P&S - Nikon Coolpix p7000 vs Fuji F550 EXR

Jade13

Also the LowePro Apex 60 is not as large as it looks. It actually measures 4.25w x 5.5h x 3d at it's deepest. It also has a rain cover.

pouches1.jpg

Here are the three pouches I have. The Tamrac 5689 to the left, the LowePro Apex 60AW in the center, and the Think Tank "Modular Pouch" to the right.

The main difference between the LowePro and the other two is it is a bit thicker. You can put a spare battery in the front compartment, something you would be hard pressed to do with the other two.

pouches2.jpg

There is a divider flap and the P7000 just fits in the rear compartment, and there is room for a spare battery in the front. There is a compartment for SDHC cards as well. The Tamrac has a compartment in the front for SDHC cards, but the Think Tank does not.

The LowePro and Think Tank have rain covers, but the Tamrac does not.

The Tamrac can only be used with a belt; both the LowePro and Think Tank have several attachment options, but they all can use a neck strap. The Tamrac and LowePro come with neck straps for the pouch, and while the Think Tank has loops for one, it does not come with a neck strap.

Anyway, hopefully this gives you some insite as to at least three pouches that will fit the P7000. There are certainly other pouches out there as well.

awboater, wow. Thank you for all of the detailed information, and taking so much time to assist me! You are a real consumer. I can see why you like the Think Tank "Modular Pouch", as it fits in a larger case. I have no idea how you superimposed the camera inside the case. The Tamrac looks nice but I am going to stay away from one with velcro as I would be concerned about memory cards falling out. The case that Nikon makes for the camera is totally open on the sides.

B&H actually recommended the Lowepro Apex 20, but I have to make sure the camera will fit since it is smaller than the one you have (I prefer the smallest case which will fit a spare battery and extra memory cards).

For the price, if I don't like it I can always purchase something else. B&H price is less than elsewhere.

Is the strap a full size Nikon strap? I don't think it will fit in any of these pouches.

Lowepro Apex 20 $14.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487295-REG/Lowepro_LP34979_0EU_Apex_20_AW_Pouch.html

Material Exterior: Water-resistant 210 denier nylon and 420 denier nylon

Interior: Soft lining

Interior: Padded Type of Closure Zippers Exterior Dimensions 3.6 x 2.4 x 4.9" (9.14 x 6.1x 12.45cm) (WxDxH) Interior Dimensions 2.8 x 1.4 x 4.4" (7.1 x 3.56 x 11.18cm) (WxDxH) Accommodates Ultra-compact digital camera, memory card and spare batteries Carrying/Transport Options Adjustable shoulder strap Weight 4.64 oz (132g)

The Tamrac 5217 definatly does not look as good as the Lowepro, but I know how it works.

Tamrac 5217 T17 Digital Traveler Bag - for Slim Digital Camera with Accessories (Camouflage)

Tamrac 5217

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465643-REG/Tamrac_521781_5217_T17_Bag_Camouflage.html

Material Exterior: 600 denier PolyTek fabric

Interior: Lined with thick, closed-cell foam. Type of Closure Zippers with zipper pulls Exterior Dimensions 3 1/4 x 2 3/4 x 5 1/2" (10 x 7.0 x 16cm) (WxDxH) Interior Dimensions 2 5/8 x 1 1/2 x 5.0" (7.0 x 4.0 x 13cm) (WxDxH) Carrying/Transport Options Shoulder strap

Belt loop Weight 4.0 oz (113g)

Lowepro Apex 60 $24.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lowepro+apex+60+aw&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Interior: Padded

Type of Closure Zippers

Exterior Dimensions 4.4 x 3.1 x 5.4" (11.18 x 7.87 x 13.72cm) (WxDxH)

Interior Dimensions 3.6 x 2.4 x 4.7" (9.14 x 6.1 x 11.94cm) (WxDxH)

Accommodates Ultra-compact digital camera, memory card or ultra-compact video cameraand spare batteries

Carrying/Transport Options Adjustable shoulder strap

Weight 5.92 oz (168g)

Lowepro Apex 20 $14.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487295-REG/Lowepro_LP34979_0EU_Apex_20_AW_Pouch.html

