REAL TIME NCL Sun, PreCruise

LordWinston

Hello Fellow Cruise Passengers!

~I am writing you Sunday evening from the Marriott Hotel in Copenhagen. I wanted to leave you with a few bullets of info in case you are headed this way in the future. I hope this is helpful for you!

Okay - -

Iceland Air -- We took Iceland Air from Boston through Iceleand to Copenhagen. We were worried that the flights would be disrupted or cancelled, not because of the volacano, but because of a mechanics strike. We were okay, but as of Friday, the mechanics were saying that if there was no agreement in 10 days, they would call for a full strike which I believe would shut down the airline. We have travel insurance, so that takes away some of this stress, but if this makes you anxious, perhaps a differnet airline is for you.

~Iceland Air - We took the economy. Everything is a la carte -- sandwiches run about $8-9 dollars. You can bring on your own food if you want to save money. Overall, both flights had excellent flight attendants. (You've gotta love their perfectly taylored suits, hair buns and braids and flawless/fresh makeup! lol!) The seats were one step above concrete bench for comfort however. Bring something for cushion if you are sensitive to sitting on a rock hard seat for five hours at a time.

-- Taxi to Marriott in Copenhagen -- Yes, they take Visa. The cost is approximately $50 dollars (which is paid in Dkk's) *** Vendors here love to ask you for your VISA pin number. Find out what that is in advance. They prefer this to leaving a signature.

-- Marriott Copenhagen -- Okay, I admit it, I read an earlier post about this hotel going for a scant $105 on Priceline. Way back last Fall, I punched in that price and it worked. The hotel is beautiful, clean, has American ammenities: read, regular sized bathroom. The check in is at 4pm.

If you get to the hotel earlier, they will try to accommodate you. But be prepared to do some sight seeing. ~(You can buy tickets to a boat tour from the concierge that lasts about an hour and ten minutes to kill time if you don't want to walk. ) They wer so kind to let us use the showers in the health club to freshen up before our rooms were ready. You can upgrade to Executive floor level for about $100 per room. (We also have free computer access with this upgrade)

This seemed to be a better deal for us. Breakfast buffet at the hotel runs about $40 per person. Tonight during happy hour (which starts af 5:30pm) they served - -Chicken wings, fried onion rings, small creme puff orderves with caviar, olives, chips, mini shrimp salads in shot glasses. Beer and wine were free. Waters and juices and soft drinks were free too. They even had hard liquoir out as well. Seeing that water bottles in the lobby run $4 a piece, it seems like the better deal to get the upgrade if you plan on having two or more meals at the hotel.

We got into our room after 2pm. So beware. ~If you are a smoker, you will get in earlier, because those rooms are less popular.

CREDIT CARD Note: I was reading on Rick Steves or someplace that vendors will ask you whether you want to pay in local currency or dollars on your VISA. If I recall, the choice to make it go for the local currency because you will be charged the rate of the day versus what the vendor may select as the dollar price. So the local currency price should be lower. *** fellow travelers, please double check my reasoning on this just in case.

Water Boat Tour: It ran under $20. We liked it because it gave us a good overview of the city and we didn't have to walk a lot. It was pretty, fun and moderately informative. They let you get off in the hub of stuff and take the tour boat back too if you feel more adventurous.

Tivoli: This is the amusement park that started it all, and I have to say tonight, magic was in the air! You can buy a couple of different plans -- walk around costs 75 dkk and I think the rides included was 145 or so. The exchange rate is about 1:5 (one dollar for 5 dkk, I believe. Please correct me if this is wrong.~) I loved Tivoli. #You can see how Disney used it as the model for his first Magic Kingdom. It is small, but layered with ecclectic attractions and styles of architecture: Moorish, Chinese, Art Neauveau. (Sorry for the lousy spelling!) New rides mix with old classics. (Yes, they have bumper cars!)

Whole families go there in the evening. And everyone is eating icecream. ~(About $5 for an average three scoop cone/cup) The gardens here are small, but well kept and beautiful. They tie together all the ecclectic styles. The lights come on but the sky is still bright at night. I'm going back in a second to see it one last time. Park closes at 11pm.

Okay -- I hope this has some useful information!!! Sorry for my lousy spelling, but no time to check.

Best wishes to you all!

We board the Sun tommorrow -- I probably won't post until after the cruise.

~Alan

Your info was helpful. I wonder what the embarkation will be like? I've done carnival 3 times and arriving early works great there. How about for ncl? When are the cabins ready? And what is the muster drill like?

