Do We Really NEED the Help?

sail7seas

A question...........

Time and again, we read about 'special assistance needed'........

Is it needed?

Sure, some Need to know if gluten free items are available and how to get them when needed. We hear someone needs their medication refrigerated..... Important issues.

But:

If you happen to have diabetes or any other food limiting disease, you are used to eating appropriately for your disease every day of your life. When you go to the grocery market, do you have a Chef who accompanies you to say what to plan for dinners and what to buy or do you know for yourself what belongs in your grocery basket?

If you check in a hotel, do you need a consultation with the Hotel Manager, Culinary Operations manager and maybe Maitre d' or do you figure out for yourself what foods on the menu should be on your plate and order accordingly?

Do you need to see a special 'spa menu' in every restaurant where you dine or do you pick from the restaurant's regular menu?

Do you need to consult with the Maitre d' or host at every restaurant where you eat?

Then why is all this suggested as necessary/demanded/expected on a cruise ship?

I am not without disease but I know my proper diet and I handle it. We are not incompetent children who need constant hand holding...... :eek:, or are we? :o

Can't we eat what we are supposed to and take our pills like big boys and girls without involving ship's crew/staff in other than providing what it is we order/buy in advance?

People with special dietary needs will often avoid eating out when at home, just because it can always be risky at restaurants. Or, having a wide range of restaurants to choose from, they go to one that works for them. On a cruise, you have to 'eat out', and at just one or two 'restaurants'.

Experienced cruisers will likewise know their way around the menus and ship venues. But new cruisers may indeed need to have their 'hands held'.

Now at first I thought you were asking if we needed the service crew (The Help). I for one would since I don't really want to hunt the whole ship to find the hiding place of fresh towels.

Or you could have been referring to the late best seller of the same name (title), which is a really good read and will soon be a major motion picture but is not really something in the catagory of "NEED".

But, to your point, NO. In general I agree 100%.

Not that I haven't consulted with a MD or a Wine Captian from time to time in order to make a good choice. In general, I'd expect someone with diatary restrictions and requirements to know what is good for them and what isn't. That said, ship board menus are not all that forthcoming about ingredients, some guidance might be necesarry on particular dishes.

Sail, I agree but I think that this just happens to be the Hot Topic of the month here on the CC HAL Board.:D I think the more it is discussed the more we have given ideas to new cruisers or even those who have been around for a while when in fact they got along just fine in the past on their cruises ;)

I ask clients everyday if they have any special dietary requests and often I get the answer that they manage it fine on their own if they are diabetic or on special diet from their doctor. Most are fully aware of what they need to order and what to do on a ship, which is no different than real life going out to restaurants. I have even stated I can put in a request and 95% say there is no need to do that they would rather chose on their own.

I have stated this before but if someone has a severe "real" food allergy they really have no business going on a cruise. There is just too much risk and worry involved. You are dealing with a kitchen that is handling thousands of meals a day and while we know the ships are highly rated and extremely clean there is just no way to keep someone that has touched clean shell fish from touching something else with their gloves.

A question...........

Is it needed?

Sure, some Need to know if gluten free items are available and how to get them when needed. We hear someone needs their medication refrigerated..... Important issues.

But:

If you happen to have diabetes or any other food limiting disease, you are used to eating appropriately for your disease every day of your life. When you go to the grocery market, do you have a Chef who accompanies you to say what to plan for dinners and what to buy or do you know for yourself what belongs in your grocery basket?

If you check in a hotel, do you need a consultation with the Hotel Manager, Culinary Operations manager and maybe Maitre d' or do you figure out for yourself what foods on the menu should be on your plate and order accordingly?

Do you need to see a special 'spa menu' in every restaurant where you dine or do you pick from the restaurant's regular menu?

Do you need to consult with the Maitre d' or host at every restaurant where you eat?

I am not without disease but I know my proper diet and I handle it. We are not incompetent children who need constant hand holding...... :eek:, or are we? :o

Can't we eat what we are supposed to and take our pills like big boys and girls without involving ship's crew/staff in other than providing what it is we order/buy in advance?

Perhaps your health issues are the kind that are not affected by hidden ingredients. Other people need to know everything that is in a dish, because certain triggers can be hidden. Given the industrial nature of cooking on a cruiseship, and the prepackaged mixes and such that must by necessity be used, a person who has food sensitivies, intolerances and allergies MUST consult with the staff people who know the ingredients of the ingredients. A package listing "spices" or a menu item that says "spiced" does NOT tell someone everything they may need to know.

