Marina special restaurants

aldrin

They are all good but try them yourself. While Red Ginger was good, we like the Italian and Steak house just as much. French was not as good as we had hoped. The signature dish at RG is the sea bass. We ate there several times and didn't find the other items as good.

Hi, we cruised Athens to Barcelona in May. We both felt Red Ginger was our least favorite restaurant. The main dishes were just noodles and more noodles. We like Jacques and Polo Grill, followed by Toscana. Overall, all the food was good everywhere, and you can't go wrong. I would go to them all again if I had the chance.

We loved not having to get dressed up, but everywhere the restaurants were very "adult." It was our first cruise, and hearing stories of people eating, eating, eating, and overindulging on cruises, we felt the portion sizes were just right. Husband gained a few pounds, and I lost a couple. It was all the walking around on the shores. If the portions were bigger, we'd be in trouble!

I wonder if Jacques agrees with you? :D

I know I don't, though I respect your opinion. We ate there several times on 3 segments and not everything was perfect all the time (things rarely are always perfect), but I would not consider it sub par IMO.

I agree with you, Paulchili. IMO, none of the restaurants on the Marina were sub par. I enjoyed all of them. It was wonderful to have so many delicious options! :D

Sweep,

I wouldn't worry too much about only having seven nights in the GDR. Imo, it is the least interesting venue onboard with the least good (I am not saying worst) service. The room is way too large to be inviting and the food is more generic. If I were you I'd allocate more nights to the Terrace which is superb at night.

Sweep,

I wouldn't worry too much about only having seven nights in the GDR. Imo, it is the least interesting venue onboard with the least good (I am not saying worst) service. The room is way too large to be inviting and the food is more generic. If I were you I'd allocate more nights to the Terrace which is superb at night.

I agree 100%...we found that the least favorite venue on board for dining!! Strange...but true!!! LuAnn

...the worst server I ever encountered on board or on land. This unfortunate South American server apparently believes that one listens only to a man; women do not have voices. Gerry had to step in extremely forcefully; and then the maitre d'.

I sincerely hope this server has been shown the error of his ways and/or we don't get him at our table. That kind of behavior from men will get my blood boiling like nothing else. I understand there are cultural differences but on a cruise ship, that kind of behavior should not be tolerated. So sorry that you had to experience that. It's good to hear that the maitre d' stepped in.

I sincerely hope this server has been shown the error of his ways and/or we don't get him at our table. That kind of behavior from men will get my blood boiling like nothing else. I understand there are cultural differences but on a cruise ship, that kind of behavior should not be tolerated. So sorry that you had to experience that. It's good to hear that the maitre d' stepped in.

Thanks, dolphinmar. The maitre d' did step in, and when we left, apologized for our experience, but he only arrived because my husband summoned him over to our table when the server proved so intransigent.

I was utterly flabbergasted by the entire experience and yes, my blood was boiling. I cut into my veal chop five separate times to show him as he stood there and talked over my protestations to my husband about the sides, just continuing to serve him the side dishes that accompanied our entrees.

It was like I did not exist; very surreal. My husband was great: never raised his voice but told the server several times to stop; there is a problem with my wife's meal. He kept repeating that and finally had to raise his hand up so the man could not proceed shovelling sides onto my husband's plate.

We left as soon as possible after the dish was replaced at the maitre d's initiative, and we finished our entrees. My husband heard him tell the server to always inform him if there is any problem. I was so upset that the food tasted like sawdust.

That being said, and hopefully off my chest permanently (thank you, kind readers, for exorcising this demon:)) , the service in the specialty restaurants on Oceania ships usually is top-notch and very attentive.

We liked all four. The watermelon duck salad at Red Ginger was wonderful. The escargot and lobster thermidor at Jacques was mouth watering. The polo grill is always wonderful. I would recommend trying them all and eating in them as often as possible. It is very refreshing to have no upcharge.

Oceania is a wonderful cruise line - our favorite.

Have a great cruise!