Interior: Padded Type of Closure Zippers Exterior Dimensions 3.6 x 2.4 x 4.9" (9.14 x 6.1x 12.45cm) (WxDxH) Interior Dimensions 2.8 x 1.4 x 4.4" (7.1 x 3.56 x 11.18cm) (WxDxH) Accommodates Ultra-compact digital camera, memory card and spare batteries Carrying/Transport Options Adjustable shoulder strap Weight 4.64 oz (132g)

Lowepro Apex 60 $24.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lowepro+apex+60+aw&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Type of Closure Zippers

Accommodates Ultra-compact digital camera, memory card or ultra-compact video cameraand spare batteries

Weight 5.92 oz (168g)

According to the p7000 specs neither the Lowepro Apex 20 or Apex 60 will fit the camera.

The Nikon p7000 is listed as

4.5" (W) x 3.1" (H) x 1.8" (D)

The dimensions on the Lowepro Apex W60 has the exterior width as 4.4" and the interior width as 3.6".

The Lowepro Apex 20 has the exterior width as 3.6" and the interior width as 2.8". The interior depth is listed as 1.4" (but the camera is 1.8" in depth).

edit:.... I don't think that either Sageway nor Nikon extended warranties cover any "accidental" damage, nor abuse, etc,etc... Sageway even says not covered for "normal defects" and "foreign objects in camera"...like sand in lens?

According to the Sageway site they do cover accidental damage. If not, it would serve no purpose over Nikons own warranty eccept to cover shipping costs.

What is ADH?

Accidental Damage from Handling protects your portable electronic products, computers and printers from damage caused by unexpected mishaps, including:

• Unintentional spills, drops, falls and impacts
  • Screen damage resulting from ADH
  • Cracked lens
  • Electronics within the lenses

ADH coverage is available for all portable electronic products including*:

• Notebook computers
  • Portable DVD players
  • Cameras and camcorders
  • MP3 Players
  • Desktops Computers and Printers

According to the Sageway site they do cover accidental damage. If not, it would serve no purpose over Nikons own warranty eccept to cover shipping costs.

What is ADH?

Accidental Damage from Handling protects your portable electronic products, computers and printers from damage caused by unexpected mishaps, including:

• Unintentional spills, drops, falls and impacts
  • Screen damage resulting from ADH
  • Cracked lens
  • Electronics within the lenses

ADH coverage is available for all portable electronic products including*:

• Notebook computers
  • Portable DVD players
  • Cameras and camcorders
  • MP3 Players
  • Desktops Computers and Printers

Sorry...didn't see that, I'll have to go back & look again when I have time!

I did click on the link to Sageway (max) & glanced thru their fine print...like all of those coverages, it appeared that they had a lot of "outs"....

(I have had experience with B&H's previous insurance, "Mack", which supposedly was highly recommended...and wasn't totally thrilled with their service...although in the end I did get my camera back,fixed...)

Sagemax is really N.E.W., National Electronics Warranty...which does the extended warranties for all the big box stores & a bunch of places. (walmart,etc.,etc)

Sagemax is the policy they sell for B&H. (Supposedly N.E.W. is backed by AIG...not sure hows thats working out just yet)

Quick Google didn't show too many actual user reviews...but of the four I saw, three were negative. A little more research might show a different picture.

You are correct, the Sagemax policy you linked to, covers "ADH".

But...here is some of the fine print to ADH: Note #3

"What is not covered: This Plan does not cover: (1) incidental or consequential damages (2) pre-existing conditions; (3) damage from abuse, misuse, introduction of foreign objects into the product, unauthorized product modifications or alterations, failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions; (4) accessories and supplies, including but not limited to: BULBS AND/OR LAMPS, batteries, antennas, cartridges, styluses, records, audio/video disks, tapes, computer software or disks, print elements, external power supplies; (5) acts of god; (6) preventative maintenance; (7) inherent product defects, (8) public rental, or communal use in multi-family housing; (9) damage which is not reported within 30 days after expiration of this Plan; (10) loss or damage to stored data, repairs related to installed software, computer viruses, cracked or physically damaged screens or computer hardware which is added after the original purchase; (11) burned-in phosphor in cathode ray tubes or any other type of display; (12) any damage to recording media including any software programs, data, or configuration/setup information resident on any mass storage devices such as hard drives, CD-ROM drives, DVD drives, floppy diskettes, tape drives or tape backup systems, as a result of the malfunctioning or damage of an operating or non-operating part, or as a result of any repairs or replacement under this Plan; (13) Products with removed or altered serial numbers; (14) loss or corruption of data and/or the restoration of software and operating systems; (15) loss and/or theft of the product; (16) loss of use, loss of business, loss of profits, down-time and charges for time and effort; (17) any failures, or parts and/or labor cost incurred as a result of a manufacturer’s recall, regardless of the manufacturer’s ability to pay for such repairs; (18) damage covered under any insurance policy, or any other warranty or service plan; AND (19) WAR, INVASION OR ACT OF FOREIGN ENEMY, HOSTILITIES, CIVIL WAR, REBELLION, RIOT, STRIKE, LABOR DISTURBANCE, LOCKOUT OR CIVIL COMMOTION."

