Carnival now Sponosring Meet & Greets

hubofhockey

This is a great idea. I have been to several Meet & Greet's held at the Aft Lido Deck on Embarkation day. Some were well attended and other were not. You will always hear from some one that they would rather meet some other day during the cruise because they will be boarding late in the afternoon. The problem is that you hear this usually from some one who is not that active on the ship and any time is a good time for them to attend. In my case, I plan my entire day based on events posted in the FUN TIMES so 10:30 am or 2:30 pm the next day, may not be the best time for me or for many others for that matter.

The Lido Deck is OK but it is still difficult to identify your Meet & Greet members since it is large with many other cruisers using the same area. A designated place would make it much easy to gather. As far as drinks, they are always obtainable once you board. I see no reason why Carnival should provide them free if they are charging every one else outside the Meet & Greet. Can't blame you for trying, however.

An effort is being made to supply an area and to advertise it, I think that is a start. It doesn't mean that it can't be changed at another time if Carnival hears that it isn't working out or sees that it isn't well attended.

I am grateful.

That would be wonderful! If John had it his way I'm sure that it would be like that.

Out of the hundred or so Meet & Mingles I've put together for Cruise Critic roll calls only one group was disappointed and that was because one of the members flat out lied to them.

None of the M&Ms that I've attended were attended by the Master of the ship. Personally, I'd prefer he stay on the bridge and tend to his duties. Some, about half, have had the cruise director or at least a member of his/her entertainment staff attend. None of the M&Ms have been boring in the least.

I think that leaving it up to the cruise director is the way to do it... attend... don't attend but don't promise anything. That's how folks get disappointed.

:)

I am trying to organize one for our Breezer's cruise that leaves on the 24th of Nov 2012 but I am trying to get it booked for the 1st at sea day so everyone will be able to attend that wants to attend...but..

I know for me the 2:30 thing on embarkation day will be fine as we usually get the 1st shuttle available to get to the ports early enough to eat and look around the ship..:D

Drop me an email. I suspect I can help...

i think he's trying to mend the widening rift between cruise critic and carnival /the blog, and the facebook page.

it's gotten quite ugly.

Nope... just something that's been in the works for a while. As I mentioned, the folks on the Conquest have been doing this (on their own...) for a while...

Out of the hundred or so Meet & Mingles I've put together for Cruise Critic roll calls only one group was disappointed and that was because one of the members flat out lied to them.

None of the M&Ms that I've attended were attended by the Master of the ship. Personally, I'd prefer he stay on the bridge and tend to his duties. Some, about half, have had the cruise director or at least a member of his/her entertainment staff attend. None of the M&Ms have been boring in the least.

I think that leaving it up to the cruise director is the way to do it... attend... don't attend but don't promise anything. That's how folks get disappointed.

Well said. I do think, however, that even a quick visit from CD or a ship's officer would make a big statement.

Regardless of attendance by CCL staff - this is a wonderful thing for them to do.

BTW, I am certain I read a recent review which indicated RCL supplied alcoholic beverages at their M & M.:cool:

Ive been to 5 RCCL M&M and have never been offered a free cocktail. They have may have a bar open or maybe bar service depending on the location. Ive only seen lemonade or ice tea.

The only time Royal offered free drinks, is when we had the bomb threat. That was last year, on the Mariner, while in PV.

Back to the OP... I think it is great Carnival is starting to do this on fleet wide basis. But I do agree with others, it is nicer on the first sea day, than embarkation day

A step in the right direction. Thanks John :)

Best M&G so far was the NCL Star. We had about 30 people attend and in walks the Captain, Hotel Director, F&B Director, Cruise Director, and like 3 other officers. It was amazing. They each spoke a little bit about what they do and answered all our questions.

The HD let us know if we had any concerns to call him. Well my sister and I were sad to learn the craps table minimum was $10 so we called him. That same night it was changed to 5$!

Also they offered us a bridge tour- amazing! And my sister and I saw the captain later that cruise and he remembered us from the M&G and we chatted with him for a few min.

They served coffee, iced tea, water, cookies, and pastries.

With Carnival giving us a room, maybe eventually they will get to the level of NCL. We can only be appreciative of what they offer hope it will encourage them to give more :)

I like the idea of an 'advertised' meet and greet - but agree the suggested timing is a bit off - not everyone is on the ship - and many are 'busy' with other things.

I usually suggest 2 M&Gs - one right AFTER muster - on an open deck (yes lido deck aft/pizza area usually a good choice)....then another on the 1st sea day (usually next day?) around 2:30 pm - inside somewhere - and those that are interested can proceed together to tea time!!!

I like the idea of an 'advertised' meet and greet - but agree the suggested timing is a bit off - not everyone is on the ship - and many are 'busy' with other things.

I usually suggest 2 M&Gs - one right AFTER muster - on an open deck (yes lido deck aft/pizza area usually a good choice)....then another on the 1st sea day (usually next day?) around 2:30 pm - inside somewhere - and those that are interested can proceed together to tea time!!!

That is the way we have done it also. All that being said, an advertised one on embarkation day is fine.

On a positive note for the many many wonderful Cruise Critic people I have asked our Cruise Directors to include every cruise starting next week the following ' CRUISE CRITIC MEET AND GREET " and a location in the FT's. This will be on embarkation day at 2:30pm at various locations depending on the ship. Cheers

Facebook posting from Heald.

1st full day is great . this will be good for our Inaugural Breeze group

I am trying to organize one for our Breezer's cruise that leaves on the 24th of Nov 2012 but I am trying to get it booked for the 1st at sea day so everyone will be able to attend that wants to attend...but..

I know for me the 2:30 thing on embarkation day will be fine as we usually get the 1st shuttle available to get to the ports early enough to eat and look around the ship..:D

Well I think ours will be well attended because a bunch of us are doing the B2B. For our paid one I think it makes sense that first sea day.

Latest from JH: Afternoon of first sea day.

That just makes more sense.

Now you can have the informal M&G on embarkation day, with the official one on first sea day.

All we need is enough roll call members to make it matter, hahahahaha:D.

I sailed RCL on my first cruise and decide to give CCl a try to see the difference. Before I even get a chance to get aboard it keeps getting better and better.

Most of the people I have talked with prefer the day of embarkation - but we will have two.... so its all good. We had one group that met and had such a great time we all changed our dining assignments so we could have dinner together! Now if you met the first sea day, that would not have happened. We are cruising with one of those couples in November.

When we were on Magic last month, we had two M&G's - the first one was around 5pm at the Tides Pool & Bar area of the Lido Deck (aft), and the second one was at 2:30pm on our second sea day at Red Frog Pub. The first one was very well attended - around 50 people I think... the second one maybe 15-20 people showed up.

We had a blast at both, and are really glad that Carnival has stepped up to the plate and made this happen fleet wide!

OK, I will try Carnival's Meet & Greet but I have decided to have another one 1st day at sea!

This is for anyone who wants to come and those who haven't gotten on the ship yet. Mine will be in the atrium at 11AM, Tuesday, June 28th. I will be sittting in one of the couches across from the purser's desk probably reading a book! There is a bar right there for those who want refreshments.

I hope to meet the couple from Long Island and anyone from my old state of New Jersey as well as people from NC where we live now! Heck, I'd like to meet everybody!!!

OK, I will try Carnival's Meet & Greet but I have decided to have another one 1st day at sea!

This is for anyone who wants to come and those who haven't gotten on the ship yet. Mine will be in the atrium at 11AM, Tuesday, June 28th. I will be sittting in one of the couches across from the purser's desk probably reading a book! There is a bar right there for those who want refreshments.

I hope to meet the couple from Long Island and anyone from my old state of New Jersey as well as people from NC where we live now! Heck, I'd like to meet everybody!!!

ummmm maybe tell everyone what ship you will be on ;)

That just makes more sense.

Now you can have the informal M&G on embarkation day, with the official one on first sea day.

All we need is enough roll call members to make it matter, hahahahaha:D.

I sailed RCL on my first cruise and decide to give CCl a try to see the difference. Before I even get a chance to get aboard it keeps getting better and better.

There is no good answer on the best day to do it. We are on the Magic out of Barcelona on August 5. The first and only sea day isn't until August 11. With the cruise ending on August 14, that makes little sense. But doing it on embarcation day at 2:30 pm is tough as well. As others from the Magic have done, we have decided to do ours near the tables at the Tides Pool area after the safety drill or at 5 pm, whichever is sooner, on embarcation day. There is a decent amount of tour sharing that we thought it made sense to do it on embarcation day. Our roll call is kind of dead, but busy enough for us to have an informal get together (30 or so?).

Archived