Whos ready to see a ship back on the West Coast? I am!

Given their previous, less than favorable experience on the West Coast and the lack of diversity of possible ports of call and, couple it with the fact that even their competitors have significantly reduced their presence there, it seems very unlikely that RCI will be returning any of the ships in the fleet in the foreseeable future. 2013 seems much too soon to expect that to happen, given all the factors that would have to change. There are a dedicated band of loyalists on this board who are lobbying for RCI to return but I don't think that the cruiseline will allow itself to make the same mistake twice and will need much more evidence that they could sail more profitably from California than from other ports in the US and elsewhere. There was a recent conference which discussed the feasibility of some of the major cruise lines increasing their presence in the Canada/New England market, and the cruise line executives who participated in the conference pretty much indicated that, for a number of similar reasons, that wasn't going to happen. Deployment of their fleets is a complex subject and such decisions have to be based on hard numbers and not emotion.

Have you ever taken a cruise out of the west coast? Why do you always seem to be compelled to bash us? FYI there competitors STILL HAVE SEVERAL SHIPS BASED HERE! Yes we would love to have a ship back here doing different itineraries.

I cant wait for one to get back to the Socal West Coast.

One of my favorite ports over the years has been Zihuatanejo. Many times with Carnival but my last was on the Radiance. I miss that port and I will miss the ROS

Maybe after she does a couple seasons down under, Mexico will have calmed down, she can come back for a season or 2.

Have you ever taken a cruise out of the west coast? Why do you always seem to be compelled to bash us? FYI there competitors STILL HAVE SEVERAL SHIPS BASED HERE! Yes we would love to have a ship back here doing different itineraries.

Yea showin some pride.

Count me in too. !! Loved, loved, loved Radiance.

I heard somewhere, now that Radiance and Voyager are going to Australia, that 'maybe' Rhapsody 'may' come here next yr.

My question was "Why Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager, and soon OOsterdam, and Spirit all in Australia?"

For us too, it's all about the ship. We live In San Diego, and honestly, the only port I wouldn't go to is Acapulco.

Pat

No need to take what I have written personally. It was not meant that way. Actually, i cruised to the Mexican Riviera on a Princess ship but having done it once, I am not anxious to repeat the experience. I don't doubt that you would "love to have a ship back" and I'm not trying to trash you, only trying to inject a little realism and less emotionalism into the discussion. The competitors still have ships based there but they have far fewer there now than they had only a few years ago. There are also a very limited number of different itineraries that are available and that would attract sufficient new and repeat cruisers that might convince RCI to do what you think they should. Those are the facts and unfortunately they don't support the idea of returning one of their ships to the West Coast, especially when the economy is still far from recovered. Basically it is all about the money and as long as they can make more profit by locating their ships in other parts of the world, that is what they will do.

No need to take what I have written personally. It was not meant that way. Actually, i cruised to the Mexican Riviera on a Princess ship but having done it once, I am not anxious to repeat the experience. I don't doubt that you would "love to have a ship back" and I'm not trying to trash you, only trying to inject a little realism and less emotionalism into the discussion. The competitors still have ships based there but they have far fewer there now than they had only a few years ago. There are also a very limited number of different itineraries that are available and that would attract sufficient new and repeat cruisers that might convince RCI to do what you think they should. Those are the facts and unfortunately they don't support the idea of returning one of their ships to the West Coast, especially when the economy is still far from recovered. Basically it is all about the money and as long as they can make more profit by locating their ships in other parts of the world, that is what they will do.

It's not personal. I just have a different opinion than yours. The facts are the market was flooded with ships in 2008-2010. RCI pulled out of the 3 and 4 day market which is the stepping stone to adding new and repeat customers, time has proved this was a bad decision:confused: There competitors are here doing any number of nights and different itineraries and destinations making a profit, RCI choose to leave:eek: They left us here:mad: Those are facts not emotions NEGC. Your post have shown you have nothing good to say about cruising out of the west coast based on a past experience with Princess not Royal Caribbean. Hmm my opinion is thats a dam shame!

Princess is now considering or has already stopped going to Puerta Varta (sp i know) and has stopped Motezlan (sp again) because of the danger to passengers. That leaves Cabo. and ?? won't fly to west coast for that.

Ensenada is the other port that Sapphire Princess will be visiting. If we loved a particular ship and DH had a week of vacation time to burn (or if we were retired), we'd do that itinerary, but wouldn't do much on shore.