link:

http://www.bandhsagemax.com/terms_and_conditions.asp

Anyway, if the cost is reasonable to you...then the peace of mind, even if you never use it...is worth it!

(If you ever have to use it....then my opinion is it's gonna be a toss-up if you are going to come away pleased as punch....or so stressed out over the runaround, that you wished you never heard of extended warranties!)

Regardless....I know you are going to really enjoy your new Nikon!!!:)

awboater, wow. Thank you for all of the detailed information, and taking so much time to assist me! You are a real consumer. I can see why you like the Think Tank "Modular Pouch", as it fits in a larger case. I have no idea how you superimposed the camera inside the case. The Tamrac looks nice but I am going to stay away from one with velcro as I would be concerned about memory cards falling out. The case that Nikon makes for the camera is totally open on the sides.

B&H actually recommended the Lowepro Apex 20, but I have to make sure the camera will fit since it is smaller than the one you have (I prefer the smallest case which will fit a spare battery and extra memory cards).

For the price, if I don't like it I can always purchase something else. B&H price is less than elsewhere.

Is the strap a full size Nikon strap? I don't think it will fit in any of these pouches.

Lowepro Apex 20 $14.95

The Tamrac 5217 definatly does not look as good as the Lowepro, but I know how it works.

Tamrac 5217 T17 Digital Traveler Bag - for Slim Digital Camera with Accessories (Camouflage)

Tamrac 5217

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465643-REG/Tamrac_521781_5217_T17_Bag_Camouflage.html

Material Exterior: 600 denier PolyTek fabric

Interior: Lined with thick, closed-cell foam. Type of Closure Zippers with zipper pulls Exterior Dimensions 3 1/4 x 2 3/4 x 5 1/2" (10 x 7.0 x 16cm) (WxDxH) Interior Dimensions 2 5/8 x 1 1/2 x 5.0" (7.0 x 4.0 x 13cm) (WxDxH) Carrying/Transport Options Shoulder strap

Belt loop Weight 4.0 oz (113g)

Lowepro Apex 60 $24.95

Type of Closure Zippers

Weight 5.92 oz (168g)

Actually I made a mistake. The case that B&H is recommending is the

Lowepro Digital Resolution: D-Res 20 AW Pouch - Black for $16.49. They said the "Apex" 20 is too small and Apex 60 large. They said the Resolution 20 comes with an all weather pouch and camera neck strap will fit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/172655-REG/Lowepro_1942010_D_Res_20_AW_Pouch.html

Here is the best deal on earth. I bought it from Amazon for my P7000 - so it is legitimate. They send you a Nikon extended warranty card to fill out.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Extended-Service-Coverage-Coolpix/dp/B0017SWH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308783855&sr=8-1

Nikon branded Coolpix warranty - 2 yrs extended warranty for $4.99

You are supposed to send it in to Nikon within 10 days for it to be valid - so since it takes a couple of days for you to receive, order it at the same time you order the camera.

I am going to get this Nikon extended warranty which would make the warranty 3 years.

I am going to get this Nikon extended warranty which would make the warranty 3 years.

That's a super deal! And a pretty safe bet too, as I've heard good things about the Nikon Ext warranty!

Lets see some pictures from your new Nikon when it comes in!

:)

I finally made my purchase :)

I ordered from B&H at 11:00AM today, and my order was shipped before they closed at 2:00PM est. What great service! I did not know that B&H can usually match prices from an authorized dealer, which they were able to do on the case. (They said Walmart could be a problem to match as they get such large volume discounts). They could not match the price on the Nikon extended warranty, which I did order through Amazon.

