P&S - Nikon Coolpix p7000 vs Fuji F550 EXR

Jade13

I am trying to decide between a Nikon Coolpix p7000 vs Fuji F550 EXR for a point & shoot back-up camera.

I use a Nikon D60 (love the small body size). My current P&S is a Fujifilm F30 which I have had since 2005. I have really enjoyed the camera, and believe it might have been the first P&S on the market with ISO 3200. I figure there are better models 6 years later and the other problem is that the camera takes xD cards so I have tons of 1 gig and 2 gig cards and want a camera that can use at least a Sandisk Extreme III. I also want a P&S that has video and where most of the controls are on the camera (vs. being only accessed through the screen). I use the Auto dial, video, action, macro, and suppressed flash the most. I also want a high IS0 I can use around a ship at night, including in the MDR. If the camera has even more capabilities it might be an advantage for me as I can learn more. As you can see I don't switch to the latest greatest models on a yearly basis. Price is not a consideration (ie. $100.00 difference). If the camera is high quality I may be using it a lot more than the Nikon, which is getting heavy to carry around with the lenses. Note that I now have studio space (for creating art), and am hoping to incorporate my photography into my works somehow. I will need an extra battery and extra charger for either one. Any suggestions or comments?

Nikon Coolpix p7000 vs Fuji F550 EXR

Nikon Coolpix p7000 $409.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734464-REG/Nikon_26233_CoolPix_P7000_Digital_Camera.html

Product Highlights

• 10.1MP High Resolution Sensor
  • 3" Ultra High Resolution Display
  • 7.1x 28-200mm Zoom Lens (35mm Equiv.)
  • HD Video at 720p Resolution
  • High-Speed Shooting at Up to 1.3 FPS
  • Subject Tracking Auto Focus
  • Greatly Enhanced Low-Light Photography
  • 18 Scene Modes
  • Smart Portrait for Better People Pix

• B&H # NICPP7000B
  • Mfr# 26233

Fuji F550 EXR $300.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749811-REG/Fujifilm_16113196_Finepix_F550EXR_Digital_Camera.html

Product Highlights

• 16MP Back Side Illuminated CMOS Sensor
  • Multiple Built-In GPS Functions
  • 3" 460K Resolution LCD
  • 15x Optical Zoom (24-360mm Equiv.) Lens
  • Stunning 1080p HD Movies
  • Motion Panorama Mode
  • Tracking Auto Focus
  • Face Detection/Red-Eye Removal
  • EXR Auto Recognizes 27 Scenes
  • Quick & Simple Uploads to Facebook, Etc.

• B&H # FUFPF550EXR
  • Mfr# 16113196

I have the Nikon P7000 that I bought in Feb of this year. When the camera was introduced in the fall of 2010, there was some criticism of it, and there were a couple of valid issues. As a result, sales of the camera were a bit soft, and I was able to buy mine for $379 (it has a MSRP of $499).

However Nikon issued a firmware update in Dec 2010, which fixed the camera. When I bought mine, the first thing I did was to install the firmware update, and I can report that I have had no issues.

One lingering complaint some folks have is that it takes a long time for the Nikon to go in and out of the menus, and back to shooting mode. I'll admit that it does take longer than any other camera I have used, but I would not call it excessive. One nice thing is that there are a lot of dials and controls on the camera to allow you to make most changes without having to go to the menus. It even has a rear dial similar to your Nikon DSLR.

Since the firmware update the camera is finally gaining popularity, and the price is starting to raise closer to MSRP.

In reality, Nikon produced the camera to compete with Canon's G12, not the Fuji. And although I don't have the Fuji to make a direct comparison, I think I can make some observations.

First, you want low light performance. The Nikon is going to be significantly better in this regard;

The Nikon has a f/2.8 lens, while the Fuji is a f/3.5 lens (2/3rds of a stop difference). Both cameras have a variable aperture and are slower at the telephoto end.

The Nikon has a larger 1/7" digital sensor while the Fuji's is a 1/2". The Nikon's sensor is about 40% larger.

The Nikon is a 10.5Mp sensor (as is Canon's G12) while the Fuji is 16Mp. The Fuji is ridiculous overkill for such a small sensor in my view, and what a lot of people don't realize is when you cram more pixels into a given sensor size, the individual pixel cells must be smaller, and the low light performance suffers.

