Flip Flop vs Sandal.., define please!

descovy

Haha,

I have never had such a wardrobe quandry. But this will be our first cruise, and it's not like I can go home and change!

We will be cruising NCL Spirit... For dinner in MDRs (and one night in the French restaurant) it seems that "Sandals" are okay, but flip flips are not (most likely wearing sun dresses)

Thing is, I have sandals that seem dressy but have a strap between the big & 2nd toe. Think black patent leather, strappy shoes.

Does the "toe piece" make them a flip flop? They aren't rubber soled, and they don't make that "flip-flop" sound when I walk.

I have the same type of dressy "thongs" if you will. I have worn them to the main dining room on Princess with nary a problem or sideward glance. I find that kind of sandal to the most comfortable and best fitting for me. I guess I was born with a little loop hole between my big toe and the next :-)

I really think the flip flop thing is referring to to the rubbery kind. Havaianas and their ilk. Those are very casual looking.

If you Google "flip flop definition" it says that a flip flop is a light sandal, typically of plastic or rubber, with a thong between the big and second toes. So....a flip flop is a TYPE of sandal.

Cruise lines came up with their rules a few years ago, before flip flops became popular as anything other than pool or beach wear. Believe it or not, a few years back there were no "dressy" flip-flop style shoes.

I'm sure you'll be fine with what you describe.

Haha,

I have never had such a wardrobe quandry. But this will be our first cruise, and it's not like I can go home and change!

We will be cruising NCL Spirit... For dinner in MDRs (and one night in the French restaurant) it seems that "Sandals" are okay, but flip flips are not (most likely wearing sun dresses)

Thing is, I have sandals that seem dressy but have a strap between the big & 2nd toe. Think black patent leather, strappy shoes.

Does the "toe piece" make them a flip flop? They aren't rubber soled, and they don't make that "flip-flop" sound when I walk.

dont worrry about it even if they do....flip-flop styles these days are not like the flip-flops of the old days rubber cheapies

i wear all types of flip-flop styles, sometimes its the ONLY thing i can wear in the evening and i have been on 9 NCL cruises eaten in every MDR on 4 different NCL ships and NEVER have been stopped or NEVER seen anyone turned away for wearing, besides they seem to stand out more on the MEN then women as we wear them these days with so many things

and specially on a cruise that RESORT CASUAL is excepted each and every nite at all the venues!!

GO ENJOY...be comfortable!!

I wore shower shoe flip flops when I was a kid but then abandoned them for decades, thinking that I couldn't wear them any more.

Then a couple of weeks ago, while searching for walking shoes for my upcoming Mediterranean cruise, I tried some on. They are terrific. What the heck was I thinking?

So, for my cruise I am taking some New Balance thong sandals for serious walking, some Skecher thong sandals (the style is called "Glitter") for on the ship and then some really cute sequined thong sandals, just for being cute. I will also take two pair of dance shoes, which I will only wear on the dance floor, and that's it.

So, long story short, I hope they love those flip flops, because that is all I will have. :D

Here is a picture of the sequined ones. They are soooooo adorable.

1984294342_summersandals.jpg.6348888f22917b5af34b7727c2de7227.jpg

I think we all have shoes that are kind of "in between" -- the shoe that's built like a flip-flop, but is made of leather, has a heel or jewels on the toe . . . sometimes it's hard to find the line between flip-flops and sandals. The material, the width of the straps, thickness of the sole . . . these things can change a shoe from a flip-flop into a full-fledged sandal.

Something I heard once about how to draw the distinction: Picture yourself part of a group dressed for a business meeting -- the men are in suits, you're in a business-appropriate outfit. Would your shoes look silly in this context? If so, they're flip-flops. If not, they're sandals. OR, to modify this for a cruise: Picture yourself in an elevator of people dressed for dinner. The men are wearing dress pants and shirts, the ladies are wearing nice dresses -- do your shoes fit into this setting, or do they look like you just left the pool?

I disagree with those who say flip-flops are JUST the plastic shoes that we all wore when we were kids. I see lots of shoes that're leather or nice fabric on top . . . but are still 100% casual flip-flop.

You certainly can't rely upon cost either. My daughter is currently begging for a specific pair of teal-colored Rainbow flip-flops, a style which is sold ONLY in the bookstore of the college she hopes to attend. Wow, the cost!

Archived