If you could change anything about Carnival?

DZNYROX

I am one that tends to agree with letting people into the MDR in shorts, workout pants and sleeveless T's, and so forth. Also, on the Destiny last August there were people that were coming in at 6:30-6:45 for early seating. Close the doors say 15 minutes after the start time. It screwed up our waiter on 3 of 4 nights, which in turn slowed our dinner way down. If you don't want to dress for dinner, go to the Lido buffet. A pair of khaki's and polo shirt are not too much to ask. My husband always takes 2 pairs of pants for a 7 day cruise. He only wears them for maybe 2 hours tops. Same with me, actually only take one pair of black dress pants and lots of tops and a dress for Elegant night.

I agree with those addressing the management and the attitude of Gerry Cahill.

He reminds me of a past Disneyland CEO named Paul Pressler who ruled in the 90's and nearly let Disneyland turn to dust. It was a sad thing to witness at the time for people who loved the park. Make your money and profit yes, but you do have to keep the confidence of the customers or you will lose them.

Word for word you can read the same rants against NCL and RCL on their CC boards, especially about upper management.

Not saying everything is perfect but I like relatively cheap cruises.

If I want to spend more I can migrate upward to the higher end cruise brands, including those owned by CCL.

Given how much fuel costs have risen in the last decade or two, I am impressed with how cruise lines have managed their costs.

Since I am obliged to respond to the thread, I wish Carnival would work with airlines to bundle air & cruise deals.

It pisses me off to pay more for air then the cruise itself.

The question is what can all of the major cruise lines do to improve? I've been on NCL, RCI, and Carnival...times have changed on all of them!! They could all increase the fair and bring back the quality.

The loyalty program. I have been hearing rumours about a revamp to the program for a while now...still waiting :rolleyes:

I would also increase some of the perks for suite passengers. For what they are charging, they could throw in a few things aside from priority embarkation and debarkation.

I only cruise once a year because of work. I think if I cruises numerous time a year I would explore different ships. to much of anything isn't good . I just appreciate the fact that I can cruise and I try to make the best of it. I did a cruise to nowhere with NCL and I thought it was no comparison to CCL.

Word for word you can read the same rants against NCL and RCL on their CC boards, especially about upper management.

Yes, the grass is always greener...

(especially on the top deck of Solstice class ships!) :D

i-WZrsMF3-M.jpg

Tom

Lucy I am totally with you! I will never do an early saver again. It just doesn't leave room for any changes and it's not that big a savings to lose the ability to make changes!

BUT what will totally drive me away from Carnival is the single supplement. I will find a cruise line that doesn't gouge me from being a single traveler! :(

I wish Carnival would...

#1- ... do something about the chair-hogs around the pools. The sign on the bigscreen isn't cutting it. It's not fair for folks to come out and drop their stuff on a chair(s) and not come back until hours later when there are passengers that really want to use the chairs then and there.

#2- ..... have a better booking procedure for those who truely need Handicapped cabins and not book them so freely to folks that just desire them to have an extra long balcony or a better location on the ship. If there are some HC cabins left close to sail time then Carnival should use these as the Guarantee Cabins thus still allowing a hanicapped person to book on up to the end. Some folks that book Guarantee do not get their cabin assignment until last minute anyways so it really wouldn't be an issue.

#1 is one of the reasons I will give up cruising on any lines if the management and staff don't get up the nerve to remove peoples belongings adhere to their own policy. I for one don't go on vacation so I can get up at 6am yes 6am to save chairs. I don't expect poolside at 9am but I do expect a vacant chair or two.

I feel they should release the new loyalty program, whatever that my be . . .

I agree 100%---John Heald has been saying for over 2 years now they are going to re-vamp the loyalty program----yeah right.

If I were actually counting (:p), I'd say it's been exactly 2 years, 7 months, and 3 days [aka 945 days], since one pinhead executive at Miami corporate has been leading John Heald and others to believe "change is coming soon" to a loyalty program.

Speaking of CCL top executives . . . they were all at the game last night. I wonder if they had a good time.

Yes, there have been some changes....

to date, they have not affected me.

The "orchestra" that is now a stage band has always just been a filler for accompaniment tracks for the shows. Only the size changed....

the food is fine for the price...

I don't care if the reggie band is two people or 12, I never listen to them.