For most purposes 10Mp is more than sufficient for good image quality. And interesting to note that for both Canon G12 and Nikon P7000, their sensors are lower Mp than their predecessors, and have better low-light performance. The engineers have finally won out over the marketing teams in this regard.

I found it interesting that the Fuji offered RAW or JPG, as does the Nikon P7000.

The Fuji lens is a 15x, while the Nikon is 7x (and the Canon G12 is 5x). Again, there is some argument that the higher zoom ratios is a compromise, and can exhibit greater distortion, but you will have to judge that for yourself. I am not saying the Fuji would have more lens distortion or not as I have not seen it, but it would be something to check.

I like that Nikon has an optical viewfinder in addition to a screen. One of the reasons I bought the P7000 was due to this feature. While my primary camera is a D90, I always take a P&S with me on Caribbean cruises as a second camera. And one thing my retired P&S lacked was an optical viewfinder. When you are outside, it is all but impossible in the hot-bright Caribbean sun to see what you are shooting at without one.

Both cameras claim to have Macro capability, but while the Nikon can close focus up to 3" or so, but isn't truly Macro as it can't do 1:1 like a real Macro lens can. I'd suspect the same for Fuji.

On the other hand, the Nikon 7x lens is equivalent to 28-200mm in the 35mm format, which should be sufficient. Fuji's is equivalent to 24~360mm. Since this is less than a 2x difference (200mm vs. 360mm), it's not that significant. Optics are in a 2x (logarithmic) world, and anything less than 2x is not a huge difference in my view.

The Nikon' lens also has Vibration Reduction, but perhaps the Fuji does as well.

One advantage the Fuji has over the P7000 is that it is smaller. The Nikon is a lot smaller and lighter than your DSLR, but it is not really a "pocket" camera (nor is the Canon G12).

While it seems you are willing to go an extra $100 for the Nikon, remember that it's MSRP is actually $499, and right now, they are available for somewhat less. As they are becoming more popular though, the price is increasing.

The Nikon does lack some features the Fuji has, such as built in GPS, but I believe that the sensor in the Nikon is going to be superior, which is going to result in better photos - at least in low-light. So you have to make a couple of different comparisons I suppose.

I also use my P7000 as a video camera and it has a remote mic jack that I use with a remote mic. The remote mic cuts down on wind noise. Even though the P7000 has a wind cancelling mode, I still prefer a remote mic.

The Nikon also has option for an extension tube and aux lenses. While I don't use the aux lenses, I bought a 3rd party extension tube that has a filter thread so that I can use a circular polarizer. I often use this camera for excursions on a cruise, so sometimes you have to shoot through a bus window, and the addition of a polarizer helps.

The P7000 has a low-noise night mode with a 12,800 ISO, which matches the Fuji.

If it were me, I'd opt for the Nikon P7000, or possibly look at the Canon G12 especially as low light performance is important to you. Both Nikon P7000 and Canon G12 cameras are designed to work like a DSLR and have larger sensor sizes that the Fuji cannot match. As I stated, the Nikon has a lot of manual buttons that closely mimics a DSLR. You will find that it will function pretty close to your Nikon DSLR. The Fuji appears to rely more on menu selections.

And if low-light is the most important, consider the Nikon P300, with it's f/1.8 lens (which is 2 stops better than the Fuji). But it won't do raw, and has a smaller sensor than the P7000, so I suppose there features on all of the cameras that will be a better fit for you, depending on what your needs are.

Anyway, these are my opinions and why I would go with the P7000 - I am sure you will get contrasting views. In the end, I am sure you will make the correct decision as to what is best for you.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 (24X zoom) that I bought for $300 last December, 18 months after buying the FZ28 (18X zoom). I love both these and you can look at my photos and videos.

For $100 more you can get the FZ100.

I have the Nikon P7000 that I bought in Feb of this year. Anyway, these are my opinions and why I would go with the P7000 - I am sure you will get contrasting views. In the end, I am sure you will make the correct decision as to what is best for you.

awboater, WOW. Thank you for the VERY detailed information.

I don't actually think I will get any feedback on the Fuji because I never do on this forum. Most people seem to use Nikon's or Canon's. I never looked at a Canon as I have never used one. Interesting comment I have about low light is that I always had better results with the P&S vs the D60 (1,600 ISO). I have never used the D60 with a flash. The D60 was not out very long and was soon replaced with the D90 after I received it as a gift (I was given the option to exhange the D60 for the D80, but I preferred the smaller body size).