I was helped by Mike at B&H if anyone needs a good contact there. His extension is x5653. He was not the person who wrote the original quote, was not pushy, and a pleasure to work with. He uses the p7000, along with many other cameras, so could answer lots of questions.

I ordered the following:

Nikon Coolpix p7000 $374.00

EN-EL 14 battery $34.99

MH-24 charger for EN-EL 14 battery $44.95 (I am aware the camera comes with a battery and charger, but I like extras)

Lowepro Apex 60 AW Pouch $19.76

Nikon Coolpix p7000 Adaptor tube 58mm $12.95 (for polarizing filter)

58mm-67mm step-up ring (lens to filter) $6.95 (I realized I have a 67mm Hoya/Moose polarizing filter that I use on my Nikon 70-300mm lens)

OP/Tech USA System Connectors mini QD loops (Set of 4) $5.95

(awboater recommends. I am aware I still need to select a strap, but these look useful)

Total $499.00

Extended 2 year Nikon Warranty - $6.86 (from Amazon, the prices keep changing).

Thanks again for all of the helpful information, including from Rllyfun, and especially all the details and pictures on this specific camera posted by awboater.

I should have the camera and Equipment on Monday!

I made a previous post on this thread about camera straps, but somehow it didn't post correctly. So I'll try to repost an abbreviated version.

What I do with the Mini QD connectors is to take a Tamrac camera strap and adapt it to them. The Tamrac strap comes with a set of adapters - originally intended to connect to a camera body, but I adapted them to the QD connectors:

strap3.jpg

Shown above is the Tamrac camera strap adapter (comes with many tamrac straps) on the left, and QD connector on the right. The Tamrac adapters are supposed to be attached to the DSLR, but since I use them as adapters to the QD connectors, I cannot use them on the DSLR (more on that later).

strap1.jpg

Then the other end of the mini QD can go on the camera. So you can use a nice heavy duty standard Tamrac neck strap on the P7000.

strap4.jpg

And you should get two sets of mini QD connectors in one package, so the other set you can use to connect to your camera pouch.

That way, the camera strap is also the pouch strap - so you won't need to figure out where to store the strap. It is perhaps just a bit short for shoulder use, but it's useable. When I want to store the camera in the pouch, I disconnect the camera strap from the camera and store the camera in the pouch without the strap, and then connect the camera strap to the pouch as a carry strap - and presto - no need to figure out where to store the strap.

One reason I like the Think Tank pouch is that I can fold the pouch flat and stuff it in my pocket when I have the camera out. At any rate, you can connect one set of the QD connectors to your Apex 60 (or any other pouch that has loops for a neck strap).

And if you want to go one step further, you can buy two sets of Op/Tech's Uni-Loop (1301062) and attach them to your DSLR. These come male/female to one set, so you need two sets to get two female ends. Anyway, these fit the Tamrac strap side-release buckles, so you can use the same camera neck strap for your DSLR, D7000, and pouch.

strap5a.jpg

For some reason Op/Tech decided to use a male/female pair for their UniLoops, and as they come as a single male/female set, you have to buy two sets to get two female buckles to attach to the Tamrac camera strap. Luckily though the Op/Tech and Tamrac buckles fit each other.

I like the UniLoops better for my DSLR as they are heavier duty than the Mini QDs. The Mini QD will probably work with a DSLR and light lens, but when I use my 80-200mm f/2.8, it is a heavy lens and I am not trusting it to the smaller loops.

strap6a.jpg

And lastly, I use the same QD mini loops on not only the P7000, but my Qlympus waterproof camera and my wife has a set for her Point & Shoot.

We had to change the strap connector on the floatie strap to a QD connector, but it is a pretty nice setup now that I have everything on one kind of strap connector.

strap1.jpg

Awboater...I just ordered a few op/tech straps from B&H last week, glad to learn you like them,... as I wasn't too sure about the brand!

(I almost ordered the extra mini loops, now I wish I had!)

Oh well, good reason to place another order with B&H....!

Thanks for the pictures & great descriptions of the straps!

I have the mini neoprene Op/Tech straps for compacts as I show in the photo - but no Op/Tech DSLR /full sized ones. For those I have a couple Tamrac straps and one Tenba strap.