For someone new to cruising who is struggling with health problems it is important to be able to ask questions such as "How is gluten free handled?" and "Can I get sugar free desserts?" If I'm going to be virtually a prisoner on a ship, I'd want to know my dietary needs can be met, or not. It's not like I can just swim to shore to obtain something that works for me, if the ship is unable to provide what I need.

The difference between a restaurant and a cruiseship is that one cannot at will LEAVE the cruiseship.

A question...........

Is it needed?

But:

Sail you have been hitting home runs with your posts today . Could not agree more .

I think we have become the special needs generation .

Its liike you can't meet any given person that can't be near peanuts, can't have dairy, can't have gluttons , can't wear purple, can't stand on linoleum . What is going on ?

I thank God neither myself or my wife and kids have any health problems that require special diet or lifetsyle requirements. But if we did I would make darn sure that those requirements were met no matter where we went. If they couldn't be met to a level that would keep me oput of Harms way. I would not go.

The diabetics I know , especially the ones who have been all their lives or very long term, know how to balance their diets and their lives around their needs. as well as others I know who have other special health requirements.

Maybe that research should be done in advance of booking.

Lisa made a valid point....... to an extent. There probably are some people with such severe allergies and /or such dire consequences to eating the tiniest bit of a spice or food could be deadly, should not be on a cruise ship carrying 1,500+ up to 6,000 guests. They need to adapt their vacations to their individual needs. IMO

Asking if there are sugar free desserts can easily be learned in advance of booking.

Asking if gluten free is available and how to arrange for it can be done in advance.

I'm not even necessarily referencing allergies. I'm referencing those who 'expect' there need to be spa menus... Why? One can eat spa healthy from a normal menu if they make good choices.

Special diabetes meetings with Maitre d'? Why. They know what they should be eating. All of it is on the regular dinner menu. Choose well.

Dislike of mushrooms..... don't order a dish containing them.

They get through their life from week to week at home on their own and their personal medical education belongs with their health care providers. It isn't for a cruise ship to educate a diabetic how to eat. They need to learn that from medical sources or their private research. It isn't for the Maitre d' to 'meet with them' to discuss the menu

Please note........ I, too, have dietary needs but have never felt the need to involve anyone but my health care providers in my dietary needs and education.

Why is it that every year, we find more and more 'special attention' needed. IF it is NEEDED, fine..... of course. But so much of it only 'needs' independent responsibility IMO

Clearly, I'm on a 'kick' lately. I'm getting so tired of all the 'all about me' attitude in society. There are too many of us to all be able to make it 'all about me'.

Sail, I do agree with the direction of what you're saying.

And Lisa - good point as always. A person with life threatening allergies has as much business on a cruise ship as a woman more than 6 months pregnant. An accident waiting to happen.

But, Pete Jackson's post resonated with me. And, it did so because - no surprise - I know/cruised with someone. First time cruiser. Allergies to hidden ingredients (soy). Usually only eats out at one diner, where she knows the menu. Eating something forbidden wouldn't put her in the hospital, but it could make her sick enough not to enjoy the cruise.

But, she didn't have daily consults. Asked on the first day about the bread (no soy additives). Asked what went into the mashed potatoes. Requested "no gravy" on stuff. Ate in the Lido a lot. Had no problems.

The nice thing about the HAL menu is that there always is a selection of plain unadorned choices every night- salmon or other fish, chicken breast, grilled sirloin, green salad, steamed vegetables. This should make choosing simple for those with special needs. If I had food allergies, especially to anything that could be hidden, I wouldn't go near anything with a sauce or multiple ingredients. Same for the Lido and Pinnacle. I would never expect a kitchen serving thousands of pax to be able to keep me risk-free.

I too have a sensitivity to soy (not life threatening but unpleasant) and I cruise.... and, I handle it myself. Frankly, I do not expect my server to know all the ingredients. I know where it is likely to be lurking, and will avoid those foods, or ask individually if need be. By the way, soy is a fast rising food allergy or sensitivity in terms of numbers of people, due to the large amounts of it used these days in some really surprising places. I unfortunately discovered mine on a trip to China... don't do Asia cruises these days. If it was a peanut allergy or a really life threatening thing, then I think I probably would not cruise.... easier to control at home.

Susan

Clearly, I'm on a 'kick' lately. I'm getting so tired of all the 'all about me' attitude in society. There are too many of us to all be able to make it 'all about me'.

It should not be all about me unless I don't like it! Then it needs to change!

