Seeing stars and lights from the Wonder

hexdragon

okay, several people in this forum have been on the Wonder in Alaska. Did anyone look up at night? Could you see the stars or the "Northern Lights"? Did you notice any dark places on the ship for stargazing?

I live in a Northeastern city with a lot of light pollution. I'm hoping to see the Milky way again... And I have never seen the aurora borealis :o

I found a website from the University of Anchorage on the northern lights. They are stronger in winter. They also are more likely the further north you are... So it is unlikely... :(

But maybe I will still see the stars, but I couldn't find anywhere dark enough on my Hawaiian cruise...

Unfortunately you'll likely have only four or five hours of darkness on an Alaskan cruise, so the chances of seeing the aurora borealis during the summer months are pretty slim. :-(

I thought that the aurora borealis was seen in the more northen part of

Alaska.

it depends on the level of solar flares. The Aurora has been seen as far south as Washington and Montana after severe solar storms.

Unfortunately the ship itself contributes to light pollution. It often is so lit up that you cannot see the stars. I address the Northern lights but I have been on the Wonder and it is difficult to see the starts. It is the one big complaint I have about cruise ships not being able to see the stars well. I am sure a blacked out ship would give you a wonderful view of the heavens.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived