Questions for the ladies

frogsgirl

Hello ladies

We will be travelling on Eclipse next year and I've been on the X website trying to find information on hair and beauty treatments. I can see information about massages & facials but not things like hair, makeup manicures/pedicures etc.

I wondered if anyone of you experienced the hair salon and could share your expericence positive or negative?

Would you be able to give me a list of services provided?

Do they provide services for acrylic nails?

Thanks very much in advance :)

If you created a my celebrity log in, there should be a little link to the brochure online in the upper right corner, I believe. When I was last on the Eclipse they did not do acrylics, but did do hair, and specialty manis/pedis (like hot rocks, etc).

BUT, on the Mercury they did do acrylics. So I'm not positive if that was an upgrade, or something just leftover on an older ship.

I'd had my hair cut before our TA cruise last year, and in our pre-cruise week, it drove me CRAZY. (Not my usual hairdresser as she was on her hols.) Anyway, I was desperate enough to use the Steiner salon on Connie ... braced myself for hard sell and big expense, but I figured that anything had to be better than the haircut I was putting up with.

Went to the salon, explained my problem and they booked me right away. I could have had it done right then, but I decided I'd put up with my mess until dress-up night. Didn't ask the price ... it just HAD to be done.

Hairdresser was sweet, really wonderful! She spent a lot of time listening to me complain ;) and then we went to work. I walked out with an excellent cut, plus a few little freebie treats. No hard product sell. And the price? About the same as I would have paid at home.

It was a totally self-indulgent treat. (Not my usual style!) I'm even thinking that another time I may skip the pre-cruise hair appointment and just have it done on the ship. Loved it.

If you created a my celebrity log in, there should be a little link to the brochure online in the upper right corner, I believe. When I was last on the Eclipse they did not do acrylics, but did do hair, and specialty manis/pedis (like hot rocks, etc).

BUT, on the Mercury they did do acrylics. So I'm not positive if that was an upgrade, or something just leftover on an older ship.

Thanks for the tip 2SeaWithMe, my fella created the log in and has forgotten the username (emailed for a reset and awaiting the response). I normally have all this done before I go and will be doing next June but we have a large OBC and no offspring travelling this time so you know how it is, just planning a few treats:D

I'd had my hair cut before our TA cruise last year, and in our pre-cruise week, it drove me CRAZY. (Not my usual hairdresser as she was on her hols.) Anyway, I was desperate enough to use the Steiner salon on Connie ... braced myself for hard sell and big expense, but I figured that anything had to be better than the haircut I was putting up with.

Went to the salon, explained my problem and they booked me right away. I could have had it done right then, but I decided I'd put up with my mess until dress-up night. Didn't ask the price ... it just HAD to be done.

Hairdresser was sweet, really wonderful! She spent a lot of time listening to me complain ;) and then we went to work. I walked out with an excellent cut, plus a few little freebie treats. No hard product sell. And the price? About the same as I would have paid at home.

It was a totally self-indulgent treat. (Not my usual style!) I'm even thinking that another time I may skip the pre-cruise hair appointment and just have it done on the ship. Loved it.

Thanks Seenie, I know the feeling of hair not feeling right. It's not a complete disaster as things go but still gets you off on the wrong foot. Glad to hear no hard sell, it kinda puts me off.

I had a poor experience on formal night on Princess, came out of the salon looking like I had been on the bow of the ship in a force 9 :eek:, my husband and son were giving me odd looks all night & I couldn't wait to get back to the cabin and brush out "the do".:)

Thanks Seenie, I know the feeling of hair not feeling right. It's not a complete disaster as things go but still gets you off on the wrong foot. Glad to hear no hard sell, it kinda puts me off.

I had a poor experience on formal night on Princess, came out of the salon looking like I had been on the bow of the ship in a force 9 :eek:, my husband and son were giving me odd looks all night & I couldn't wait to get back to the cabin and brush out "the do".:)

Hope you can laugh about it now, Frogsgirl, not very funny when it happens:D

I always get my hair done on ships, just for the fun of it. It is more costly but its a special treat.