Given their previous, less than favorable experience on the West Coast and the lack of diversity of possible ports of call and, couple it with the fact that even their competitors have significantly reduced their presence there, it seems very unlikely that RCI will be returning any of the ships in the fleet in the foreseeable future. 2013 seems much too soon to expect that to happen, given all the factors that would have to change. There are a dedicated band of loyalists on this board who are lobbying for RCI to return but I don't think that the cruiseline will allow itself to make the same mistake twice and will need much more evidence that they could sail more profitably from California than from other ports in the US and elsewhere. There was a recent conference which discussed the feasibility of some of the major cruise lines increasing their presence in the Canada/New England market, and the cruise line executives who participated in the conference pretty much indicated that, for a number of similar reasons, that wasn't going to happen. Deployment of their fleets is a complex subject and such decisions have to be based on hard numbers and not emotion.

I get the impression (haven't researched it thoroughly) that there are more ships doing the Canada/NE itineraries in the next few years - RCI has added a ship (Brilliance) for 2012, and I have to say that the itineraries are really attractive.

Count me in too. !! Loved, loved, loved Radiance.

I heard somewhere, now that Radiance and Voyager are going to Australia, that 'maybe' Rhapsody 'may' come here next yr.

My question was "Why Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager, and soon OOsterdam, and Spirit all in Australia?"

For us too, it's all about the ship. We live In San Diego, and honestly, the only port I wouldn't go to is Acapulco.

Pat

According to the CD on Rhapsody (I think that's who I heard it from), Australia is the fastest-growing segment of the world cruising market. So it stands to reason that there would be a stampede Down Under to take advantage.

Nobody wants an RCI ship on the West Coast more than I do, but I think that the situation in Mexico makes it unlikely for the next few years.:(

Would love to see Royal return to the West Coast---it's so much easier for us to get to CA than FL, where it's an all day event to fly in.

Did the Monarch twice years ago (love Catalina). Only drawback would be if Royal reinstated that "lovely" port of call, Ensenda :eek:.

I get the impression (haven't researched it thoroughly) that there are more ships doing the Canada/NE itineraries in the next few years - RCI has added a ship (Brilliance) for 2012, and I have to say that the itineraries are really attractive.

Nobody wants an RCI ship on the West Coast more than I do, but I think that the situation in Mexico makes it unlikely for the next few years.:(

I believe that MSC has announced that they are not returning to Canada/New England in 2012, and the Brilliance and most of the other ships do Canada/ NE only in the fall. One of the conference participants, Dan Hanrahan of Celebrity noted that the ports on this itinerary have to expand its appeal beyond the fall foliage season and they need to improve their marketing and create more demand if they expect the lines to expand their season into the spring and summer months. He also noted that their most profitable cruises in the summer months are in the Mediterranean. A spokeman for the smaller American Cruise Line noted that while 100% of his line's summer itineraries used to be the Canada/NE region, it has now been reduced to 50%. Crystal is increasing its presence but will wait to see the results before making future commitments. Still another problem that they cited was the reception that their passengers sometimes get from locals who are less than enthusiastic about the influx of passengers from cruise ships.

As much as I would like to see more and varied itineraries and a longer season of sailings from ports such as Boston, I think I have to be realistic about my expectations. Wishing will not necessarily make it so.

I think you are correct in your beliefs about the problems that Mexico poses for cruise lines and are likely to hinder any resurgence of cruises out of California.:)

I would love to see another RCI ship here on the west coast but I really doubt that would happen. In fact I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see all the ships pull out of the Mexico itinerary completely within the next couple of years.

I tell my DH, we are gonna have to start flying to cruise.:eek:

Toni

Cruise lines are leaving for pure ecomomic reasons. If they could make more on the West coast than other locations they would stay. I think two major reasons limit their profitability. First, they have limited safe ports to visit. Second, in the case of California, it ranks atop the worst state for businesses for the second year in a row. The reasons include taxes, regulations, workforce quality, and living environment (don't shoot the messenger). IMO I don't see either of these conditions changing in the near future so for those hoping to see a return of RCL, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Just returned from the Explorer, and the question was asked at our meet and mingle, about a ship returning to the west coast. We were told no, there would not be one, at least through 2012.

I've already made my reservation on the Sapphire Princess for next year. Traveling to New Jersey or Florida is such a hassle, even though I prefer Royal Caribbean.

Well I live in Fl and flew out to Cali in 2009 to visit my first love... The Mariner of the Seas....had a fine time loved everything about the trip.

