Has anyone used Stay123.com for hotel+cruise parking in NYC?

M0rrie

Hi - we are cruising out of NYC for the first time in September and are driving down from Canada. I have been looking at options for parking and found Stay123.com - a website where you can book a hotel that provides cruise parking for free with a minimum 1 night stay.

My cruise is on the Jewel from 10th to the 17th.. so the cost to us will be $125 (plus taxes) for the hotel and then $60 each way for the ride to and from the cruise terminal.

This sounds like a good deal.. but I am worried that it might either be a scam or there is some kind of a downside that I am missing. :confused:

Has anyone heard of or used this service for "park & cruise"in NYC before?

I have not used them for NYC, but did book with them for use at Baltimore. It worked out perfectly. I had a hotel with a shuttle to the pier, but $60 each way in NYC sounds reasonable. I found them to be reputable, easy to reach on telephone with questions, so I would recommend them.

K

I recommend trinityreservations.com all the time at Newark Airport. They quote a price that is tax included whereas stay123 quotes a lower base price and then adds the taxes, which often makes them more expensive.

I believe the Jewel sails out of Manhattan, right? Are you looking at Newark or JFK airport? JFK hotels have not been popular on this board - folks who have experience with them don't like them at all for a variety of reasons. However, I'm assuming the $125 price you quote is for Newark - that's $144 with taxes. Trinity is less expensive - the Fairfield is $122 including tax for Sept 9. Springhill Suites is $129 and the Wyndham is $138. Breakfast is included at the Fairfield and Springhill.

I did the park/sleep/cruise thing at the Fairfield last Feb. and was very happy with it. I will do it again next Feb and have no hesitation recommending it. Several of us from CC left our cars here for 12 days and there were no issues.

Having said all that, you must understand some things about the Newark Airport hotels - they tend to be in isolated enclaves with absolutely nothing around. Many hotels offer breakfast, but have no restaurant, but do have "takeout" menus. The Fairfield and Springhill are in this category, but the Marriott Courtyard next door does have some food service. Since you will have a car, you can drive into the Ironbound District of Newark to one of the restaurants or you can go over to Jersey Gardens Mall at exit 13a where there is a Ruby Tuesday's, an IHOP, and a food court in the mall.

The other thing to know about any Newark Airport hotel is that you should print out a map and detailed directions - GPS is not always right in this area. If you miss your turn, you can end up circling around trying to get to a hotel that you can actually see.

• 3 years later...

We used Stay123 for our park and cruise this year and it worked out fine; their prices are very good. New York is a special case, if you don't already know this; shuttles cannot get anywhere near the cruise port and cabs are so expensive - with no guarantee you will snag one on time. When our son went to NYU, he told us about car service, which is a real money saver vs. a taxi. You just have to look them up in advance ('manhattan car service' in the search bar will do it) and call around for the best price quotes, but basically the car comes to pick you up and its usually nicer than a cab. Hope this is helpful!

If you are coming through NY anywhere near Albany, there is a great bus service available out of that area. It is called Yankee Trails Bus. They leave the Albany area around 7 AM on the day of the cruise and drop you off right at the Manhattan Pier. On the day you return, they are there to pick you up and take you back to Albany. You can park in their lot for free. I believe the service is about $80 a person. My DD and I used it about three years ago. We drove to Albany and stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, which is about one mile from the bus station. We got up in the AM, stopped at McDonald's for a quick breakfast because the hotel breakfast did not start until 7 AM, and drove to the parking lot. It worked out great. I would highly recommend their service.