Military Members - Mess Dress or Not

CRUISENAV8R

I'm not familiar with all the terms, but if you mean like the formal dress uniform, then yes, my husband wears his on formal nights. He's not military, but a Lt in the Fire Dept. I think it looks very nice. And this year he gets to sport his Medal of Honor he received for being deployed to Haiti with VA Task Force 2. They rescued a UN Worker and 2 children. I'm still very proud of him.

I must also say thank you for your service as well. Wear it and wear it proudly.

As a proud RVN vet I wear my "minitures" on my tux. I've seen lots of active/reserve duty military wear their Dress Uniforms or Class A's. We are always met with respect and a big thank you from our fellow cruisers.Even though I'm Army...those Marines know how to dress!!

Hooray for your husband. In a world where we have so many false heroes, I love to hear stories about REAL heroes. :) God bless all of our firefighters, they are all heroes, for they run into the face of danger, when the rest run away. Let us NEVER FORGET those who died in the line of duty on 9-11.

Hooray for your husband. In a world where we have so many false heroes, I love to hear stories about REAL heroes. :) God bless all of our firefighters, they are all heroes, for they run into the face of danger, when the rest run away. Let us NEVER FORGET those who died in the line of duty on 9-11.

Thanks for the kind words.

My Ex is getting ready to retire from the AF as a Captain. He flies around in an AWACS. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a man in uniform :D !

Although I am retired military didn't do much cruising while still on active duty but saw someone in mess dress on my last two cruises. It helps save the cost of a tux and it is more than likely someone will want to buy you a drink while you are in uniform.:)

my dh always wore his mess dress when we cruised and he was active duty. On one of our trips, a very nice woman came up to him and started asking him how long he had worked on the ship:d

smiley-laughing.jpg.6e6760286ed647b64f7b4b93c4d5f4df.jpg

As a proud RVN vet I wear my "minitures" on my tux. I've seen lots of active/reserve duty military wear their Dress Uniforms or Class A's. We are always met with respect and a big thank you from our fellow cruisers.Even though I'm Army...those Marines know how to dress!!

Don't you think those threaded hats are a bit much? ;)

we did a Disney cruise in Dec of '02 . . . lots of formal uniforms on that cruise.

It is a great idea to wear your "uniform", we have seen a few men and even one woman dressed up this way on formal nights. Very sharp looking.

Be sure to check military rates when booking your cruise. There have been good discounts (well deserved in my opinion).

I say wear it. Now my DH doesn't. It has everything to do with his beard. He grows a nice tight beard whenever he is on leave and obviously can't have it and wear his uniform. But I say go for it, my thought is you paid enough for it and it only gets used a time or two per year, if that.

The military men we have known who wore their mess dress on cruise ships did so if they wanted to stand out and attract attention, but not if they wanted to blend in and be inconspicuous.

It's not just military. Some airline pilots wear their uniforms too and find it amusing when people come over to thank them for serving their country.

(Since lots of airline pilots are former military, the thanks are not totally misdirected.)

A few years ago there was a guy who claimed that he wore his uniform on cruises because he enjoyed having some of the passengers mistake him for the ship's captain. He never corrected anyone and had fun making up elaborate answers whenever anyone would approach him and start asking questions.

The military men we have known who wore their mess dress on cruise ships did so if they wanted to stand out and attract attention, but not if they wanted to blend in and be inconspicuous.

It's not just military. Some airline pilots wear their uniforms too and find it amusing when people come over to thank them for serving their country.

(Since lots of airline pilots are former military, the thanks are not totally misdirected.)

A few years ago there was a guy who claimed that he wore his uniform on cruises because he enjoyed having some of the passengers mistake him for the ship's captain. He never corrected anyone and had fun making up elaborate answers whenever anyone would approach him and start asking questions.

DS is an airline pilot and wouldn't be caught dead wearing his uniform on a cruise ship. It's simply a work uniform-nothing special or fancy about it. BTW, former military pilots who are now working as airline pilots are few and far between. These days, most airline pilots are civilian trained and haven't been anywhere the military.

..... These days, most airline pilots are civilian trained and haven't been anywhere the military.
Likely a generational difference as a lot of the older pilots were in the military, like "Sully" Sullenberger who was a USAF fighter pilot. Some pilots in that age group have postponed their retirement since they raised the mandatory retirement age a few years ago.

In any case, those we have met who wear their uniforms and enjoy the attention don't object when people come up and thank them, regardless of whether or not they were ever actually in the military. :)

For that matter, someone could wear almost any kind of a uniform on formal night and lots of people would not know the difference.

Archived