trained soon enough. It worked for both of my sons. I'm working on the cats now.

Archived