Diversions...Has your cruise ever dirverted

gregg204

Being from southeast Louisiana, I am a little too familiar with tropical systems. I also know that Aug. and Sept. are the peak season for these storms but they still can develop in mid July (when I cruise). Looking for anyone who might have any stories for me where their cruise had to divert from the scheduled port for weather related reasons...did you stay at sea or maybe go to another port? Thanks in advance.

Your weather is our weather. We're from Texas and sail from Galveston frequently.

Last year we sailed on the Conquest in October and missed two ports for a tropical storm. Two extra sea days. We did a seven day cruise to Cozumel.

It's difficult and often impossible to divert to another port. Most ports will be at capacity and often there won't be folks available to man the docks to handle a cruise ship that appears out of nowhere...

Expect the best... plan to be in your ports...

:)

Hurricane Charley in 2004 caused our cruise to reschedule Grand Cayman. At first we were scheduled for Nassau, then they announced we would be going to Key West, but we finally ended up at Costa Maya.

Other than that, it went pretty much smoothly.

Hi!

BTW, I love your profile pic! Delta fan, are you?:)

Absolutely a Delta fan! As for the deversions, I am optimistic and looking forward to a weather free trip. Just curious as to what happens when the weather does not cooperate.

Not that I'm wishing for a repeat performance of Hurricane Katrina but she made our cruise better. The captain left Key West in the rain on time but, instead of coasting up to Ft. Lauderdale, he took us out to sea for another fabulous day. This was on our first 4 day Majesty of the Seas cruise.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral on RC Mariner of the Seas in late October 2008, Eastern Caribbean itinerary -- St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and RC's private island in the Bahamas. On Day 2, a tropical system near Puerto Rico exploded into a major hurricane and the ports in the Virgin Islands were closed. We diverted to the Western Caribbean, ended up going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Had very rough seas until we reached the Western Caribbean (1/2 day of rough seas), then it was like gliding on ice, very smooth. We were bummed about missing the Eastern Carib ports -- especially since we flew from Houston to Florida specifically, and if we wanted the Western Caribbean we could've sailed from Galveston! Oh, well. There were lots of people angry about the port changes -- one couple was getting married in St. Thomas and the entire wedding party was meeting them there. Needless to say, that wedding didn't take place in St. Thomas. I wasn't the least bit concerned about a hurricane since it was, after all, late October. So, you never know!

We have been on 3 cruises that have had diversions. The first, in July 2005, we were supposed to go to Calica and Cozumel. The pier in Calica got damaged by hurricane, so we went to Costa Maya and Cozumel instead.

The second, in June 2007, we were scheduled to stop in Costa Maya but winds were too strong and we couldn't dock, so we had another fun day at sea.

Finally, in May 2008, we were supposed to dock in Cozumel one day and Calica the next. We were unable to dock in Calica (once again) and spent two days in Cozumel.

No matter the case, Carnival works with you and always tries to make things up to you (using onboard credit, alternate port, etc). We have always been flexible and just go along for the ride. Just have fun no matter the case :)

Yep, we've:

-had a 7 day turn into a 9 day - hurricane closed the port of Tampa so we got an extra day in Cozumel and an extra day at sea

-had a couple of ports changed due to hurricane damage there, I think we missed Costa Maya and Belize and went to Nassau and Key West instead

-had a Western Caribbean turned into an Eastern Caribbean due to a hurricane in the Gulf

- had an Eastern Caribbean turned into a Western Caribbean due to a hurricane between St. Thomas and the Bahamas.

And we had a WONDERFUL time on all of them. We could care less where they take us, just put us on a ship and we're happy :D

Although there were quite a few pax that were upset every time - one woman was SCREAMING into her cell phone on the Dream - telling whoever was unfortunate enough to be on the other end of that call that "This is NOT what I paid for, I'm going to see my lawyer and I'm suing Carnival" Uh, yes, this is exactly what you paid for!

A hurricane diverted our August Imagination cruise a few years ago. We were to stop at Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica, but instead visited Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay (Bonus!) and Nassau. We had a great time and I'm happy for the diversion ... if not, we would have hit Hurricane Dean head-on in Jamaica! :eek:

Yes, diverted from St. Maarten to Grand Turk due to a tropical storm. It was a little disappointing as a found the port very uninteresting (and was looking forward to St. Maarten) but it was still a great cruise! Unless you're going to see a specific port, a diversion isn't devastating. I really go for the days at sea :)

Yes, in August 2009, we were on the Elation and were supposed to have 2 days in Cabo.....:(.....unfortunately due to Hurricane Jimenia we spent a day in Ensenada (been there......done that) and a day at Catalina Island. We were very disappointed, of course, but there is no such thing as a bad cruise. We made the best of it. The snorkeling in Catalina was awesome, better than prior snorkeling in Cabo in fact. We were very glad our excursions were booked through Carnival as the itinerary change did not occur in time for some other passenger to get refunds with a few private tour vendors.

We were on the NCL Dawn, and missed the private island stop due to a thunder storm. We went straight to Nassau instead. Loved it! We wouldn't have had that much time there...so it all worked out.

Out of 12 Carnival cruises I have been diverted 3 times for storms and once for the dreaded swine flu scare. No big deal for me, I don't cruise for the ports. I would jump on a 7 day to nowhere in a heartbeat.

Hurricane Wilma, we were on Carnival Miracle. We were in Cozumel when Wilma hit Grand Cayman, our next port was Costa Maya which was in the path of the storm, so we were diverted to Progesso. It turned out well because we were able to see Chican Itza Mayan ruins! The Captian kept us in good weather. When we got home, Wilma turned around and hit us at home, but only a glancing blow, Not like a direct hit we got from Charley!

Anyone ever have trouble getting refunds for pre-paid shore excursions when the ship is diverted? I have prepaid hundreds of dollars for excursions I have booked myself. They are the bigger name outfits recommended in these forums but still I wonder.

Archived