dress code for dinner?

vols_159

What is the current dress code for the MDR ? Im a simple guy and dressing up for dinner on vacation is not gonna happen.. I plan on wearing a collared shirt and khakis.. Is this a problem for anyone?

That is absolutely fine. The majority of the men will probably be wearing the same. I know my hubby wears a pair of Dockers & either a button down or pullover 3 button shirt. Have a great cruise!!

im a casual person and dont have a desire to dress up for anything... Im getting married soon and my soon to be wife told me I didnt have wear a tux for our wedding.. She got alot of brownie points!

I'm piggy-backing w/ a related question - hope you don't mind.

We'll be dressed appropriately for elegant night; my question is regarding casual nights. It sounds like hubby can wear nice dress shorts and a golf/polo type shirt w/out a problem on casual nights. Can he wear his tennis shoes? He doesn't really have sandals and doesn't like leather shoes w/out socks. He has leather reefs for flip flops. Are either the tennish shoes or those types of flip flops ok?

What is the current dress code for the MDR ? Im a simple guy and dressing up for dinner on vacation is not gonna happen.. I plan on wearing a collared shirt and khakis.. Is this a problem for anyone?

Absolutely should not be a problem for anyone...have fun!

im a casual person and dont have a desire to dress up for anything... Im getting married soon and my soon to be wife told me I didnt have wear a tux for our wedding.. She got alot of brownie points!

Good woman there...hold on to her:D

I have been on two Carnival cruises in recent years and would say shirts & khakis are fine for casual nights but on elegant night, you would still be OK (and not be a "problem" for me), but in the minority in the MDR. I saw few tuxes, but many suits, or slacks with jacket with or without a tie, or sometimes a dress shirt & tie without a jacket. The women were mostly in cocktail dresses, which often compensated for their slightly more casual male companion. Some other posters' comments/questions suggest a more dress-down style than what I saw on Carnival -- maybe it varies by ship, itinerary, time of year, etc.

Whatever, have a great cruise.

We'll be dressed appropriately for elegant night; my question is regarding casual nights. It sounds like hubby can wear nice dress shorts and a golf/polo type shirt w/out a problem on casual nights. Can he wear his tennis shoes? He doesn't really have sandals and doesn't like leather shoes w/out socks. He has leather reefs for flip flops. Are either the tennish shoes or those types of flip flops ok?

My dad wears black Nikes for shoes. No one says a thing- no sandles tho

"Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats" (CARNIVAL.COM FAQS)

"Search" is your friend!

As has been discussed here ad nauseum, thongs (both kinds), wife beaters, sweats, gym shorts, g strings and large flowered muu-muus will not get you turned away. There is no need to shower beforehand.

In other words, the dress-code is not enforced. Anything goes...

YMMV

"Search" is your friend!

As has been discussed here ad nauseum, thongs (both kinds), wife beaters, sweats, gym shorts, g strings and large flowered muu-muus will not get you turned away. There is no need to shower beforehand.

In other words, the dress-code is not enforced. Anything goes...

YMMV

I think someone asked this before and I missed the reply. What are wife beaters? Thanks

HAHA..off topic to the OP..but..I told my fiance the same thing..I was hoping that he would choose not to. He needed a new suit anyway..I told him that I would rather spend the same amount to buy him a new suit as to rent a tux. I even told him that Dress shirts and ties were fine with me..but he picked suits.

The only night that my fiance didn't wear his tennis shoes to dinner was when he wore his suit. So yes that is fine.

