Iphone use on cruise ships.

Echo Queen

I don't see how you can be charged for a call you don't answer. I'd be fighting AT&T over that one big time!

Just because they can.

I'm not arguing the ethics of it, I'm sure it's written in their 106 page contract somewhere. I'm just warning people, if you do not pay for their international plan and your phone rings, be prepared to be charged for it. Forward your phones.

What we did was forward our phones to another line (home phone, a business line, etc) and turned the data roaming off. We were able to get texts and use the wifi in ports.

I'm not actually sure, but I know the receiving free is incorrect. We received 10 texts in Cozumel, no outbounds and got charged (I believe) .25 per text.

Was this AT&T or Verizon?

According to this link, the incoming should have only been whatever you would have gotten charged at home (i.e. if you have texts included, then free).

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?MNC=CING&CIDL=484&dropFormChoice=0.99%3B0.59%3B484&product1rate=%240.99&product2rate=%240.59&x=42&y=10

I only question, because I'm going there next week, and I'm a texter... I've experienced the free incoming texts in the Bahamas already, now I need to know about Cozumel.

I don't see how you can be charged for a call you don't answer. I'd be fighting AT&T over that one big time!

Because it goes to your voicemail, and that's as if you've answered. My daughter has a prepaid GoPhone, and I specifically haven't set up voicemail, so if she sees a number she doesn't know, she doesn't answer it, and there's no charge (nobody has her number but us, so she's not missing anything other than marketers).

Because it goes to your voicemail, and that's as if you've answered. My daughter has a prepaid GoPhone, and I specifically haven't set up voicemail, so if she sees a number she doesn't know, she doesn't answer it, and there's no charge (nobody has her number but us, so she's not missing anything other than marketers).

Good point.

I have AT&T .

That's total b.s. The voicemail isn't stored on your phone, it's stored on a server at AT&T somewhere. I wonder if it's not the ships telecom service that charges you since an income call uses their network/system to locate your phone and send the call through to it. Btw, I'm not saying your answer was bs, just the fact that you can be charged for your phone ringing.

Archived