Cintipam - I am sorry that your dinner was so egregious. I totally get the "taste like sawdust" part! But I love how you didn't let it spoil your trip. Surreal is the perfect word for the whole thing. Oceania is such a wonderful line normally and the folks who work on board are close to 100% fabulous.

We get to sail Marina later this month. Can hardly wait!

Cintipam - I am sorry that your dinner was so egregious. I totally get the "taste like sawdust" part! But I love how you didn't let it spoil your trip. Surreal is the perfect word for the whole thing. Oceania is such a wonderful line normally and the folks who work on board are close to 100% fabulous.

We get to sail Marina later this month. Can hardly wait!

I think that I almost am ready to vote in Paul's R ships v. Marina poll in favor of Marina. The public areas are so beautiful, the artwork glorious (look for the Miro's!), the two new restaurants so enjoyable, the new bathrooms marvelous and the beds even more luxurious. And all this without feeling at all overwhelmed by the increase in passenger capacity. To me, these factors all outweigh one idiot server, some cabin design flaws, and the very elegant but very uncomfortable (too low for all but the shortest of people) furniture in many of the public areas such as Martinis and Horizons.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I think that I almost am ready to vote in Paul's R ships v. Marina poll in favor of Marina. The public areas are so beautiful, the artwork glorious (look for the Miro's!), the two new restaurants so enjoyable, the new bathrooms marvelous and the beds even more luxurious. And all this without feeling at all overwhelmed by the increase in passenger capacity. To me, these factors all outweigh one idiot server, some cabin design flaws, and the very elegant but very uncomfortable (too low for all but the shortest of people) furniture in many of the public areas such as Martinis and Horizons.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Pam,

You summarized your feelings on the subject very well (even though we have to agree to disagree :))

I appreciate all the thought you put into casting your vote - nothing hasty or emotional about it.

Sorry about you bad experience - let's hope it is the first and last.

Happy sailings.

Paul

• Administrators
and the very elegant but very uncomfortable (too low for all but the shortest of people) furniture in many of the public areas such as Martinis and Horizons.

!

Ah, the low chairs might actually work for me.

Funny story while on board a brand new ship! It was a media-only event, and I was listening to the President speak; he said he personally sat in every single chair to test it before they made selections for the ship! Very commendable and hands-on. Except that he is a very imposing 6' plus guy! I'm 5 feet tall and my feet never touched the ground! I should have volunteered for chair selection for the next round of ships! lol

Ah, the low chairs might actually work for me.

Funny story while on board a brand new ship! It was a media-only event, and I was listening to the President speak; he said he personally sat in every single chair to test it before they made selections for the ship! Very commendable and hands-on. Except that he is a very imposing 6' plus guy! I'm 5 feet tall and my feet never touched the ground! I should have volunteered for chair selection for the next round of ships! lol

Five feet tall might just be perfect for chair sitting on Marina, so you have chosen well for your upcoming cruise. Has anyone mentioned that you must try the scones with jam and clotted cream at tea one day?

We usually are not available for tea, being on shore or at the pool, but with the cooler weather in the Baltics, I never even dipped my toes in the much larger Marina pool. (Another pro-Marina point, Paul!:D; you actually can swim laps in this one.)

CintiPam,

So sorry about your horrible waiter experience. You and your husband have much more self control than I would have in a similar situation. Fortunately, it was an isolated experience and totally unrepresentative of the service onboard the ship. Good for you for not letting it spoil the rest of your cruise.

CintiPam,

So sorry about your horrible waiter experience. You and your husband have much more self control than I would have in a similar situation. Fortunately, it was an isolated experience and totally unrepresentative of the service onboard the ship. Good for you for not letting it spoil the rest of your cruise.

Thanks, wripro; the fact that it was so totally unrepresentative made the experience even more surreal at the time. When I think of Oceania, to me its hallmark is incredible service from an amazing staff. Now that I have written about this strange event on these boards, it is fading more and more into the background of a wonderful shipboard experience. Marina truly is a lovely ship.

Archived