The nice thing about the HAL menu is that there always is a selection of plain unadorned choices every night- salmon or other fish, chicken breast, grilled sirloin, green salad, steamed vegetables. This should make choosing simple for those with special needs. If I had food allergies, especially to anything that could be hidden, I wouldn't go near anything with a sauce or multiple ingredients. Same for the Lido and Pinnacle. I would never expect a kitchen serving thousands of pax to be able to keep me risk-free.

I am diabetic, but as I said on another thread, I know what to eat and what not to eat, but I'm not perfect!:D I could order one of the plain dishes(I'm sure they're delicious!) but I always have to go with something with(or without-usually with) sauce-the steak is a favourite of mine.

Maybe that research should be done in advance of booking.

Lisa made a valid point....... to an extent. There probably are some people with such severe allergies and /or such dire consequences to eating the tiniest bit of a spice or food could be deadly, should not be on a cruise ship carrying 1,500+ up to 6,000 guests. They need to adapt their vacations to their individual needs. IMO

Asking if there are sugar free desserts can easily be learned in advance of booking.

Asking if gluten free is available and how to arrange for it can be done in advance.

I'm not even necessarily referencing allergies. I'm referencing those who 'expect' there need to be spa menus... Why? One can eat spa healthy from a normal menu if they make good choices.

Special diabetes meetings with Maitre d'? Why. They know what they should be eating. All of it is on the regular dinner menu. Choose well.

Dislike of mushrooms..... don't order a dish containing them.

They get through their life from week to week at home on their own and their personal medical education belongs with their health care providers. It isn't for a cruise ship to educate a diabetic how to eat. They need to learn that from medical sources or their private research. It isn't for the Maitre d' to 'meet with them' to discuss the menu

Please note........ I, too, have dietary needs but have never felt the need to involve anyone but my health care providers in my dietary needs and education.

Why is it that every year, we find more and more 'special attention' needed. IF it is NEEDED, fine..... of course. But so much of it only 'needs' independent responsibility IMO

100% AGREEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joanie

There are certain foods I can't eat either.

I've never filled out a form with HAL, never questioned the waiter. It doesn't take a lot to know what I can or cannot do.

What I really like is HAL's alternate choices which are offered every single night.

I really feel that for most needs, you can take care of yourself as Sail has suggested. And as Lisa has wisely pointed out, if the risk is too high, cruising might not be the right venue for everyone. (ie. waiter touches a plate with shelffish, etc.)

I do sympathize with people who have issues - I really do, but if the issues are too large - there's a lot of plates, a lot of waiters, a big kitchen - I don't think anyone can guarantee anything - try as they might.

Great thread again Sail - you are really flying this week:)

I think some of y'all are over-reacting to a simple question on another thread. I sincerely doubt that mauiedin87 expects to have the maitre d' hold his/her hand at every meal and describe the food ingredients. S/he probably used the term "spa" menu to describe the everyday selections and didn't mean that s/he wanted a special menu. My guess is that s/he really just wanted to know whether a HAL person can answer a question about the menu ingredients if needed.

My husband has been a diabetic for about 10 years. I know what he should/shouldn't eat and we do fine when I cook at home. However, I work full-time and occasionally just don't feel like cooking so I'll pick something up for dinner on my way home from work. I admit that I have occasionally asked at a restaurant about the ingredients of certain items to make sure they they were appropriate for my husband. I guess that doesn't make me a "big girl". :rolleyes:

I don't like pork and do not order things that list pork products as an ingredient. On my Maasdam cruise on three different occasions, I ordered items that did not list bacon as an ingredient but contained bacon. I double-checked the menu each time to verify that I had not missed bacon being listed. I hadn't - it wasn't shown. There are lots of people besides me who don't eat pork for religious or ethical reasons. Should I just assume that chicken primavera is topped with bacon and not order it, even though bacon isn't mentioned? Doesn't HAL have some responsibility to accurately report their ingredients?

I agree that there are too many people around who are focused solely on "ME" (and I'm going to guess that many of you will put me in that category for daring to ask about food ingredients). However, belittling people or assuming the worst about them isn't a good attitute to have either. I prefer to assume that someone is simply not explaining him/herself very well and provide a simple answer to their question (if I know the answer).

I, too, ask about ingredients while seated at the table and placing my order with the steward. I don't eat butter, high fat and various other categories but this is usually discernable from menu in combination with a reasonable converation with the steward. They are at least moderately advised of what a dish looks likes and major features of it.

If one is seated at late traditional seating, it's a fair guess the steward has seen all the meals plated for the evening by the time he is taking our order. He served all of first seating by then.

There is a difference between a casual, common request from a steward and a major 'I need to meet with the Chef' situation.