I especially like the Tenba strap as it has a "suspension" of sorts (but I did have to modify it to work with the Tamrac connectors).

I made a previous post on this thread about camera straps, but somehow it didn't post correctly. So I'll try to repost an abbreviated version.

What I do with the Mini QD connectors is to take a Tamrac camera strap and adapt it to them. The Tamrac strap comes with a set of adapters - originally intended to connect to a camera body, but I adapted them to the QD connectors:

strap3.jpg

Shown above is the Tamrac camera strap adapter (comes with many tamrac straps) on the left, and QD connector on the right. The Tamrac adapters are supposed to be attached to the DSLR, but since I use them as adapters to the QD connectors, I cannot use them on the DSLR (more on that later).

strap1.jpg

Then the other end of the mini QD can go on the camera. So you can use a nice heavy duty standard Tamrac neck strap on the P7000.

strap4.jpg

And you should get two sets of mini QD connectors in one package, so the other set you can use to connect to your camera pouch.

That way, the camera strap is also the pouch strap - so you won't need to figure out where to store the strap. It is perhaps just a bit short for shoulder use, but it's useable. When I want to store the camera in the pouch, I disconnect the camera strap from the camera and store the camera in the pouch without the strap, and then connect the camera strap to the pouch as a carry strap - and presto - no need to figure out where to store the strap.

One reason I like the Think Tank pouch is that I can fold the pouch flat and stuff it in my pocket when I have the camera out. At any rate, you can connect one set of the QD connectors to your Apex 60 (or any other pouch that has loops for a neck strap).

And if you want to go one step further, you can buy two sets of Op/Tech's Uni-Loop (1301062) and attach them to your DSLR. These come male/female to one set, so you need two sets to get two female ends. Anyway, these fit the Tamrac strap side-release buckles, so you can use the same camera neck strap for your DSLR, D7000, and pouch.

strap5a.jpg

For some reason Op/Tech decided to use a male/female pair for their UniLoops, and as they come as a single male/female set, you have to buy two sets to get two female buckles to attach to the Tamrac camera strap. Luckily though the Op/Tech and Tamrac buckles fit each other.

I like the UniLoops better for my DSLR as they are heavier duty than the Mini QDs. The Mini QD will probably work with a DSLR and light lens, but when I use my 80-200mm f/2.8, it is a heavy lens and I am not trusting it to the smaller loops.

strap6a.jpg

And lastly, I use the same QD mini loops on not only the P7000, but my Qlympus waterproof camera and my wife has a set for her Point & Shoot.

We had to change the strap connector on the floatie strap to a QD connector, but it is a pretty nice setup now that I have everything on one kind of strap connector.

strap1.jpg

Thank you once again for all of the details. I think I would prefer a longer cross body type strap, but of course that is getting larger.

When we are sightseeing we are often going through ruins, into caves, tunnels, etc. and I can not have the camera swinging forward when I duck my head, or take a chance of it falling off of my shoulder. These sling straps from Op Tech are probably what I am looking for. I am not sure if the pics are accurate and strap is on the left shoulder so camera sits on right side, which is the way I prefer.

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (Black)

$21.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699658-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3501242_Utility_Strap_Sling_Black.html

Product Highlights

• Fits Small Bags,Battery Packs, Cameras
  • Neoprene Pad with Lycra Binding
  • 3/4" Webbing
  • Internal Support Foam
  • Attaches with Uni-Loop System
  • Quick Disconnect System Connectors
  • Non-skid Surface
  • Made in the USA

• B&H # OPSUSBZ
  • Mfr# 3501242

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (Nature)

$21.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699659-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3510242_Utility_Strap_Sling_Nature.html

Product Highlights

• Fits Small Bags,Battery Packs, Cameras
  • Neoprene Pad with Lycra Binding
  • 3/4" Webbing
  • Internal Support Foam
  • Attaches with Uni-Loop System
  • Quick Disconnect System Connectors
  • Non-skid Surface
  • Made in the USA

B&H # OPSUSNZ

Mfr# 3510242

Or an adapter if you already have a strap

OP/TECH USA System Connectors: Sling Strap Adapter

$9.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736118-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1301242_System_Connectors_Sling_Strap.html

Product Highlights

• Fits Most Op/Tech Straps
  • Converts into an Over-The-Shoulder Sling
  • Includes 2 Uni-Loop Connectors
  • Camera or Binoculars Glide Up and Down
  • Adjustable Length of 47.5-26"
  • Made in the USA

• B&H # OPSCSS

It's amazing the direction this thread is going - I have a couple of the Black Rapid style sling straps that I bought on eBay about 8 months ago for under $20. I don't have the Op/Tech version. The Op/Tech uses that silly male/female setup, so you almost have to buy the neck strap too.

