Back from the Zuiderdam - quick report

LindaKE

I'll write a review when I have time, but, for now, here's a quick report.

The ship did get into Tracy Arm so we were able to do the small boat excursion there and didn't have to do it in Endicott Arm. The excursion was great!

The weather comments are from a Southern gal (deep South) who gets cold easily. For most of the trip it was sunny and warm. In Skagway, wearing only long sleeves (no layers or coats), we had to stop for ice cream cones to cool off before going back to the ship. Afterward, we enjoyed sitting on our balcony for about an hour watching the port - again in only long sleeves. Silly me didn't believe we'd need short sleeves in Alaska. Glacier Bay was foggy most of the morning then cloudy and gray. There we did need our layers, plus coat, gloves, hats, and deck blanket and were still cold. In Tracy Arm and Misty Fjord, the coats felt good, but we weren't cold with them.

Misty Fjord with Michelle from Island Wings was the highlight of the trip. Everything I've read here is so true!

We had a great cruise.

I'll try to answer any questions.

Glad to hear you had a great time. We will be on the Zuiderdam in August. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

What days were the formal nights?

And do you happen to know where the ship docked in Juneau? We were going to take the blue bus out to Mendenhall and kind of want to know which way to go when we get off the ship.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to reading your review.

Emily

Linda, good to hear you had a great cruise, with lovely weather. Looking forward to being in the Zuiderdam for our turn in September.

Alos good to hear that you enjoyed Misty Fjord with Michelle from Island Wings. We are excited about that too!

I know you had some concern about Tracy Arm, glad it worked out so well. I was there 5-24 and was told that the cruiseships hadn't made it up to within glacier viewing, but were transiting there.

Glad to hear you had a great time. We will be on the Zuiderdam in August. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

What days were the formal nights?

And do you happen to know where the ship docked in Juneau? We were going to take the blue bus out to Mendenhall and kind of want to know which way to go when we get off the ship.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to reading your review.

Emily

Formal nights were the 2nd night (sea day) and 5th night (Glacier Bay).

In Juneau, we tendered.

I know you had some concern about Tracy Arm, glad it worked out so well. I was there 5-24 and was told that the cruiseships hadn't made it up to within glacier viewing, but were transiting there.

The ship definitely got into Tracy Arm. It was following us for a short while, but then I never saw it again until we got to Juneau. No one I asked knew how far it got, but I doubt that it got to the glaciers. There was a lot of ice once we got close, and our catamaran was creeping along dodging it. I'm guessing that's where the ship turned around. We were able to see South Sawyer, but couldn't get as close as some of your pics show. The crew was able to help me down the ramp, so all was well!

The ship definitely got into Tracy Arm. It was following us for a short while, but then I never saw it again until we got to Juneau. No one I asked knew how far it got, but I doubt that it got to the glaciers. There was a lot of ice once we got close, and our catamaran was creeping along dodging it. I'm guessing that's where the ship turned around. We were able to see South Sawyer, but couldn't get as close as some of your pics show. The crew was able to help me down the ramp, so all was well!

Again, I am delighted it was a good tour for you. :) The tour boat viewing is way superior to up multi flights on a cruise ship.

I'll write a review when I have time, but, for now, here's a quick report.

The ship did get into Tracy Arm so we were able to do the small boat excursion there and didn't have to do it in Endicott Arm. The excursion was great!

The weather comments are from a Southern gal (deep South) who gets cold easily. For most of the trip it was sunny and warm. In Skagway, wearing only long sleeves (no layers or coats), we had to stop for ice cream cones to cool off before going back to the ship. Afterward, we enjoyed sitting on our balcony for about an hour watching the port - again in only long sleeves. Silly me didn't believe we'd need short sleeves in Alaska. Glacier Bay was foggy most of the morning then cloudy and gray. There we did need our layers, plus coat, gloves, hats, and deck blanket and were still cold. In Tracy Arm and Misty Fjord, the coats felt good, but we weren't cold with them.

Misty Fjord with Michelle from Island Wings was the highlight of the trip. Everything I've read here is so true!

We had a great cruise.

I'll try to answer any questions.

I missed this one!

another trip to add to my list!!!

The weather comments are from a Southern gal (deep South) who gets cold easily. I'll try to answer any questions.

Hi Linda,

'We're also from Alabama! We just booked and we'll be leaving in 3 weeks. I've been checking and comparing ship's tours w/online bookings, and frankly, there's not but a few dollars difference this summer (first time we went the savings were in the hundreds), so I'm wondering if you noticed, for instance, in Skagway, if there were tour vendors outside the dock's fence. The ship's tours are a little over priced, and I just am looking for an idea of what I might find if I do not book any excursion. Thanks.

Oh, I almost forgot. I know we did not have cell phone reception in Skagway, but do you know if by some strange chance there was internet on the ship there. Surely not if they're both relying on satellite! Same with Ketchikan. Let me know!

Hi Linda,

'We're also from Alabama! We just booked and we'll be leaving in 3 weeks. I've been checking and comparing ship's tours w/online bookings, and frankly, there's not but a few dollars difference this summer (first time we went the savings were in the hundreds), so I'm wondering if you noticed, for instance, in Skagway, if there were tour vendors outside the dock's fence. The ship's tours are a little over priced, and I just am looking for an idea of what I might find if I do not book any excursion. Thanks.

Oh, I almost forgot. I know we did not have cell phone reception in Skagway, but do you know if by some strange chance there was internet on the ship there. Surely not if they're both relying on satellite! Same with Ketchikan. Let me know!

If you dock where HAL and X docked, yes there are tour vendors just waiting to grab you. Since we did a ship's tour, I didn't pay too much attention to prices. (I did notice pre-cruise that there wasn't very much difference between ship and independent vendors in prices I saw.) Princess docked away from HAL and X, so I can't say about what they had, but it was probably comparable.

Sorry, I didn't check for internet service. I did notice satellite dishes set up for Skagway residents' use, so maybe they now have service.

Archived