I am leaning towards the P7000, but I have read about the lag time (is that what it is called?). How would you rate the quality of your photos in relation to the ones from your D90?

Also, do you have a link to what you purchased as far as the polarizer? Great idea and I am always using one with my D60.

My third question is what is the actual dimension size of the P7000? I can't find anyone near me who has one in stock, so I haven't actually seen the Nikon.

My only other question has to do with a wide angle lens. I seem to be using a very wide angle on my Nikon these days and it was one thing missing on the P&S.

Thank you again for your help today. I will see if anyone has any other comments.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 (24X zoom) that I bought for $300 last December, 18 months after buying the FZ28 (18X zoom). I love both these and you can look at my photos and videos.

For $100 more you can get the FZ100.

My friend bought a Pansonic Lumix (I forget which model) last year and has been trying to convince me to get one. I think she though she had a Leica lens. Is this the one with the wide lens?

I would be interested if anyone knew the differences vs. the two other cameras being discussed (Fuji and Nikon).

I have the Nikon P7000 that I bought in Feb of this year. When the camera was introduced in the fall of 2010, there was some criticism of it, and there were a couple of valid issues. As a result, sales of the camera were a bit soft, and I was able to buy mine for $379 (it has a MSRP of $499).

quote]

The quote I had for the Nikon P7000 a month ago was $399.00, so it does seem to be going up in price as it is now $409.00.

Here is a photo of my camera gear (at least of what I had a couple of months ago), showing the D90, P7000, and S570 that is my wife's camera. On the right side is my Olympus Touch 8010, and an underwater housing with a Nikon S200 that I no longer have.

mygear.jpg

The P7000 is the second left-most camera, and should give you an idea of the comparative size. The P7000 is about the same size as the old 35mm film rangefinder cameras.

The dimensions of the P7000 are about 4.25 long, 2.35 high, and 1.75 deep.

It's about 40% larger than a typical "pocket" point & shoot. While I can actually fit the P7000 in my front pocket, it doesn't go in too easily, and I use a Tamrac 5689 pouch which it fits perfectly into. The pouch has a belt loop, and that is how I generally carry it.

While the D90 takes great photos, the P7000 takes pretty decent ones as well. I normally shoot RAW plus JPG small/Basic, so that for any web stuff I use JPG, but for anything I want to print I use RAW. If you do a critical comparison the D90 takes better photos, but for casual comparison, they both look about the same.

As far as delay, it takes about 5 seconds between shots - which is pretty slow, but I am using RAW + JPG. If I shoot JPG Fine only (the highest JPG setting), it takes about 1 second between shots which is decent. But one interesting thing, if I set the camera for continuous, it will take three photos in less than 1 sec.

In RAW + JPG, it is definitely a lot slower than my D90. If you shoot RAW+JPG, you might feel the delay is too slow.

Here is a link to the extension tubes I bought for the circular polarizer:

http://www.amazon.com/Filter-Adapter-Coolpix-Digital-Camera/dp/B004KIGK52/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307729248&sr=8-2

And I just use a run-of-the-mill Hoya polarizer.

My third question is what is the actual dimension size of the P7000? .

I looked up the answer to this question.

Dimensions (WxHxD) 4.5 x 3.1 x 1.8" / 114.30 x 78.74 x 45.72mm Weight 12.7 oz / 360g

Nikon offered a $50 instant rebate when I bought mine, but I am guessing it's no longer available.

Amazon has them for $399 via Sammy's Camera (with free shipping). Of course, pricing has a tendency to change at Amazon on a daily basis.

Nikon offered a $50 instant rebate when I bought mine, but I am guessing it's no longer available.

Amazon has them for $399 via Sammy's Camera (with free shipping). Of course, pricing has a tendency to change at Amazon on a daily basis.

There is a $50.00 instant rebate but price was coming up as $399.00 and now $409.00.

I am still unclear of the model number/item number for the polarizing filter extension tube. Is it sold at B&H, since I will most likely order from them.

My friend bought a Pansonic Lumix (I forget which model) last year and has been trying to convince me to get one. I think she though she had a Leica lens. Is this the one with the wide lens?