Here is the one I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Black-Quick-Rapid-Camera-Sling-Strap-All-Camera-/190482381267?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2c59a279d3

I really do prefer them for my DSLR, but for the P7000 it is small enough that it tends to bounce around my hip if I use that strap.

I like the mounting plate a lot better on these eBay knock-offs than the mounting screw on the Black Rapid. I understand that the reason these have different camera mounting methods is because copywrite issues required them to be different - so they used a different camera mounting plate (which I actually prefer). Copywrite issues are probably why the Op/Tech version is a bit different as well.

But I did buy a Black Rapid mounting screw (the thing that goes into the tripod socket) to try with the p7000, but didn't like how the camera dangled on my side.

Otherwise the Black Rapid style straps are great; but I honestly think the Quick version is better (and cheaper - although Black Rapid is made in the US). I liked mine so much that I bought one of these for my son too.

While I prefer to use this strap, if I am carrying a camera bag, I usually go to the neck strap, as the sling strap and camera bag straps tend to interfere with each other (especially my modified strap, which I detail below).

But if all I have is my camera, then I prefer the sling strap - especially if I am using my 80-200mm f/2.8 lens, which is very heavy. When I mount the lens on the camera, I mount the strap on the lens, and it is much easier to carry around than 5 lbs of stuff hanging on your neck.

Since I use a multitude of straps, this is why I use the quick disconnects on my cameras - so that I can quickly change from neck strap to sling strap.

But again, I do prefer a neck strap for the p7000 as it is lighter and smaller, and just feels better around my neck.

Also, I found there were also some issues to the Black Rapid style sling straps, so I modified mine to solve these problems (remember I have a commercial sewing machine for webbing & canvas work).

The first issue I had with the strap is that it was a bit too short for me. So I lengthened it a bit by adding a webbing extension to it.

The first issue is that while using the strap, the shoulder pad part tends to slide towards your sternum, and I am always having to constantly reposition the shoulder strap to the top of my shoulder. Black Rapid sells something called a BRAD. It is an axillary strap that loops under your armpit to keep the shoulder strap from moving.

But I have a lot of webbing supplies, so a couple of Tees, a side-release buckle and a bit of 1/2" webbing, and I made my own for under $1.

strap9a.jpg

It is a tremendous improvement.

The next issue is that even when the camera is "at rest" at your hip, it can swing around if you bend forward, climb around stuff, and so on. I solved that problem as well. The camera mounting plate that comes with my strap has a slot in one end, and I used yet another Op/Tech Uni-Loop.

But this time, I used the male/female ends together and put one end on the camera plate, and the other end on a snap-swivel that I can attach to my belt loop.

strap7a.jpg

I attach the belt-loop hook right next to where the camera "rests", and by using the Op/Tech quick disconnect, I can secure the camera to my side if I am climbing around stuff, or just to keep it swaying in general if I am active.

strap8.jpg

Here is a closeup of the mounting plate, showing that the Op/Tech connector just loops around the slot. The mounting plate also has a 1/4" thread in the bottom so you can use it with a tripod - something the Black Rapid cannot do (unless you buy a special adapter for it).

And lastly - although I have not installed it yet - I found these cool 1/2" side-release buckle Whistles. I am thinking of replacing the front buckle for my axillary strap with one of these - so I can have an "anti-theft" annunciator... But I have not installed it, as it might not look that "cool".

strap10.jpg

Again as I said, I use this for my DSLR, but prefer the smaller neck strap for my P7000, as since it is lighter, it tends to bounce around a lot when I walk around. While I could use my belt-loop gizmo to secure it, I just prefer to use the system with my DSLR.