Actually, if you are talking about cruise casual nights you will be overdressed lol. Shorts (not for the gym, but cargo or "long" ones) and jeans are allowed and popular.

so is kahakis shorts ok in the MDR okay everynight i know on NCL they are.. They have a couple dress up or not nights.. where somepeople go all out in tuxs suites ect.. and then theres people like me wearing kahkis shorts and a polo t shirt.. Just a question not meaning to offend anyone.. Just gettin a take on what cruise line i would be interested in trying next.. Ive asked this same question in other cruise line threads like princess celebrity and RCCI and gotten harsh remarks.. But on here ive gotten a good response.. Thanks for that.. Rcci and Princess both deleted my threads..

so is kahakis shorts ok in the MDR okay everynight i know on NCL they are.. They have a couple dress up or not nights.. where somepeople go all out in tuxs suites ect.. and then theres people like me wearing kahkis shorts and a polo t shirt.. Just a question not meaning to offend anyone.. Just gettin a take on what cruise line i would be interested in trying next.. Ive asked this same question in other cruise line threads like princess celebrity and RCCI and gotten harsh remarks.. But on here ive gotten a good response.. Thanks for that.. Rcci and Princess both deleted my threads..

I am sorry those other lines deleted the threads. Here on Carnival as long as you are dressed appropriate, no one is going to say a word. My hubby wears his birkentstock sandals or Converse Tennis on non-formal nights. He has dress shoes for the formal nights. I had to wear my jeweled flip flops to dinner the last cruise we were on ( Carnival Destiny) due to swelling in my feet...I literally could not get any shoes but the jeweled flip flops. I had no issue with going to dinner.

Really what you wear is your buisiness...as long as it is not a wife-beater type shirt, ect. They are very accomodating.

book with Carnival and enjoy your cruise!

HAHA..off topic to the OP..but..I told my fiance the same thing..I was hoping that he would choose not to. He needed a new suit anyway..I told him that I would rather spend the same amount to buy him a new suit as to rent a tux. I even told him that Dress shirts and ties were fine with me..but he picked suits.

love it,

i'm getting married in September and even though my fiance is wearing a tux, he's wearing runners with it (really classy looking ones, him and all the boys are wearing the same kind and it looks awesome) and he loves me extra for it; he doesn't mind dressing up, but the dress shoes are his least favourite part. I wish he could get away with having his fancy sneaks on board but i don't think it will fly.

No, they are not. No shorts and no jeans in the MDR on elegant nights.

After three CCL cruises...I think I've packed my last coat and tie!:D

My first cruise I went BY THE BOOK... Suit/tie for formal night and dress slacks/button up shirt other nights...

Second cruise... Suit/tie for the two formal nights and dress pants/polo OR dress shorts/polo other nights..

THIRD cruise... Suit/tie for ONE formal night(first formal night is usually MORE formal) and dress pants/shirt/sandals other "formal" night. Nice shorts/shirt every other night.

Fourth cruise.... I ain't takin' no stinkin tie!

I'm thinking if a man wears dress pants(khakis)/shirt on "formal" nights they are good.

I'm thinking you would fit right in!

after three ccl cruises...i think i've packed my last coat and tie!:d

my first cruise i went by the book... Suit/tie for formal night and dress slacks/button up shirt other nights...

Second cruise... Suit/tie for the two formal nights and dress pants/polo or dress shorts/polo other nights..

Third cruise... Suit/tie for one formal night(first formal night is usually more formal) and dress pants/shirt/sandals other "formal" night. Nice shorts/shirt every other night.

I'm thinking if a man wears dress pants(khakis)/shirt on "formal" nights they are good.

I am right there with you our last cruise we wore the nice dress shorts on off nights and it felt great , much less to pack. Our waiters could have cared less they were happy we showed up every night for dinner we had a great cruise.

After three CCL cruises...I think I've packed my last coat and tie!:D

My first cruise I went BY THE BOOK... Suit/tie for formal night and dress slacks/button up shirt other nights...

Second cruise... Suit/tie for the two formal nights and dress pants/polo OR dress shorts/polo other nights..

THIRD cruise... Suit/tie for ONE formal night(first formal night is usually MORE formal) and dress pants/shirt/sandals other "formal" night. Nice shorts/shirt every other night.

you got away with sandals? i wonder if my fiance could get away with his wedding runners then.... hmmmmm

Archived