I would be interested if anyone knew the differences vs. the two other cameras being discussed (Fuji and Nikon).

My Lumix has a Leica lens that starts at 25 mm with 24x from there. You don't have to move the dial to switch to 720p movies; just push a button. I had looked at Canon and Nikon 2 years ago, but picked the Panasonic partly because it was the only one that had threads to install filters!

Check the reviews at http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

Just bought a Sony WX10 for my wife. She wanted wide angle and good low light performance and was willing to settle for 7x zoom. We also saw an Olympus that was around $500 that had great features, but we wanted to keep her carry around P&S to be under $300. She has a Sony A700 for serious photography.

I see WalMart On-Line has them for $349, unless there is a compelling reason to buy from BH.

I am actually on vacation today, so I don't have the extension tube box with me. But if I recall, the tube was a Bower brand.

At any rate they are made of metal, and made pretty well. The Nikon version is about $50 and made of plastic, and I understand that they are not standard filter threads. so unless you need to purchase Nikon's wide-angle lens adapter, it is an expensive way to go.

They look like these that are at BH.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758890-REG/Bower_ANP7000_Nikon_P7000_Adapter_Tube.html

The tubes come in two pieces. The base piece fits the camera and is used when the lens is at the wide angle end. The second piece extends the tube for telephoto.

If you use the single tube, you can hit the filter with the lens if you go telephoto, which is what the second tube is for. However, when you use the second tube, you get severe vignetting if you put the lens into wide angle.

So there is some compromise in using the tubes.

The Nikon tube comes just as a single - short tube, but has a non-standard thread so you cannot attach a filter - only Nikon's wide angle adapter. Also there is a pin on the tube mount on the camera that disables the zoom with the tube attached the lens can't smack the back of the lens (or filter if using the bower tubes).

But with the bower tubes, the fit is just sloppy enough that if you rock the tube to the right, the lens won't zoom, but if you rock it to the left, it will. I think the tube is not making contact with the sensor pin on the camera when rocked to the left, which allows the camera to zoom. But overall it works well enough.

A bit hokey perhaps, but it is a viable solution for adding a polarizer or other filter.

The Bower tubes are available in both 52mm and 58mm diameters (and filter threads), but I only saw the 58mm ones on BH. Either will work. The 58mm tubes will interfere with the optical viewfinder as it will cut-off view at the bottom a bit (but not the image - just the optical viewfinder), and are not large enough to prevent vignetting at the lens's wide angle zoom (unless you remove the extension part), so I suppose it is up to what filter thread size you have. Amazon has both size tubes.

awboater, WOW. Thank you for the VERY detailed information.

I don't actually think I will get any feedback on the Fuji because I never do on this forum..

-cut-

Not sure if this helps...but…

The Nikon s9100 (18x zoom with a 25 wide angle) is a better comparison to the Fuji F550EXR (15x zoom with 24 wide angle).

Both are “P&S”, both pretty much pocket sized & advertized as one of the new “travel cameras”. (Sony & Panasonic have competing models too)

I'm in the same boat (ship?) as I'm trying to pick between those two P&S travel cameras, the Fugi F550EXR & the Nikon s9100.

I have both and as time allows I’m trying to see which one I like best!

(My previous Alaska cruise, I took a large & heavy Fuji S2Pro & a few lenses & flash, extra P&S cam, a backpack, a Pelican hard case, etc.... THIS time.... I going to try & go light… & relax!!!)

So far...... the Fuji F550EXR is a very nicely built camera, does a WHOLE lot of stuff, (see attached link to owners manual!) fast focus & does some interesting stuff with low light like taking 4 pictures in a row & combining them into one!

(Take some time & read thru all that Fuji claims the F550 can do, very cool if it all works as it should!)

http://fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportBrowse.do?prodcat=879029&sscucatid=664271&sscucatid=664272

But, …the Nikon has a very nice long lens & maybe a little sharper at full zoom or at least seems easier to get an in focus picture!

It is a little more “auto” oriented & has less controls.

Both cameras have 1 touch buttons for HD quality video.

***But I’ve only been playing for a day & maybe 20 or so pics each…..not enough to make a concrete decision yet!

Its going to be harder than I thought….maybe the wife will let me keep both???? :D

J

Not sure if this helps...but…

The Nikon s9100 (18x zoom with a 25 wide angle) is a better comparison to the Fuji F550EXR (15x zoom with 24 wide angle).