But it eems RCi could not keep that ship full......We had a JS for $995 ppl...way cheap for such a ship and cabin. I used to check the prices and they were always very low...............that's a sign to me that people are just not saling.

If you Westerners are upset RCI pulled out.....Blame westerners........you did not use it and you lost it!

It's a terrible loss for Cali...the Mariner is a fine ship!.

Would love to see Royal return to the West Coast---it's so much easier for us to get to CA than FL, where it's an all day event to fly in.

Did the Monarch twice years ago (love Catalina). Only drawback would be if Royal reinstated that "lovely" port of call, Ensenda :eek:.

They don't have any choice on a 3-night cruise. They have to make a foreign port, and that's the closest one. Now, if they did alternated some 7-night coastal cruises with Hawaii and throw in the occasional 3-4 nighter for working stiffs who can't take the longer cruises, that would be interesting.

I believe that MSC has announced that they are not returning to Canada/New England in 2012, and the Brilliance and most of the other ships do Canada/ NE only in the fall. One of the conference participants, Dan Hanrahan of Celebrity noted that the ports on this itinerary have to expand its appeal beyond the fall foliage season and they need to improve their marketing and create more demand if they expect the lines to expand their season into the spring and summer months. He also noted that their most profitable cruises in the summer months are in the Mediterranean. A spokeman for the smaller American Cruise Line noted that while 100% of his line's summer itineraries used to be the Canada/NE region, it has now been reduced to 50%. Crystal is increasing its presence but will wait to see the results before making future commitments. Still another problem that they cited was the reception that their passengers sometimes get from locals who are less than enthusiastic about the influx of passengers from cruise ships.

As much as I would like to see more and varied itineraries and a longer season of sailings from ports such as Boston, I think I have to be realistic about my expectations. Wishing will not necessarily make it so.

I think you are correct in your beliefs about the problems that Mexico poses for cruise lines and are likely to hinder any resurgence of cruises out of California.:)

I see, I was just looking at fall cruises. I don't see how they'll create demand without a product. As for the local reception, I would rather have a New Englander sniff disdainfully (I'm from there, know how it's done;)) than be harassed mercilessly by merchants in the Caribbean.

Well I live in Fl and flew out to Cali in 2009 to visit my first love... The Mariner of the Seas....had a fine time loved everything about the trip.

But it eems RCi could not keep that ship full......We had a JS for $995 ppl...way cheap for such a ship and cabin. I used to check the prices and they were always very low...............that's a sign to me that people are just not saling.

If you Westerners are upset RCI pulled out.....Blame westerners........you did not use it and you lost it!

It's a terrible loss for Cali...the Mariner is a fine ship!.

They filled the ship every cruise, but at rock bottom prices. I suspect that what really impacted their profitability was the lack of sales onboard and/or shore excursion purchases.

And blaming westerners is a cheap and easy shot, but the reality is that the market was oversaturated in the middle of a terrible recession. Carnival had 3 ships, RCI two, then Princess and NCL were also regulars.

RCI even managed to cannibalize their own product by putting Radiance in San Diego - we could sail 10 nights on her for the same number of vacation days as a 7-nighter on Mariner. That's kind of a no-brainer.

So we've resigned ourselves to flying to our RCI cruises for awhile. And taking other lines when we just can't face LAX.

They don't have any choice on a 3-night cruise. They have to make a foreign port, and that's the closest one. Now, if they did alternated some 7-night coastal cruises with Hawaii and throw in the occasional 3-4 nighter for working stiffs who can't take the longer cruises, that would be interesting.

I couldn't agree more.

And blaming westerners is a cheap and easy shot, but the reality is that the market was oversaturated in the middle of a terrible recession. Carnival had 3 ships, RCI two, then Princess and NCL were also regulars.

Critterchick -- (as usual) you hit the nail squarely on the head, on this one! :p

To me, blaming the West-Coast folks for not supporting a ship out here, makes no more sense than blaming the Europeans for the clearly over-saturated market they now have. :confused:

And, like many of the other posters, I would have loved to see RC institute a seasonal Pacific Coastal / wine country route, in addition to the Mexican itinerary. Can you really blame people for not wanting to sail the same route over and over again? :rolleyes:

As to the dangerous situation in Mexico, I read the papers too. But, I frankly felt safer in the Mexican Riviera than I did in Jamaica, or Belize City -- and RC is still sailing to both of those places! :eek:

Archived