IMO

And unless someone asks, how would they know that a "normal menu" has items that they can safely eat? Just because you and a few other posters have many dozens of cruises, does NOT mean someone going on HAL for the first time would know what a "normal" HAL menu is.

I haven't seen anyone asking for the cruise staff/crew to educate them on their medical condition.

Again, you have cruised HAL how many times? If it were your first cruise, would YOU not want some reassurance that you could find suitable choices onboard?

I too am all for personal responsibility. It never occurred to me to insist that (back when I was vegetarian) the ship provide vegetarian meals. I made my choices based on my restrictions, and that sometimes required that a dish be "tweaked". Never even occurred to me that the ship might have vegetarian dishes available. They were certainly never shown on the menu back then. I make my choices now based on what I know, and do not rely on anyone to look out for my allergies. That said, I don't have to worry about hidden wheat, soy, sugar, sodium.

I think anything that discourages a newbie cruiser or newbie to HAL from asking questions that are (in their opinion) important, does the cruiser and this board a disservice.

I have been a Type 2 Diabetic since 1995! When I was on the Old Westerdam, Maitre D' Hendricus asked me what was wrong at Dinner and I told him I was having difficulty selecting my meal.

Planning my daily Calories, Carbohydrate, Sugar and Protein Load for all 3 meals, it would help if I could see the following nights Menu! NO PROBLEM! Each night he brought me a copy of the next nights Dinner. I picked the foods I wanted, signed off on it, and I could eat intelligently, and be SAFE!;)

It made selecting the foods for Breakfast and Lunch very easy!:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

And unless someone asks, how would they know that a "normal menu" has items that they can safely eat? Just because you and a few other posters have many dozens of cruises, does NOT mean someone going on HAL for the first time would know what a "normal" HAL menu is.

If they are on the ship, they can read the menu at any bar or posted in front of the dining room. Before boarding, they can find samples of many menus on this site and others. They can call Ship's Services. Their TA can get 'answers' for them.

[/i]

Quote:

I haven't seen anyone asking for the cruise staff/crew to educate them on their medical condition.

Why do they need special meetings with a Chef or Maitre d' to discuss diabetic diet? They live and eat as a diabetic every day of their lives. Presumably they know what foods they can eat.

Again, reference menus which are posted and available around the ship.

Quote:

Again, you have cruised HAL how many times? If it were your first cruise, would YOU not want some reassurance that you could find suitable choices onboard?

:

I too am all for personal responsibility. It never occurred to me to insist that (back when I was vegetarian) the ship provide vegetarian meals. I made my choices based on my restrictions, and that sometimes required that a dish be "tweaked". Never even occurred to me that the ship might have vegetarian dishes available. They were certainly never shown on the menu back then. I make my choices now based on what I know, and do not rely on anyone to look out for my allergies. That said, I don't have to worry about hidden wheat, soy, sugar, sodium.

I think anything that discourages a newbie cruiser or newbie to HAL from asking questions that are (in their opinion) important, does the cruiser and this board a disservice.

I agree that newcomers should not be discouraged.

But I recall we booked our first cruise, got ourselves to embarkation port, boarded the ship, found our way around the ship, ate our meals, enjoyed ourselves, got off the ship, picked up our luggage, got to the airport and got home....... Having forums makes it more exciting and gives good ideas and suggestions but in the end, our common sense and personal needs are our own responsibility.

We had no idea about Internet or cruise forums so maybe it's possible to make our way through life sometimes using our own wits.

Yes, it's fun having new cruisers here and on the ships. We skip Embarkation Lunch in Main Dining Room in favor of Lido as I love the excitement of the new cruiser.

If it weren't for new cruisers with great questions and their excitement there would be lots less fun and interest here. I value the new cruiser tremendously and envy them. They are going to experience their First.... :D

Some of these questions I have posed this week don't only apply to cruising.... I mean them about getting around in the world in general, in living our daily lives, being responsible for ourselves and taking more care of ourselves independently of expecting/requiring others to do for us that which we can and should do for ourselves.

Again,

Just My Opinion. ;)

As a cruiser (yes, I cruise!) with allergies that could be life-threatening - I carry three epi-pens with me every vacation - I really appreciate the time and effort that major cruise lines put into making my cruises more comfortable. On land I always alert the waiter that I have specific allergies before I order. I find wait staff to be very knowledgeable about menu items, and I can eat with little concern.

My travel agent knows of my allergies, and alerts the cruise line before I leave. There is usually a very charming note in my stateroom, inviting me to contact the maitre'd. When I do, I am able to discuss menus with him/her, and I know that I will have risk-free meals. If this is "all about me", then I'm all for it!