While I still pleased with the product, IF I could change one thing...it would be the clientele. Because Carnival is so inexpensive, it tends to draw the CHEAP...and there is a difference.

I prefer not to sail with folks that would not understand "cruising for dummies" if it was read to them ...

I was not aware that looking for a deal made me CHEAP, I always thought it was being frugal and managing a budget.

Oh well,

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time.

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the reduction in both quality and quantity of live entertainment. I wish they would reverse that trend and hire more (and better) musicians.

Blame the new management for those.....;)

Add some longer loop cruises from the East Coast... NY, Baltimore or even Florida, 12-14 day itineraries. 7 day cruises are just too short.

Turn off the loud music in the Serenity area...nice spa-type soothing music or nothing at all would be fine. I can't even read a book it is so obtrusive. Serenity = peace.

I personally would change the fact that they make me get off :D

Seriously though I think that there can be tweeks here or there and it seems like some changes are in progress. One change I think they should look at is the picture system. Instead of wasting lots of fine ink (I read some where that they re-use the paper that is not bought) that they could be sold in a digital format, whatever that may be.

Add some longer loop cruises from the East Coast... NY, Baltimore or even Florida, 12-14 day itineraries. 7 day cruises are just too short.

Turn off the loud music in the Serenity area...nice spa-type soothing music or nothing at all would be fine. I can't even read a book it is so obtrusive. Serenity = peace.

I have always thought a 9 day and 5 day schedule would be great but Carnival has tried longer schedules but on a very limited basis. Other lines though offer them and some are at very good rates...

Did a B2B on the Destiny for 9 nights eastern and western and loved it. Have done 10 and 11 nighters on Celebrity and HAL. They were great.....

Edited by jessemon

Speaking of CCL top executives . . . they were all at the game last night. I wonder if they had a good time.

:D

I was not aware that looking for a deal made me CHEAP, I always thought it was being frugal and managing a budget.

Oh well,

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time.

Knowing LHP well (sailed with her a few times), I know what she meant - though at the same time, when I read it, I knew that some people would misinterpret her comment. I am sure she'll come along and explain where she was coming from. It CERTAINLY was not a blanket statement saying that "people who sail Carnival are cheap" - trust me! :)

Tom

I would love to see better food, better quality of entertainment, cheaper services..... But it will NOT happen

CCL has morphed into a mega cruising machine throughout the last decade.

Carnival is their Mass market (AKA budget) unit targeted to families and wants to dominate the first, second time cruisers. Their model has been to sell the rooms cheap, sail at 100% occupancy and make money thru products served on the ship. This model is well documented . Its very successful and its why if you look at all the budget lines I would submit they have all the same issues . They are a bit different as they are at different points as they march to this successful model. Each has a different spin but each trying to get there.

The food in the mdr certainly has lost quality , the bands have been replaced with less musicians and more technology, the shows well they have cut back ..the atmosphere is much more casual .. if you look at it its all targeted to the lower end of the cruising spectrum. Offer lower end food and if people want something better charge them in specialty shops.

Solo cruisers.. their not interested even at 200% cause two people do spend more than one ( remember their model). NCL is targeting the solo’s… once they get a larger footprint that will change too!

Platinum cruisers.. well if you think about it ..why give more attention to their old model/customer base , if they are looking to sell more drinks, pictures , excursions and such… does the average platinum spend as much on the ship as a newbie?

One poster talked about going back to the 70’s or 80’s.. not going to happen . not with their model.

Im not saying I agree with all this at all , its just the way it is.

There are so many options out there with lines jockeying for customers..

Look at celebrity… used to be a much older customer set… that is changing , food is a better quality , there customer base is much different but so are their pricesThe market will dictate where the lines will go.. if there is a large set of people who wants something and be willing to pay for it will happen.

For now when a group of friends, family want to get away on the cheap or are very budget focused we select carnival.. we know what to expect ,what we will get and where its going.. on our last cruise about 40% of our group ate in the steakhouse most of the time… its all good.. the other 60 at in the MDR and its all good too.

We ( the wife and I ) just booked a really high end cruise, spending crazy money on it.. of course it will be different , could my kids afford it? No . If they continue with their passion for cruising , im sure that there tastes will change, along with their budgets .. So many options to have a great time..