Great Lakes Cruises

Bring your Dramamine. Lake Michigan is the worst of the Great Lakes in terms of being rough. I lived in that area most if my life and can say it's a tough lake to sail. And seeing you'll be on a very small boat, you're going to really feel the water.

All of the Great Lakes can easily get very rough. I live 10 miles south of Lake Ontario and depending on the water level and wind direction, can be tricky to boat/sail. Lake Michigan is HUGE and can get waves accordingly. Cargo ships have sunk on all of the Great Lakes at one time or the other. Anyway, a small motor boat with shore in sight is fine for me, but you wouldn't catch me on a small cruise line out in the middle of any of the Great Lakes. Just MHO.

For the most part, they don't go tooling around the middle of the lakes, as they are going from one port to the next along the shoreline. And just like ocean cruises, they can and do change itineraries based on weather conditions. I also live in the middle of 3 of the lakes, and while we are always hearing about people (3 this past week unfortunately) dying due to their boats going over, but I can't recall the last time I heard of any commercial accidents.

Archived