Once upon a time people with physical handicaps were unable to travel freely. When my Mom cruised in a wheelchair, she was offered wonderful treatment. I like to think that my allergies do not prevent me from seeing as much of the world as those of you with no life-threatening ailments!

I appreciate the time bestowed upon me by the cruise company, and the fact that I am able to feel safe on a ship.

DH has recently developed a condition that is still in the management phase. One of the things (among many) he has to avoid is salt. I was shocked to read an article on msn.com about the amount of salt in restaurant foods. The article suggested the 'better alternative' on the same restaurant's menu.

Applebee's was a huge offender. One dish contained an amazing 6000+ mg of sodium in ONE dish. Others are in the 4000 mg range. I was shocked to read this. I have since researched Applebee's menu online... wow, an eye opener.

Where might one find this information for HAL? DH and I don't currently have a cruise planned for this summer, but I could see this becoming a concern in the future. His symptoms cause misery and confine him to the cabin... so are you saying that we shouldn't cruise? :confused: If HAL offers an option to have a special diet handled by appropriate staff (onshore and onboard), then why shouldn't those who "need" the accommodation use it?

I'm an educator, and I shudder to think of the list of accommodations for thousands of disabilities... ones the public has never even heard defined!

Wow, maybe it's just me, but it seems there is an unexpected harshness, and lack of compassion to this thread. I'm very glad for all of you who don't need special assistance, either because you don't have any food issues, or you've learned to handle them on a cruise. I really am happy you don't have to worry about what you eat. I don't either, so I'm not taking this personally.

I do have a daughter who is a vegetarian, and wants to know from her own moral perspective whether there is a meat product in an item. My father doesn't eat pork or shellfish. He always asks about meatballs because many are made with pork. I worked with a man who spent time in a hospital because he ate banquet rice that had been made with chicken broth. He had asked specifically, but I guess no one thought he really had an allergy. My nephew's wife is glutton intolerant. I could go on and on with people I know or have worked with. During their everyday life, they read labels, and ask questions...as a back up, they can eat when they get home from banquets.

Yes, or course, they could go on a cruise and eat only the plain vegetables, but I don't think they are wrong in asking if there is anything else available to them. I eat a lot of things on a cruise I don't make for myself at home. I don't think it's an unusual desire to want something special, but safe.

DH has recently developed a condition that is still in the management phase. One of the things (among many) he has to avoid is salt. I was shocked to read an article on msn.com about the amount of salt in restaurant foods. The article suggested the 'better alternative' on the same restaurant's menu.

Applebee's was a huge offender. One dish contained an amazing 6000+ mg of sodium in ONE dish. Others are in the 4000 mg range. I was shocked to read this. I have since researched Applebee's menu online... wow, an eye opener.

Where might one find this information for HAL? DH and I don't currently have a cruise planned for this summer, but I could see this becoming a concern in the future. His symptoms cause misery and confine him to the cabin... so are you saying that we shouldn't cruise? :confused: If HAL offers an option to have a special diet handled by appropriate staff (onshore and onboard), then why shouldn't those who "need" the accommodation use it?

>SNIP<

It is frightening how unhealthy many of the processed foods, and food mixes, and prepackaged food items are. When you start researching (as you have) it becomes a real motivator to make real food at home,s o you can control what goes into your body, as much as possible.

Regarding the part I bolded in your comments, I am tempted to say "Oh yeah, you can cruise, just don't ask for input or assistance on Cruise Critic" :D

What are these forums for if not to ask questions to help us enjoy our cruise more?

The ME generation. If I don't take care of ME, no one else will. If that means I need to ask whether a dish contains a certain ingredient, I will do so.

Telling people they should not speak to the maitre'd or the chef is counterproductive, if they need the reassurance that they will be able to enjoy the cruise and the food served on it--especially those who may have a bad reaction. That is taking care of ME!

As a diabetic, yes I do know what I can eat and what I can't eat. The problem is when I don't prepare the food myself, I don't know all the ingredients and there are a lot of hidden sugars in restaurant foods. A steady diet of grilled chicken and steamed vegetables gets old very quickly.

I don't need to talk to the maitre 'd, but I do ask questions of the server. I do check the daily menus and that makes my decision on where I am going to eat. Sometimes the Lido buffet has a friendlier menu for me.

While I do what I can to take responsibility for my diet, I cannot control what I don't know. When I've asked to have the starch removed from my selection and replaced with extra vegetables, sometimes that was done and sometimes it wasn't. On my last cruise it was noted in my reservation that I needed a low carb menu. I found that my requests were followed more closely.

Archived