I had my hair blow dried last time I cruised with RCI (salons also run by Steiner). I have a sharp bob - wanted it straight, sleek...the stylist said 'with some volume' and I said 'no...straight, sharp, edgy' but it still ended up a bit like an American news presenter. I should have taken a photo of how my normal stylist does it. It was ok, but not what I wanted. They didn't do makeup.

Hope you can laugh about it now, Frogsgirl, not very funny when it happens:D

I always get my hair done on ships, just for the fun of it. It is more costly but its a special treat.

Yes I did laugh, so did my fella, kept laughing & reminding me all the time throughout the remainder of the cruise.....however I had the last laugh when he got the bill on the last evening, looked a bit like this:eek:.... :D

I had my hair blow dried last time I cruised with RCI (salons also run by Steiner). I have a sharp bob - wanted it straight, sleek...the stylist said 'with some volume' and I said 'no...straight, sharp, edgy' but it still ended up a bit like an American news presenter. I should have taken a photo of how my normal stylist does it. It was ok, but not what I wanted. They didn't do makeup.

Sounds like my experience on Princess.....:D

I'm glad you had a good experience--I have found the services to be very overpriced, and not very good. I remember a pedicure I paid $40-$50 for that basically changed the color of my nail polish! Very very basic and the girl seemed totally disengaged. I have had other similar experiences--so I have given up going! Maybe things have changed and I should give them another chance. . .

Was on the Eclipse Jan 2011 -- wanted a facial -- never had one onboard. The first day, I asked the prices, was directed to a price list on the counter. I asked what the price would be on a port day when I know from experience the prices are much lower, sometimes 2 treatments for the price of one, etc. That's the price -- in other words, prices are the same. NOT. Sure enough, in the dailies there were lots of discounts for spa treatments on port days especially -- so I booked nothing on principle. I guess it all depends on which employee answers your questions. But on my next cruise (unless we win the lottery & it doesn't matter), I'll watch prices carefully.

I have used their nail services and I was beyond happy with it. In fact, it was cheaper than some places at home. I would use them again in heartbeat.:D:D:D:D

(and they do acrylic nails - I did not use the service as I do not wear them, but saw them in the brochure)

Thanks for the tip 2SeaWithMe, my fella created the log in and has forgotten the username (emailed for a reset and awaiting the response). I normally have all this done before I go and will be doing next June but we have a large OBC and no offspring travelling this time so you know how it is, just planning a few treats:D

Use it or lose it - get those treats booked! ;)

There are lots of lovely looking 'rituals' including some for the hands and feet. I was planning a nice mani-pedi before I left for my cruise, but now I have broken my ankle :mad: and if i am really lucky will only get to lose my stormtrooper boot just before we fly. So I might be forced, yes forced, to have a pedi on the ship :D. Might give the hair salon another chance if they have any slots free. Having my hair cut just before we go, so will get photos and say make it look like this! (not like Hilary Clinton during her hubby's presidency)

I have used their nail services and I was beyond happy with it. In fact, it was cheaper than some places at home. I would use them again in heartbeat.:D:D:D:D

(and they do acrylic nails - I did not use the service as I do not wear them, but saw them in the brochure)

Great to hear that Sabbycat, just thinking of repairs more than anything, I can be a little heavy handed when lifting those cocktail glasses ;)

Was on the Eclipse Jan 2011 -- wanted a facial -- never had one onboard. The first day, I asked the prices, was directed to a price list on the counter. I asked what the price would be on a port day when I know from experience the prices are much lower, sometimes 2 treatments for the price of one, etc. That's the price -- in other words, prices are the same. NOT. Sure enough, in the dailies there were lots of discounts for spa treatments on port days especially -- so I booked nothing on principle. I guess it all depends on which employee answers your questions. But on my next cruise (unless we win the lottery & it doesn't matter), I'll watch prices carefully.