Both are “P&S”, both pretty much pocket sized & advertized as one of the new “travel cameras”. (Sony & Panasonic have competing models too)

I'm in the same boat (ship?) as I'm trying to pick between those two P&S travel cameras, the Fugi F550EXR & the Nikon s9100.

I have both and as time allows I’m trying to see which one I like best!

(My previous Alaska cruise, I took a large & heavy Fuji S2Pro & a few lenses & flash, extra P&S cam, a backpack, a Pelican hard case, etc.... THIS time.... I going to try & go light… & relax!!!)

So far...... the Fuji F550EXR is a very nicely built camera, does a WHOLE lot of stuff, (see attached link to owners manual!) fast focus & does some interesting stuff with low light like taking 4 pictures in a row & combining them into one!

(Take some time & read thru all that Fuji claims the F550 can do, very cool if it all works as it should!)

http://fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportBrowse.do?prodcat=879029&sscucatid=664271&sscucatid=664272

But, …the Nikon has a very nice long lens & maybe a little sharper at full zoom or at least seems easier to get an in focus picture!

It is a little more “auto” oriented & has less controls.

Both cameras have 1 touch buttons for HD quality video.

***But I’ve only been playing for a day & maybe 20 or so pics each…..not enough to make a concrete decision yet!

Its going to be harder than I thought….maybe the wife will let me keep both???? :D

J

Where did you purchase these that you can use them and return them? I guess a lot of places but you pay a restocking fee? Btw, I have loved my Fuji F30, but its a model from 2005 and again uses those old xD cards.

The Fuji buttons are pretty close with what is on my current Fuji. If I was choosing between those two I would pick the Fuji just because I am familiar with it. However, B&H had recommended the Nikon a couple of months ago when I told them what I was looking for with buttons/control on the camera, video, low light, etc. Isn't the Fuji the only one with the HD video?

Does the S9100 have advanced exposure control (Aperture/Shutter Priority and Manual) in addition to fully automatic? I didn't think it did.

Also I believe the S9100 has a smaller 1/2.3" sensor than the Fuji - more closer to the typical run-of-the-mill 1/2.5" P&S sensors.

I think perhaps the Nikon P300 is closer to the Fuji. Although the P300 has manual and Aperture/Shutter priority modes, it won't do RAW, so there are no 100% "apple-to-apple" comparisons I don't think. While the P300 has an incredible f/1.8 lens, unfortunately they put in a smaller sensor, which kind of reduces the advantage of the faster lens.

Typical P&S sensor sizes are 1/2.5, 1/2.3, 1/2, and 1/1.7, with the 1/2.5 being the smallest and 1/1.7 being the largest. Even then, a 1/1.7 is around 10% as large as APS sized DSLRs.

Nikon's P series is their high-end more capable compact cameras, their L series the low-end versions, and the S series is their in-between models.

Where did you purchase these that you can use them and return them? I guess a lot of places but you pay a restocking fee? Btw, I have loved my Fuji F30, but its a model from 2005 and again uses those old xD cards.

The Fuji buttons are pretty close with what is on my current Fuji. If I was choosing between those two I would pick the Fuji just because I am familiar with it. However, B&H had recommended the Nikon a couple of months ago when I told them what I was looking for with buttons/control on the camera, video, low light, etc. Isn't the Fuji the only one with the HD video?

Lots of places with limited returns, some even without restocking fees. (think big box stores). I didn't plan on actually opening the camera boxes, until I researched the subject a little better...but SOMEONE in my family couldn't wait...:o so they both got opened & I figure now I might as well shoot a few frames to get a better idea of which I like best!

I tried the GPS feature on the Fuji today...it seemed to work great! (unlike some reviews that claim it couldn't get a lock!) It took maybe two or three minutes for a cold initial, first time ever, lock.... then on battery save mode (gps on, only when camera is operating) it picked up a signal quickly every time I turned it on. Not sure it's something thats a must have thou.....

I love the feel of the Fuji F550, but it may take just a little more practice to get good results with, than the Nikon s9100... Too early to tell just yet!

(Something to keep in mind if you just like to shoot pictures & not have to read the manual!...)

