Who went to Sanya without Visa?

Almondtree

Hi,

We are going on a HAL cruise to SE Asia in January. There are NO ports in mainland China. We leave from Hong Kong for which we do not need a visa. There is lots and lot of controversy in Cruise Critic about whether or not a visa is needed for Sanya - which is Hainan province. In fact, the Los Angeles Chinese consulate website says no visa is needed. So I actually went to the consulate in hopes of getting a definitive answer but they said it's needed. Obviously they don't know what's in their website.

I am of the mind not to spend $300 for 2 visas for 1 day in a port where I understand there is not much to see. So I'm willing to take my chances.

SO, I would love to hear from those who actually got off the ship in Sanya WITHOUT a visa. If you did it, then it can be done and I will consider the matter settled.

Thanks to all,

Phyllis

Hi,

We are going on a HAL cruise to SE Asia in January. There are NO ports in mainland China. We leave from Hong Kong for which we do not need a visa. There is lots and lot of controversy in Cruise Critic about whether or not a visa is needed for Sanya - which is Hainan province. In fact, the Los Angeles Chinese consulate website says no visa is needed. So I actually went to the consulate in hopes of getting a definitive answer but they said it's needed. Obviously they don't know what's in their website.

I am of the mind not to spend $300 for 2 visas for 1 day in a port where I understand there is not much to see. So I'm willing to take my chances.

SO, I would love to hear from those who actually got off the ship in Sanya WITHOUT a visa. If you did it, then it can be done and I will consider the matter settled.

Thanks to all,

Phyllis

Call the cruise line. It is not a matter of getting OFF the ship in Sanya, it is a matter of whether HAL will let you BOARD initially without a visa. Get it in WRITING. You may have to purchase the visa just to board the ship.

And websites, particularly from Chinese Consulates, very often have conflicting information. I do business in China and until a couple years ago, was there frequently. I would go into the LA Consulate and get two different answers from people standing next to each other on different days. The policies and procedures for Chinese visas are NOT standardized across Consulates in the USA and there is even more conflict between Consulates in the USA and Beijing.

Good luck!!!

HAL's web site directs their pax with visa questions to inquire of the visa agency they identify below. Perhaps contacting them (if you haven't already) with your question would be helfpul.

Some countries require that you obtain official authorization (called a visa) before entering the country. Usually a fee is required. You are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas. If you do not hold proper visa documents, you could be denied boarding without compensation. Guests who do not have the proper legal identification, visas and other required documents, will be denied boarding. Each guest’s nationality and status is unique. It is the guest’s responsibility to obtain any necessary legal documents for entry and exit to the countries visited.

For U.S. or Canadian citizens, if you have questions about visa requirements, you may call Zierer Visa Service (a CIBT Company) at 1-866-788-1100 or send an email message to: info@zvs.com or visit their website: www.zvs.com/home.aspx?login=75005

If they tell you that you don't need the visa, and you get that from them in writing, I would hope that document (and a copy of the above from HAL's web site) would be sufficient to get you on board your ship. If you can't rely on HAL's selected visa agency, what else are you supposed to do (particularly given the great lengths you have already gone thru)? I guess you could also call HAL, but it might not be easy to find someone who truly knows the answer....

Good luck! Sorry you have to experience this frustration before a cruise...

For Sanya, a normal Chinese visa (single or multi entry) is not required, what is required is a transit visa. Normally if you are a ship organised excursion the the transit visa is included in the price of the excursion, if you intend to do your own thing then you will have to apply for the transit visa, normally available onboard 24 hours before arrival.

BUT don't forget the above information is valid as of now, visa situations can change overnight. I always check with the country's embassy / consulate directly.

Also important is that your passport is valid for at least 6 months.

Ron

We cruised and travelled a lot in Asia. Cruising from Hong Kong to Sanya and Vietnam Visa for Sanya was not required. I know lot of people complained that they spent money for visa that was not required. For Vietnam was issued on board at a cost of $30. Mainland China you need visa. We arrived to Shanghai with single entry visa and were not allowed to disembark during our back to back cruise because we needed our single entry visa to end the cruise. Other passangers without any visa had to disembark during the cruise in Japan at their own expense to fly home because there is no transit in China vithout visa. Cambodia will issue visa on the spot. For Indonesia visa will be issued on board. India is as difficult as China. Need multiple entry visa if visiting more then one port. Visa need to be issued in the home country. In any case you will not be refused boarding if you dont have visa but will need to disembark at the last visa free port during the cruise.

Just because you do not want to get off the ship does not necessarily mean you do not need a Visa. Unlike flying many countries require you to have a Visa just to be in their Territorial waters. Also if you do not have the necessary Visas etc you may well be denied boarding by the Cruise Line.

Why Cruise lines persist in calling at Sanya is a puzzle as it is largely a non event, and Cruise lines would be better using the time at a port or additional port in Vietnam , or extra time in Hong Kong .

Thank you all for your responses. I was hoping to actually hear from those who disembarked at Sanya without a visa. Perhaps I still will. HAL did tell me that they would allow me to board without a visa. I still have plenty of time before I leave in January to decide what to do. Perhaps there will be some clarity before that time.

Archived