Do you smoke?

jdcml

Do you smoke?  

924 members have voted

1. 1. Do you smoke?

• Yes
    • No

So according to CCL, 90% of their passengers don't smoke. That number seems awfully high to me! The American Heart Association puts the number of smokers at just about 20% in the United States in general.

Since there have been posts about the unscientific research that CCL has done to come up with that number I thought I would just add one more unscientific way to get information.

Thanks!

So according to CCL, 90% of their passengers don't smoke. That number seems awfully high to me! The American Heart Association puts the number of smokers at just about 20% in the United States in general.

Since there have been posts about the unscientific research that CCL has done to come up with that number I thought I would just add one more unscientific way to get information.

Thanks!

It is my understanding that Carnival is not saying that the cruise population as a whole is only 10% smokers....

I believe this 10% actually refers to the number of people who smoke in their cabin.

Of all my friends and family that smoke...only ONE does it in their house or in their cabin.

It is my understanding that Carnival is not saying that the cruise population as a whole is only 10% smokers....

I believe this 10% actually refers to the number of people who smoke in their cabin.

Of all my friends and family that smoke...only ONE does it in their house or in their cabin.

Verbatim:

The feedback we received indicated the overwhelming majority of our guests prefer a smoke-free environment. In fact, nearly 90 percent of our guests are non-smokers, with only less than five percent opting to smoke in their staterooms.

While the number seems high, it could be close to accurate.. If you believe the AHA number of 80% and factor in the amount of kids onboard 85-90% might be accurate.

Now the issue that people from outside the US cruise with carnival might skew those numbers..

20% of Americans seems accurate. But the population on a cruise ship is not an exact slice of america as a whole. Those who cruise are generally in the mid-upper levels of financial prosperity and education as opposed to the rest of the country. The fact is: the more educated a person is, and the more money they have, the less likely they are to smoke. That doesn't mean rich people don't smoke. It just means that if you take 100 rich people, and 100 poor people, there will be more smokers in the poor group.

Seems like the number is skewed to me as well - look at the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) poll Carnival took for the Ships - Fascination won hands down. Not saying that its not the best ship - but you can certainly get the results you desire if you pick your demographic carefully...... thats why some defendants in legal proceedings have a jury selection advisor... just give that a bit of thought.

Nonsmoker BTW - gave it up about 2 1/2 years ago and am very happy I did!

This poll, will be biased towards the smokers because it will usually only represent one person in each household (and the one who feels "attacked" by Carnival will be the one who is much more likely to respond, and it will exclude two of the groups which are the most vulnerable to the adverse effects of second-hand smoke (children and older people, both of whom are much less likely to be on a computer avidly following Cruise Critic postings.

I just hope the non-smokers don't try to use an unrepresentative poll like this one to try to "prove" their point. Also, the smokers are much more likely to follow this Carnival policy change. Most of the non-smokers will see the topic, say "Great!" and never even read the posts.

And I would feel the same way if the poll were slanted towards the non-smokers.

I'm against manipulation and misrepresentation in any form. :)

Seems like the number is skewed to me as well - look at the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) poll Carnival took for the Ships - Fascination won hands down. Not saying that its not the best ship - but you can certainly get the results you desire if you pick ypur demographic carefully...... !

Do you have a link to that...why would Carnival want to manipulate the numbers to have Fasicination come up on top??:confused:

I just want to say that I'm not surprised that as of right now the data seems high in favour of smokers. Honestly, most of the folks posting in the 52 threads about this policy are the minority that really has a bee in their bonnet about this change. As a non-smoker and someone who agrees that smoking should only be on balconies and open decks, I've avoided most of these threads and only voted in this poll out of curiosity. I wouldn't expect this to be a fair sampling of the cruising public :p so lets not get too worked up here. Also: I've never known anyone who smoked in their rooms. As a matter of fact, I had no idea that was allowed! I frequently travel with smokers and not a single one has ever lit up in the cabin, even they agree that isn't right.

Thanks!

unfortunately, this poll would only represent cruise critic members who choose to take this poll.

Do you have a link to that...why would Carnival want to manipulate the numbers to have Fasicination come up on top??:confused:

It was on JH fb page a few weeks ago. Wasn't saying that Carnival manipulated the numbers and sorry if you got the impression that I said they did - I am just saying that if you are taking a "poll" and you target certain things - you will get the results you want. Very similar to the way some political polls are taken. They ask a question with a leading statement.......

Fascination is a great class of ship - BTW.:)

:eek: Wow..the results I see so far in this poll are sure different than the 10% smokers that Carnival stated! :confused:
No big mystery. CC members make up only about 2% of the cruising public. Furthermore, smokers might be more likely to answer such a poll in order to attempt to "prove Carnival wrong."

Unscientific, and highly biased.

No big mystery. CC members make up only about 2% of the cruising public. Furthermore, smokers might be more likely to answer such a poll in order to attempt to "prove Carnival wrong."

Who cares, it's all in fun.

Riiiggghhhttt......and non-smokers would never think of doing such a thing. :rolleyes:

Read any CC threads lately? :rolleyes:

:eek: Wow..the results I see so far in this poll are sure different than the 10% smokers that Carnival stated! :confused:

Well the poll is only representative of the people voting on this thread, and there is nothing to say the people here are representative of carnival cruisers in general.

Five of my family will be cruising in October, but i am the only one with a forum account here, so only my vote counts.

I don't think that 10% is unrealistic. I know that fewer than 10% of the adults I know where I live here in Maryland smoke (really, we don't have a single smoker in my office of 47 people), however if I went to Pennsylvania where I'm from the number is probably closer to the 20% national average. I'm sure there are geographical differences.

I don't think that 10% is unrealistic. I know that fewer than 10% of the adults I know where I live here in Maryland smoke (really, we don't have a single smoker in my office of 47 people), however if I went to Pennsylvania where I'm from the number is probably closer to the 20% national average. I'm sure there are geographical differences.

This is exactly why I think that the 90/10 figures are way too low. Even though this poll is only CC members I believe it to be closer to accurate.

Out of 47 people in your WORK PLACE there are zero smokers? I would bet the farm that is not true. I am in an office of over 70 people and only knew of 3 smokers. Recently we had an evening company party in which the alcohol was flowing and AT LEAST 20 part time smokers came out of the closet.

The majority of smokers refrain from smoking while at work.

If I voted then this poll would be unfair because I don't smoke but my dh does.....he would however vote to eliminate smoking in cabins because he can't understand why people do this.

So this poll will prove nothing......but just start another argument.

Archived