Quick question- travellers checks, CPH and elsewhere

SJ27

Hi -

I know that in some European countries it is not so easy to change travellers checks, is it easy to do in Denmark? If so is there a bureau de change at the airport? (will have Amex EUR T/C's)

Not really planning to use T/Cs in other ports just because of time hassle but it might help other travellers if there was a list of countries that it is easy or not to exchange T/Cs...

Thanks!

Hi -

I know that in some European countries it is not so easy to change travellers checks, is it easy to do in Denmark? If so is there a bureau de change at the airport? (will have Amex EUR T/C's)

Not really planning to use T/Cs in other ports just because of time hassle but it might help other travellers if there was a list of countries that it is easy or not to exchange T/Cs...

Thanks!

Why are you using travelers checks? They are inconvenient to change, are no longer widely accepted, and you get an unfavorable exchange rate.

I always use my ATM card to get local currency and cannot remember the last time I was unable to get it upon arrival at the airport.

Hi -

...but it might help other travellers if there was a list of countries that it is easy or not to exchange T/Cs...

Thanks!

It is not easy in any country (or in the US!) to exchange T/Cs. It hasn't been for years. Technology has moved on and everyone uses ATMs and credit cards.

Your bank will sell them to you - for a fee. Other banks may accept them - for a much bigger fee. Practically no merchant will accept them, except for a few international chain hotels - for a huge fee. And you will spend a lot of time trying to exchange them. Join the 21st Century!

If you feel the need to have some non-credit card funds, bring a few hundred US$ or Euros with you.

Hi -

Thanks!

We took traveler's checks that were free from our credit union and cashed them on the ship. The ONLY reason we used the tc's was to avoid carrying US cash in our pre-cruise travels that was needed to pay for our private SPB tour-although we could have used a cc for a small upcharge.

I'd suggest cashing tc's aboard your ship for the currency you need, but frankly, it's easy to use an ATM in port or pay w/ a cc

It is not easy in any country (or in the US!) to exchange T/Cs. It hasn't been for years. Technology has moved on and everyone uses ATMs and credit cards.

Your bank will sell them to you - for a fee. Other banks may accept them - for a much bigger fee. Practically no merchant will accept them, except for a few international chain hotels - for a huge fee. And you will spend a lot of time trying to exchange them. Join the 21st Century!

If you feel the need to have some non-credit card funds, bring a few hundred US$ or Euros with you.

Never had a problem exchanging them anywhere in London, or at Schipohl... and if you can find an Amex branch there is no fee for exchange. Even recently. The ones I have are left over from my last trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back now.... Funnily enough given the snide remarks above I had no problem changing my t/c's (euro for euro so no exchange rate loss) at the hotel for a flat bank fee that was less than what my bank charges for foreign ATM withdrawals...

Archived