Oh dear, I deliberately didn't ask about £££££, I'm a bit of an ostrich when it comes to that, thanks for the warning though, I'll make sure I hide the price list from the old fella:D

Use it or lose it - get those treats booked! ;)

There are lots of lovely looking 'rituals' including some for the hands and feet. I was planning a nice mani-pedi before I left for my cruise, but now I have broken my ankle :mad: and if i am really lucky will only get to lose my stormtrooper boot just before we fly. So I might be forced, yes forced, to have a pedi on the ship :D. Might give the hair salon another chance if they have any slots free. Having my hair cut just before we go, so will get photos and say make it look like this! (not like Hilary Clinton during her hubby's presidency)

Yes get those tootsies treated, hope your ankle is in good working order for the cruise, you know you will be frowned upon by the clothing police because storm trooper boots are not accepted on any formal nights, broken ankle no excuse!;)

I sprained my ankle really badly before our Baltic cruise and by about day 4 it was really sore from all the walking. They had a "sample" day of treatments on deck where they were doing mini treats (basically a way to tempt you into the salon) and I had them look at my foot. When I explained that my ankle was giving me problems and was still swollen she took me into the salon and put some lotions on it and gently massaged it - all free. She suggested I book in a pedicure the next day and she would work on it some more, but it was not a hard sell. I did just that and she spent a lot of time massaging it to bring down the swelling and put some cooling lotion on it which really helped. I can't remember what the price was but it was not outragous. She showed which lotions she used but there was no hard sell.

Frankie

My husband and I went and had massage treatments on one of our at sea days on the Infinity, and I told him, buy nothing! I know they always try to sell you more treatments or their stuff. And he just can't say NO! :D

When I was done I went to the pool to wait for him. An hour after I was done, here he came walking up with a bag in his hand!! Poor guy, they talked him into buying an extra treatment, and 3 different lotions and oils they thought he needed! And extra $500.00! I took his little bag and marched right back to the desk and told them I wanted to return the stuff they sold him. They argued with me for a bit, and I told her that my husband is not authorized to purchase anything without my permission! :D They did finally refund all he purchased, but not for the extra treatment he really did not need...!:)

I really hate the hard sales...!

I sprained my ankle really badly before our Baltic cruise and by about day 4 it was really sore from all the walking. They had a "sample" day of treatments on deck where they were doing mini treats (basically a way to tempt you into the salon) and I had them look at my foot. When I explained that my ankle was giving me problems and was still swollen she took me into the salon and put some lotions on it and gently massaged it - all free. She suggested I book in a pedicure the next day and she would work on it some more, but it was not a hard sell. I did just that and she spent a lot of time massaging it to bring down the swelling and put some cooling lotion on it which really helped. I can't remember what the price was but it was not outragous. She showed which lotions she used but there was no hard sell.

Frankie

Thanks Frankie - that sounds lovely! She must have been quite gentle too. As long as the ortho tells me the fracture has healed OK, it sounds like a pedicure with some foot massage might be very therapeutic. :) (Mind you, I often find spending money on treats very therapeutic ;))

Hi everyone

Do guests staying in Aqua class staterooms receive discounts on any of the spa treatments? My DH and I are booked in Aqua class on the Eclipse and I may want to take advantage of the spa onboard, but only if the prices are not overly expensive. Also, how are the staff when it comes to pushing to sell their products on you. I had a facial done on one of my past cruises. The facial was a great experience, but I was also shocked at how hard the were pushing me to buy $200 worth of face creams I don't use.

I wish I remembered the name of the stylist that I used on Constellation. She was amazing. She actually did a better job than my stylist at home.

The prices are high, but after I got a few compliments, I forgot about it. Besides, I was using a big OBC to help pay for it.

I have been in Aqua Class once and don't recall having any discounts

for Spa Treatments. As for hard selling their products? I tell them

up front (in a nice way) if I am there for a massage (for example) that

I am NOT interested in buying any products. They usually respect what

I have said an don't try to sell me anything. If they start to try and

and sell you something? Just tell them you are not interested and

thanks anyway. If that doesn't work? Well, be assertive;)

Last fall I got the Frangipani hot oil hair treatment. It was inexpensive and had I planned better, it gave me access to the Persian gardens for the day. I didn't take full advantage because my husband and I had made plans.

On Constellation I had such a good haircut that the next time I was on board her, I found the same hairdresser and did it again. I wish I remembered her name. She was a lovely English young woman.

I live in NY so the prices are quite reasonable compared to NY City.

But compared to my aunt's hometown where a haircut is $15 they are much more. I wish massages were less though. That is one treat I would love give myself, but they are more than NY City. I can get a good massage for $60.

Archived