~I am writing you Sunday evening from the Marriott Hotel in Copenhagen. I wanted to leave you with a few bullets of info in case you are headed this way in the future. I hope this is helpful for you!

Okay - -

Iceland Air -- We took Iceland Air from Boston through Iceleand to Copenhagen. We were worried that the flights would be disrupted or cancelled, not because of the volacano, but because of a mechanics strike. We were okay, but as of Friday, the mechanics were saying that if there was no agreement in 10 days, they would call for a full strike which I believe would shut down the airline. We have travel insurance, so that takes away some of this stress, but if this makes you anxious, perhaps a differnet airline is for you.

~Iceland Air - We took the economy. Everything is a la carte -- sandwiches run about $8-9 dollars. You can bring on your own food if you want to save money. Overall, both flights had excellent flight attendants. (You've gotta love their perfectly taylored suits, hair buns and braids and flawless/fresh makeup! lol!) The seats were one step above concrete bench for comfort however. Bring something for cushion if you are sensitive to sitting on a rock hard seat for five hours at a time.

-- Taxi to Marriott in Copenhagen -- Yes, they take Visa. The cost is approximately $50 dollars (which is paid in Dkk's) *** Vendors here love to ask you for your VISA pin number. Find out what that is in advance. They prefer this to leaving a signature.

-- Marriott Copenhagen -- Okay, I admit it, I read an earlier post about this hotel going for a scant $105 on Priceline. Way back last Fall, I punched in that price and it worked. The hotel is beautiful, clean, has American ammenities: read, regular sized bathroom. The check in is at 4pm.

If you get to the hotel earlier, they will try to accommodate you. But be prepared to do some sight seeing. ~(You can buy tickets to a boat tour from the concierge that lasts about an hour and ten minutes to kill time if you don't want to walk. ) They wer so kind to let us use the showers in the health club to freshen up before our rooms were ready. You can upgrade to Executive floor level for about $100 per room. (We also have free computer access with this upgrade)

This seemed to be a better deal for us. Breakfast buffet at the hotel runs about $40 per person. Tonight during happy hour (which starts af 5:30pm) they served - -Chicken wings, fried onion rings, small creme puff orderves with caviar, olives, chips, mini shrimp salads in shot glasses. Beer and wine were free. Waters and juices and soft drinks were free too. They even had hard liquoir out as well. Seeing that water bottles in the lobby run $4 a piece, it seems like the better deal to get the upgrade if you plan on having two or more meals at the hotel.

We got into our room after 2pm. So beware. ~If you are a smoker, you will get in earlier, because those rooms are less popular.

CREDIT CARD Note: I was reading on Rick Steves or someplace that vendors will ask you whether you want to pay in local currency or dollars on your VISA. If I recall, the choice to make it go for the local currency because you will be charged the rate of the day versus what the vendor may select as the dollar price. So the local currency price should be lower. *** fellow travelers, please double check my reasoning on this just in case.

Water Boat Tour: It ran under $20. We liked it because it gave us a good overview of the city and we didn't have to walk a lot. It was pretty, fun and moderately informative. They let you get off in the hub of stuff and take the tour boat back too if you feel more adventurous.

Tivoli: This is the amusement park that started it all, and I have to say tonight, magic was in the air! You can buy a couple of different plans -- walk around costs 75 dkk and I think the rides included was 145 or so. The exchange rate is about 1:5 (one dollar for 5 dkk, I believe. Please correct me if this is wrong.~) I loved Tivoli. #You can see how Disney used it as the model for his first Magic Kingdom. It is small, but layered with ecclectic attractions and styles of architecture: Moorish, Chinese, Art Neauveau. (Sorry for the lousy spelling!) New rides mix with old classics. (Yes, they have bumper cars!)

Whole families go there in the evening. And everyone is eating icecream. ~(About $5 for an average three scoop cone/cup) The gardens here are small, but well kept and beautiful. They tie together all the ecclectic styles. The lights come on but the sky is still bright at night. I'm going back in a second to see it one last time. Park closes at 11pm.

Okay -- I hope this has some useful information!!! Sorry for my lousy spelling, but no time to check.

Best wishes to you all!

~Alan

Thank you - your post is most helpful, especially since we're staying at the Copenhagen Marriott.

Okay - -

Best wishes to you all!

~Alan

Hi Alan: We are also flying Icelandae from Boston. I noticed that carryon baggage can not exceed 13lbs for economy. Did they check the weight of your bags? We are sailing 6/22/11

Thanks

Dave

Archived