Iphone use on cruise ships.

Echo Queen

I know that I need to have my iphone in airplane mode in order to not get charged for data and such.

I would like to use texting only (free to recieve $.50 to send per AT/T rep) so what do I turn on/off in order to do this?

Yes I have searched but did not find the answer. Thanks all.

What we did was forward our phones to another line (home phone, a business line, etc) and turned the data roaming off. We were able to get texts and use the wifi in ports.

I'm not actually sure, but I know the receiving free is incorrect. We received 10 texts in Cozumel, no outbounds and got charged (I believe) .25 per text.

If it is in airplane mode you can't text. Just make sure data roaming is turned off. This is the default setting

Also make sure you have international service setup with AT&T

Can you please explain just why I need the inter. service? I called today and rep couldn't really answer any of my questions. She said to just text at the above rates and that's all I needed:eek: I know they give bad advise which is why I'm asking the people that acually have experience. Thanks

Can you please explain just why I need the inter. service? I called today and rep couldn't really answer any of my questions. She said to just text at the above rates and that's all I needed:eek: I know they give bad advise which is why I'm asking the people that acually have experience. Thanks

Here's the thing - in order for you to receive texts, you have to leave the phone open to be able to receive calls too. There is no way to just block calls. Hence why I say forward your cell phone number somewhere else before leaving port.

If you plan to not forward your phone, you will be subject to any international rates should your phone even ring (you don't have to pick up - this also happened to us).

Forwarding your phone will allievate the need for an international service package.

When on the ship you are roaming with international rates. The phone may or may not work if that is not turned on by at&t, I have heard people say you don't need it. As it costs nothing to have it added I did just to be safe.

Yes, this is true if you leave the data roaming turned on and do not forward your phone.

We turn the iPhone on airplane mode while on the ship. We get the ships internet plan, and use our email to communicate home. Around the ship we use the phone for music, videos and games. In port we use the phone to call home, let everyone know where ok, where we are, and when we'll call next. We use Skype in port, and/or usually find a free wi-fi connection to get emails, txts, etc. We may make one or two calles via our phone the entire trip, but they only last a few minutes. Getting the internet plan onboard, and checking emails that way is less costly than using the phone. Since you have ATT, here's a link for the International Coverage which includes cruise ships. I didnt go through to pick a specific link since some request a specific cruiseline or location. Happy Sailing!!!

http://www.att.com/global-search/search.jsp?App_ID=HOME&q=cruise+ship+coverage&srch=SrchResults_MyPastSearches&prvst=cruise ship coverage&prvstcnt=100&ind=0

DH and I both have iPhones - and have cruised with them. If you follow the recommended settings in the AT&T link above you will NOT incur any roaming data charges. We text and make a few calls to stay in touch - but we do not access any data while cruising.

Setting the phone in airplane mode alone will not allow you to text and the minute you take it out of airplane mode to send a text - it will begin to download data, for which there will be a charge.

When you talked to AT&T did you get connected the international department??

I know that I need to have my iphone in airplane mode in order to not get charged for data and such.

I would like to use texting only (free to recieve $.50 to send per AT/T rep) so what do I turn on/off in order to do this?

Yes I have searched but did not find the answer. Thanks all.

I am pretty sure that it is .50/each to send - or receive. Which is still much better than the $2.49/minute for a call.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but thought I'd ask -- I leave for a cruise in a few days & I have an iPhone as well, I was wondering if I keep my phone on airplane mode, will my alarm clock still work without accumulating any roaming/data charges? TIA :)

Yes - just keep one thing in mind. When you put your iphone on airplane mode, the time stays in the same time zone where ever you locked it. That's a good thing because it will keep you on ship's time. However, on the islands you may be off.

Also.. Isn't it best to stay on ship's time even if your in port considering we arrive & leave on the ship's time? :confused: I'm a little lost, haha!

Yes. The only reason I can think of needing to know the local time is for the shop hours. I have found some that say they'll be back at 1pm and I get confused at the time difference.

When I spoke to at&t it was not the international dept. that's for sure.

So roaming is off by default so nothing to change.

So I just need to get the call forwarding instructions. Thanks all.

I have never done the call forwarding.

My only thought here is not to set the call forwarding if you think you may need to receive a call from anyone while you are away. Because with the calls being forwarded - you won't know it.

My boys will be staying with my brother, they all text including my sons. Outside of my boys and the caregiver, my brother anything else in the whole big world can wait. I am on vacation. See ya/talk to you in 7 days. We usually cruise with the kids, if they were coming my phone would be in airplane mode no problem.

Yes, for you to make a call. But will you know if someone is trying to reach you??

If the OP gives instructions to immediate family to communicate via text only, there would be no need to worry about this. Anyone that is calling, is not of importance.

We always tell the family email and text - because all calls go to the business line.

Archived