**Both the Nikon (s9100) & the Fuji have the HD video. (as do the new Sony & Pana cams)

****However, I'm thinking that the Nikon p7000, or a Canon G12, or similar... would make it simpler to get "better" pictures (more DSLR like?) than any of the new "travel" long zoom, pocket cams!!!

(Something to keep in mind if long zoom & pocket size, isn't your priority!:))

Also, I have an older Fuji E550 P&S too, but its XD card and too large for pants pocket, plus its age!... means time for something newer, but it still takes nice pics!

My wife has an older Pana Lumix FX07, very small & takes way nice pics too!

... neither of these P&S cams have a very long lens tho, (not a big deal if I have my DSLR with me) ...but on this next trip, I want to just relax & not carry around the kitchen sink!!!;)

Decisions, decisions!

:)

Does the S9100 have advanced exposure control (Aperture/Shutter Priority and Manual) in addition to fully automatic? I didn't think it did.

Also I believe the S9100 has a smaller 1/2.3" sensor than the Fuji - more closer to the typical run-of-the-mill 1/2.5" P&S sensors.

I think perhaps the Nikon P300 is closer to the Fuji. Although the P300 has manual and Aperture/Shutter priority modes, it won't do RAW, so there are no 100% "apple-to-apple" comparisons I don't think. While the P300 has an incredible f/1.8 lens, unfortunately they put in a smaller sensor, which kind of reduces the advantage of the faster lens.

Nikon's P series is their high-end more capable compact cameras, their L series the low-end versions, and the S series is their in-between models.

Correct...the s9100 is mostly auto with "scene" features.

I thought the s9100 had the same backlite cmos sensor as the p300...but I'd have to check.

The F550 has a 16mp cmos sensor, about the same size as the s9100's 12mp sensor.. I thought?, ...again I'll check.

***however, the Fuji still uses their proprietary sensor that is able to coax more dymanic range...IF you use the 8mp mode! (something about using 1/2 the pixels to extend the range of light & dark)

The Fuji has full manual, if you count just three aperture settings as "full"!

Again....if I wasn't interested in the long lens AND pocket carry.... I would probably look at P7000 or G12 or along those lines!

Anyway...got run for dinner, probably should have waited until I had some time to look up the specs before I posted...maybe later!

And, if your saying the P300 is a better camera than the s9100, I agree! It's just that the P300 is not in the same "travel cam" class as the Fuji F550, Nikon s9100, Sony cybershot hx9v, Pana Lumix Zs10 ....

tonight I'll look at some more pics I took today & see if the Nikon or the Fuji gets to stay!:)

Yes, the only downside I see of the Nikon P7000/Canon G12 is they are not truly pocket cameras.

While there is a lot to be said about the convenience of a pocket camera - I ruined my wife's pocket camera last year on a cruise when I left it in my swim trunks. Oops.

So my wife now controls her replacement pocket camera (S570), and won't let me touch it...

I now have an Olympus 8010 as my current pocket camera. It's waterproof so I won't be drowning one anytime soon.

But I carry my P7000 in the afore mentioned Tamrac belt-loop pouch, and it's otherwise small enough.

Yes, the only downside I see of the Nikon P7000/Canon G12 is they are not truly pocket cameras.

While there is a lot to be said about the convenience of a pocket camera - I ruined my wife's pocket camera last year on a cruise when I left it in my swim trunks. Oops.

So my wife now controls her replacement pocket camera (S570), and won't let me touch it...

I now have an Olympus 8010 as my current pocket camera. It's waterproof so I won't be drowning one anytime soon.

But I carry my P7000 in the afore mentioned Tamrac belt-loop pouch, and it's otherwise small enough.

Awboater… I totally wish I could get a P7000 or G12 (or maybe one of the new interchangeable lens&sensor combo cameras!)… They are absolutely great cameras!

(but then I think how I would really enjoy having a D3, D3x or s, or latest full body super cool Nikon, to replace my ageing S2pro! Which is really just a Nikon built to Fuji specs for Fuji !) …Too much camera lust I guess, & not enough $$$ !

But for now….for me… I’m only have the bosses OK to get a new pocket (purse!) sized, long zoom, P&S. (She just doesn’t get the whole bigger is better camera thing!:o)

After reading up on the common “Travel Zoom” compact cameras, I narrowed the field down to two, Nikon & Fuji, …for several reasons, including long zoom, wide angle, availability & reasonable reviews!

