Haines ideas?

birdie16

We are looking for something to do in Haines that will not cost too much (under $60 each). Does anyone know of any good tours to book outside the cruise line? Area hikes you can do from near the ship?

Thanks!

We are looking for something to do in Haines that will not cost too much (under $60 each). Does anyone know of any good tours to book outside the cruise line? Area hikes you can do from near the ship?

Thanks!

Assuming there's at least two in your group, you could rent a car and go hiking for free.

Haines has a limited amount of options; it's not a big cruise port.

I too would recommend a car rental. Also the float trips are excellent for scenery.

There is a small interesting museum in town, and a wildlife exhibit area, fort etc. that would be walkable.

:confused: Going to Haines on ms. Statendam will be in port from 6:30am to 9:00pm. I am trying to book a saltwater Salmon or Halibut trip or a Floatplane tour. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much for all the help.

:confused: Going to Haines on ms. Statendam will be in port from 6:30am to 9:00pm. I am trying to book a saltwater Salmon or Halibut trip or a Floatplane tour. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much for all the help.

I don't know of any floatplane scheduled tours in Haines, fixed wing is what I am familiar with and have gone on. There is excellent flightseeing out of Haines. Verify the fishing out of Haines. halibut would have to be on trip toward Icy Strait.

Ok thanks for the info. I did talk with Driftwood charters out of haines they seemed very knowledgeable. We might book with them. If we do I will report back later in July with the results.

We are considering the a bicycle trip with Sockeye Cycling Co. Anyone done that before? Good? Bad?

Out of Haines?? It would be very good, in my opinion. :) The area is excellent for a bike ride, little traffic, beautiful scenery, and by bike the chance to get a distance, but still superior to a fast moving car.

I would however, verify the cancelation policies. Most tours run rain or shine- and this is a far lessor experience in cold rain. :) Another option would be to just get walk up bike rentals with good weather. No chance on getting "lost" and with some prior prep work could offer an excellent day. Request their visitor guide.

We are considering the a bicycle trip with Sockeye Cycling Co. Anyone done that before? Good? Bad?

We enjoyed walking around town and then renting bikes and riding out of town up along the shore. Riding back down along the shore past the dock was on my plan but we ended up not doing that part. I think that way was a little less hilly and led to a park with some trails, too. Read up on what choices there are for the ride. The bike place suggested the way we went and that was what the hubby went with.

We really enjoyed the quiet charm of Haines compared to the crazy busy that you get in the other ports.

Archived