Hiking boots needed for glacier excursion?

Tomato53

We have booked an excursion in Juneau through the cruise line (Celebrity) that is described as "helicopter glacier walkabout". It has ~ 1 hour walk on a glacier.

We were planning on bringing our good hiking boots but this is the only time on the trip that we would need them. We'd rather not pack the extra weight/bulk if they're not needed.

I've seen that some of the privately booked similar excursions say that footwear is provided. Celebrity's info does not address this.

Does anyone know whether all of this type excursion would include footwear? Would wearing sneakers leave us ridiculously unprepared?

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

I've done a glacier hike and I can't imagine trying to walk around on the solid ice with regular hiking boot soles. :eek: The glacier tour companies provide special boots that you will put on over your shoes. Just wear regular athletic shoes and you'll be fine.

If Celebrity phone rep doesn't know, call up the helicopter tour companies and ask if they service Celebrity. Shouldn't be a company secret that they can't divulge. There are not that many heli companies, however I don't know if they use any one company exclusively.

5 years ago we did a 1 hour walk on a Princess cruise. The helicopter company Northstar provided jackets, pants, and boots. Once we landed we put crampons on the bottom of the boots.

crampons: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=980&bih=551&q=crampons&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

We did the extended version of this in Juneau three weeks ago. You do not need anything for this. The extended folks get issued boots that the crampons attach to. Similar in comfort level to a snowboard boot, or slightly better than a ski boot.

The walkabout people we saw were wearing a hybrid shoe they were issued that went over their regular shoes.

You could do either one in tennis shoes.

Thanks to all for your input!

I was able to confirm that they will provide wind-proof outerwear, boots and gloves. On the trek portion, there will be trekking poles and crampons.

This will help lighten what we need to pack.

This should be a great experience; we're really looking forward to it.

Archived