(All of these travel cams seem to have very mixed reviews & its obvious the compromises made in size, reflect in quality elsewhere!)

So seeing that the OP is interested in the Fuji F550, I thought maybe the S9100 might be a better comparison.

Otherwise…if you are not worried about size, zoom/wide angle & maybe GPS…there are certainly much better cameras out there for the $$ !!!!

Oh yea… after sorting thru some more photos…I think I’m going to keep the Fuji F550.

It’s really hard to chose though, both took great shots, sometimes,:rolleyes: …and I really liked the slightly longer zoom of the Nikon S9100 & at times, its simpler auto only mode.

*** the Nikon had a strange “motor” noise/vibration at longer zoom, even after it had focused…like it was still “hunting” to focus ? Maybe it’s just the anti-shake (I doubt that tho) or maybe it is just a defect in my camera…I’ll have to read up on the reviews & see if it’s mentioned. I guess you would just get used to it after a while, maybe…

Anyway, the F550 felt better in my hand, gives me way more options if I want them, took a few great photos (which means the camera is capable.. just I need improvement!)

I like the color rendition better on the Fuji, (The Nikon had a slight green tint..Probably just a w/b adjustment… but who knows)

I didn’t really notice any difference in dynamic range, but I don’t think I had the F550 set up correctly. (exif data said F550 was shooting at 72dpi?...the Nikon said 300 dpi.)

The F550 also comes with an external battery charger standard & has the GPS.

Not a professional test by any means & I am not an experienced photography expert by any stretch of the imagination!

I feel I would be OK with either the Nikon or the Fuji, …if I didn’t have to make a choice….. cept I would probably want a replacement Nikon due to the lens motor issue.

So seeing that the OP is interested in the Fuji F550, I thought maybe the S9100 might be a better comparison.

Otherwise…if you are not worried about size, zoom/wide angle & maybe GPS…there are certainly much better cameras out there for the $$ !!!!

I am leaning towards the P7000 even though I am a Fuji fan. The only negative is that is will not fit in the zipper compartment of my smaller size Lowepro slingpack (which fits my D60, 300 lens, and wide angle), and I have no problem bringing on a plane with my 16" roller.

Does the Fuji 550 EXR support a polarizing filter?

I am leaning towards the P7000 even though I am a Fuji fan. The only negative is that is will not fit in the zipper compartment of my smaller size Lowepro slingpack (which fits my D60, 300 lens, and wide angle), and I have no problem bringing on a plane with my 16" roller.

Does the Fuji 550 EXR support a polarizing filter?

No,...not that I can see, but perhaps there MIGHT be some sort of slip-on adapter out there...really doubt it thou! Maybe someone else has seen something?

I see Costco has the P300 for $20 less than the S9100... but no P7000.:(

(They do have the D7000 on sale thou!!!!)

edit....****never mind, they are now out of stock! (was like $500 off as I recall!)

No,...not that I can see, but perhaps there MIGHT be some sort of slip-on adapter out there...really doubt it thou! Maybe someone else has seen something?

I see Costco has the P300 for $20 less than the S9100... but no P7000.:(

(They do have the D7000 on sale thou!!!!)

edit....****never mind, they are now out of stock! (was like $500 off as I recall!)

Walmart has the P7000 on sale for $349.00, but of course I have to add tax (vs someplace like B&H). I also than have to get the polarizing filter, attachment, extra charger, and extra battery, and case somewhere else and will have to add shipping, so I'm not sure if there is a big savings.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-P7000-Black/15125588

Walmart has the P7000 on sale for $349.00, but of course I have to add tax (vs someplace like B&H). I also than have to get the polarizing filter, attachment, extra charger, and extra battery, and case somewhere else and will have to add shipping, so I'm not sure if there is a big savings.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-P7000-Black/15125588

Thats a good price at Wallymart! (probably order only thou) & the Mart has a pretty good return policy, 14 days I think. No Q's asked.

B&H has free shipping but is $60 more. They have a better return policy, 30 days...just don't put too many snaps on the shutter! less than 200? (Plus you have to ship back Vs return at the local store...unless you live in NY!)

I have purchased lots of stuff at B&H & been very happy with everything, including their fast shipping! Used to be the place to buy all your cameras....but now some of the big box stores give them a run for their money for the more common cameras.

Now...for all the specialty items! B&H rules!!!

Archived