Help decide - Sapphire or Golden to Hawaii

heylo811

Hi folks - we're hoping you can help us decide! We're torn between the Nov. 23 sailing on the Golden to Hawaii and the Nov. 26 sailing on the Sapphire. We'll be on the Caribe deck room 309 on either. The only difference is early dining is still available on the Golden and we are waitlisted on the Sapphire.

Any recommendations? All advice is appreciated!

Some like the Golden because it has been retrofitted with MUTS, the International Cafe, etc. I am sailing on the Sapphire at Christmas because the Saturday sailing date works better for my schedule. Golden sails on Wednesdays.

You are still far enough away from your sail date that you could clear the waitlist on your dining room choice on the Sapphire. Do you want to have Thanksgiving on the ship? November 23 Golden sailing would include Thanksgiving and the Sapphire sailing does not include Thanksgiving. Both ships are beautiful. I think you cannot go wrong with either.

We too are trying to decide, and we've already been on the Golden. We loved it, especially the cruise director and Eula (my husband learned to play the uke and just got his second one for Father's Day). The only downside for us is, we took the Golden in December and the Grand last month, and they are so much alike, it would be nice to have a different ship to explore. That said, we'll prob pick the Golden.

Having done this cruise on the golden, I would recommend that. But not to make it even harder for you, the Star Princess is also doing Hawaii next year out of San Francisco and we are booked for that one. We enjoyed the sea days so much we want more:D

And you are the reason why it's so hard to make a decision. Gil really enjoyed his lessons..in fact he is going to play at our grandsons HS graduation (we got him one in HI also) with our grandson. Gil now has his second uke..a small traveling one.

Do you ever offer another level (more intermediate like the one time you all met) than like you offered in December?

Golden....but then again, I have a small bias. :) I work on her.

Dave

(Elua)

Hi everyone! I chose the Golden and made my reservation this morning:).

I've never joined a roll call, but heard so much from other passengers on our last cruise, that I plan to join the roll call for this sailing.

Robin

I've been on Golden to Hawaii and was on Sapphire Mexican Riviera in May. Choose the Golden. As others have said EULA really adds to your Hawaii experience. Also Golden Cruise Director David Cole is exceedingly better than the Sapphires Tim Donovan.

Cruise Directors (CD) and other officers do not remain permanently on the same ship.

CDs or the CD staff members do not care whether you are Platinum, Elite, Suite pax etc. They love those who participate actively in the ship activities / events and also like it when pax show their appreciation for their efforts. We go to sailaways, island dances (even if we don't dance), say Hi to them as we enter the theater, etc. And by the end of the cruise they recognize us. Just personalizes the cruise a bit.

Ive never understood the whole cruise director thing. In all my cruises, we never interact with them. Am I missing something? Maybe they are more attentive to platinum or elites?

Ive never understood the whole cruise director thing. In all my cruises, we never interact with them. Am I missing something? Maybe they are more attentive to platinum or elites?

Are you missing something? Yes and No. Depends upon the cruise. In the case of the Golden to Hawaii, Dave Cole and his efforts, along with Elua, do so much to enhance the total cruise experience. If you were on another ship doing the same sailing, you probably wouldn't miss it, unless you already had the Cole/Elua experience.

Personally, I do watch the Morning Show, or Wake UP Show almost every morning. A cruise director who does a good job on that makes the start of my day a little better. A cruise director who is visible and interacts nicely with passengers can enhance the cruise experience. A cruise director who is distant - well, it's just memories and experiences that the passengers will not have. I don't think it ruins a cruise, it just doesn't do anything to enhance the experience.

More attentive to platinum and elites? Not really. More attentive to involved, positive, happy passengers - you bet!!

Ginger

I would definately do the Sapphire Princess over the Golden...We have done many ships in the fleet, and did the Golden to Hawaii 2 years ago. I must say that ship was lacking.....I cannot quite put my finger on it..but

we just did not enjoy it, as we have other ships...The Sapphire I hear is

one of the best in the fleets....and the staff is terrific....that would be my pick !!!

BJB

We too are trying to decide, and we've already been on the Golden. We loved it, especially the cruise director and Eula (my husband learned to play the uke and just got his second one for Father's Day). The only downside for us is, we took the Golden in December and the Grand last month, and they are so much alike, it would be nice to have a different ship to explore. That said, we'll prob pick the Golden.

DMRick, we learned how to play and purchased ukelele's as well on the Golden! We recently sailed on the Sapphire to experience a "new" ship. Hands down...the Golden Princess is our choice. Aloha.:)

Aloha Kakou,

Well, first of all, big mahalos for the nice things you are saying about Leialoha and myself, and of course the wonderful Golden Princess. I am sure whichever ship people choose, they will have a wonderful time. The sea days are always relaxing and enjoyable and of course Hawai'i, is.....well....Hawai'i. Can't beat it.

So to some answers:

DMRick-unfortunately, that one "intermediate class" is the only one that I offer for the cruise. Between all the other activities and performances and the like, it is really the only spot that I have to do one.

insag-yes, Leialoha and I will be onboard for Nov and Dec this season. as a matter of fact, we are on for the entire season. We decided when we started the program that we would sign on for the entire season. We feel that it is neccessary to have some consistency in the program, and we felt that if they tried to find other people to "fill in" for us, it might adversely effect the program. We stay on from the late September through mid-May....16 cruises. It might seem very long, but also remember that we do not perform on ships during the summertime, so we get plenty of time to recharge our batteries.

So, there are a couple of answers for everybody. If anyone has any other questions, I can do my best to answer them. Oh, I do have to clear up something. I did this on another thread as well....I must point out that the name of our duo is ELUA....not EULA. No big deal....ELUA is the Hawaiian word for "two". My wife's name is Leialoha....alot of people assume that since she is the local girl, her name must be Elua. By the way, alot of people ask about her name. It means "garland of love"....very pretty, don't you think....and very fitting.

Have a great summer everyone, and hopefully we will get to see a lot of you on the Golden this season.

A Hui Hou,

Dave

(from Elua)

We booked Golden last winter, had to cancel and have booked it again for this Feb.

We did so for 3 Reasons (I have mentioned on other similar posts)

1. Elua

2. David Cole

3. A princess Ship.

We can't wait.

For those who have been on both..the Golden was so much better for storage of hanging clothes, and room in that area outside the bathroom. The shelves were in the back, instead of the front of that area. The Grand was much smaller and awkard especially when two of us were trying to get to our stuff.

Which is the Princess like, the Golden or the Grand?

Thanks!

Archived