Teen Travelling with Friend's Family/Ship-Board Charges

My 16 year old son will be travelling abord the Explorer of the Seas with a friend's family in July. I would like him to be able to pay for his own sodas, waters, etc. Can anyone tell me if I can purchase a drink card prior to his boarding? If not, how can I handle this?

Any other tips anyone is willing to offer regarding a situation like this would be VERY greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cathy

You can certainly purchase a soda package in advance which I highly recommend for a teen. You can also get a water package in advance but I would recommend sending him with a couple of sports bottles that he can fill with ice water in the Windjammer. Perfectly goodand no charge. Iced tea and lemonade are also free. He can have his seapass account set up with a cash amount to cover any other incidentals.

You might want to buy you son some onboard credit prior to the cruise so he has some spending money for onboard. Anything that the doesn't spend (like that will really happen ;)) will either be credited to the credit card linked to his onboard account or redeemed in cash if he has a cash onboard account.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/landing.do?pagename=gifts_and_gear&cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=8

Just a suggestion here, but I would also ask the host parent what they have decided to set as spending limits for their son. I would want my child to have a similar limit (assuming it is not over the top). It would not seem fair if the host teen was allowed to spend $20 per day, and your son had access to $50 per day.

Archived