By the way, I just remembered that Black Rapid does make a couple of mini-strap versions for the p7000, but I didn't like them because they look too much like a purse. I ain't so secure that I am comfortable with a man-purse.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr20/

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr35/

Thanks so much for this discussion of straps. I've been a fan of the Op/Tech straps for many years and have never been disappointed :)

I ordered an Op/Tech neoprene wrist strap for my new P7000 and a Kata DP-415 pouch all from Amazon just a couple of days ago along with a GorillaPod for early/late photos and stability.

Your discussion on strap combinations is most useful. I didn't know the floating strap even existed... need one for my Kodak Sport digicam.

My P7000 will take a little practice. But that's what I do best. Only a few images so far but it exceeds my expectations.

Kevin

I just received my camera/order today from B&H (ordered on Friday). Right now I am just charging a battery.

I like the Lowepro case, AW 60 (smaller looking than the picture), but agree that I need to replace the strap which is very slim. I am thinking of one that is made as a cross body. I actually like the Nikon strap that comes with the camera, so will likely use it for now with the camera. It fits in the case. Because, as discussed earlier, the case is a little large for the p7000, there is actually room to fold the strap on the side, and of course room for a battery and memory cards.

I ordered the Nikon 2 year extended warranty on Amazon through Shutterbug. I noticed to my dismay today that the warranty might not ship until July 6 or 7 (I thought it had said 2 days). So, I called Shutterbug directly and it was shipped out an hour or so later. I thought that was very good service.

First thing you will want to do is to see if you have the latest firmware. There were a few issues with the initial release that were fixed with the update. The latest version is ver 1.1

Here is a link to the update: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17102

Enjoy your new camera.

Thanks! I had read about the issue but forgot to ask about it. It came with Nikon ViewNX2 software, but I don't know if there is a firmware issue.

The firmware update came out in Dec 2010. If your camera was manufactured within the last 6 months, it will likely have the latest firmware. I bought mine in Feb 2011, and it had v1.0 on it.

To check the firmware, depress the "menu" button, then down-arrow to the setup menu (the menu with a wrench icon). Then scroll down the menu items until you see Firmware Version (second page). It will have a -- on the value, but right arrow and it will show the firmware version on the camera.

If it is ver 1.1 you have the latest version.

The firmware update came out in Dec 2010. If your camera was manufactured within the last 6 months, it will likely have the latest firmware. I bought mine in Feb 2011, and it had v1.0 on it.

To check the firmware, depress the "menu" button, then down-arrow to the setup menu (the menu with a wrench icon). Then scroll down the menu items until you see Firmware Version (second page). It will have a -- on the value, but right arrow and it will show the firmware version on the camera.

If it is ver 1.1 you have the latest version.

It is V1.0.

And lastly - although I have not installed it yet - I found these cool 1/2" side-release buckle Whistles. I am thinking of replacing the front buckle for my axillary strap with one of these - so I can have an "anti-theft" annunciator... But I have not installed it, as it might not look that "cool".

strap10.jpg

These are totally cool! Where did you find the buckle whistle?

I am considering a Fuji P&S for water/underwater use, so still trying to figure out the straps and what I will need. I am not sure if you gave the link for the floating strap? I know Fuji makes one for their camera. I am not sure about using the mini-connectors though.

Do a search on Amazon for "floating camera strap" or similar - you should get dozens of choices. The one I have is an "Olympus" brand; I think Pentax and others have their brands as well as generic ones.

Regardless of what "brand" you get, they are all the same.

The strap does come with a small connector, but it is incompatible with the Op/Tech connectors, which is why I changed mine out. Just about all of the floating straps look to have the same connector though (the straps are probably all made in China by the same company anyway). Your biggest problem is to determine what color you want.

Also, check with your waterproof camera manufacturer for different cases. I also have a life-jacket looking floatation case for my Olympus 8010; but I have not changed out the strap connector for it yet. I suppose it will fit any other cameras of the same size.

31nJteRkn9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is a link for the WhistleLoc - it's about half way down the page.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/side.html

They are only available for 3/4" webbing, which is what most sternum straps are.

strap3.jpg

strap1.jpg

strap4.jpg

strap5a.jpg

strap6a.jpg

strap1.jpg

Who makes a sling strap like this one, but will connect to both ends of my Nikon D60?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699658-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3501242_Utility_Strap_Sling_Black.html

I realized that I do not like the way this hangs from one side of the camera. I also think the mini loops that I already purchased are too small to hold that camera. I thought I could also use the sling strap with the case for the p7000, but again need a strap that connects to both sides of the case. Any suggestions?

I can not tell if this strap would work for the p7000 case?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542403-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3819332_Envy_Strap_Forest_Green.html

OP/TECH USA Envy Strap (Forest Green)

email

print

Prev

|(40 of 103)|

Next

Product Highlights

Fits Cameras or Binoculars up to 7.0 lbs

Antimicrobial High-tech Memory Foam

Tailored, Non-stretch Design

Uses 3/8" System Connectors

Made in the USA

B&H # OPESF

Mfr# 3819332

read reviews (2 reviews) write a review

Click to see our price

why?

Calculate Shipping

In Stock

This item is in your cart

What item is right for you?

Ask our Experts!

Live Chat

OP/TECH USA

OP/TECH USA Envy Strap (Forest Green)

Enlarge Image

Overview

Specifications

Customer Reviews

Accessories

Material High-tech memory foam

Attachment Method 3/8" system connectors

Exterior Dimensions 1.0 x 26 - 52" (2.54 x 66 - 132cm) (WxL)

Weight 2.4 oz (68g)

I think I might have purchased the wrong mini-connectors.

For the DSLR, I prefer the Black Rapid style sling straps. I have a Quick Rapid brand, which is somewhat of a knock-off of the Black Rapid. The Black Rapid is around $50~$70, which is pretty expensive for a strap, but they are made in the USA.

The Quick, on the other hand is made-in-China, but they work very well. I bought mine (and one for my son) on eBay for under $20 each. Do a search on "quick black rapid", and you will see plenty of straps you can choose from.

These straps all mount to the camera's tripod screw, and when I am using my bazooka sized telephoto lens, the strap can mount to the lens itself. This provides better balance, takes the stress off the camera, and is a lot more comfortable to carry around than a 5lbs of camera and lens hanging from your neck.

I like these types better than the Op/Tech sling strap as I think the tripod mount is more secure than the side-release buckles the Op/Tech strap uses - especially when I am carrying the "bazooka".

I will sometimes use a neck strap with the DSLR; just depends on where I am and what I am doing. I use mostly Tamrac straps, but I did buy a nifty Tenba "Super Bungee" strap that has a cool suspension system. I had to modify it for use with the Tamrac type quick release buckles, but I have a commercial sewing machine, so it is not a problem for me to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-SuperBungee-631-523-Camera-Strap/dp/B003HIXH8Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310132803&sr=1-5

The Tenba neck strap has a bungee cord integraded into the center part, which provides a suspension, and it seems to be an improvement, but since there is still weight hanging from my neck, it is still a strain.

But for the P7000, I prefer a neck strap as the camera is light enough to be little strain around my neck, and it seems to want to bounce too much when using a sling type strap. I like to carry the camera low on my hip on the sling strap, but with the lighter P7000, it bounces around too much. I am sure it is because of my preferred low position of the strap.

At any rate, the Op/Tech mini QD connectors are great for the P7000, but I would have the same concern as you about using them for my heavier DSLR.

I have gone to Op/Tech Uni-Loops for the DSLR, which are the same kind of thing as the mini QDs, but just more heavy duty. I have used them on my DSLR for awhile now, and they seem to hold up to the extra weight OK.

So in summary, I have three strap systems.

For my Nikon P7000, my Olympus 8010 underwater P&S, and my wife's Nikon S570; I use Op/Tech neck and wrist straps and their mini QD loops. And I modified a floating strap to use the QD loops so they can be quick change with the others.

For my Nikon D90 DSLR, I use a Black Rapid style sling strap, especially for times I am carrying heavy lenses.

But for other times, such as when I have a macro lens and ring flash attached, I don't want to knock the flash off the lens by it bouncing around on my hip, I still use a neck strap. I use either Tamrac or a modified Tenba neck strap and use Op/Tech's Uni-Loops for connection to the camera.

I have several camera bags; all for different purposes - travel kit, macro kit, pro kit, and so on; and so that I don't have to completely empty the contents of one bag and stuff them in another, I usually have the different straps in different bags. But I didn't go out one day and buy a bunch of straps; I have assimilated them over the years (Fathers day gifts, Christmas presents from my cheap brother, and so on).

Anyway, these are the systems I came up with that work for me. Hope this helps.

Archived